Finney already putting a stamp on Teague

budkilmer99

Coach Josh Finney has been nothing but a perfect fit for Teague High School so far. The Varsity and JV boys Track Team both won the 20-2A district titles outright last week in Marlin. The kids already love the guy and are busting their tails for him. Good luck to Coach Finney and the Lions next year and good luck to the Teague track team at the Regional meet in Whitehouse

i can remember reading posts about coach finney from the maud folks and i can tell you first hand they were right.so much energy and a tireless worker and the kids absolutely love him. he has found that this is not 1-9 talent at teague. soph rb ran a 10.5 in the 100 meters in the prelims at district.he also won the 200 meters,long-jump and anchored the 400 meter relay team that took 1st. bothh the 400 and mile relay teams qualified for regionals.after arriving coach talked the kids who were not running track into running.he put them on the jv and they ran away with the meet.two of the kids on jv ran 23.6 and 23.7 in the 200 meters with no training.teague has over 90 kids out at this time.i have to agree with budkilmer coach finney is the perfect fit for teague.good luck to all the kids at teague and to the track team at regionals.

didn't the same thing happen at Waskom, new guy making everyone run track! just don't punish those that don't have any interest in running track, that don't participate!!

Coach Finney has a way of getting the kids to want to do things. Its the guys that can get the "want to" out of kids that are successful. If they buy in to what he is saying they will have great success. Congrats to Coach on a great start in Teague.

no one in teague being punished for anything except these kids do not want a repeat performance of last year.they know they were better than their record.they are willing to do anything for that to never happen again.coach finney has everything under control at teague and these kids love him and the way he is handling everything.i have talked to most of these kids and they are willing to do anything to get us back at the level where we were several years ago.they know our supt. and board members are trying to give them all they need to succeed and the town is backing them all the way.things are changing at teague and its all for the better.coach finney is bringing his people in and blending the holdovers in his way of doing things.no one in teague is being punished and josh finney knows how to fix this problem and everyone in teague is behind him.

Sounds like Teague hired a good one. The fact that Finney came in and required the kids to ALL run track means he wants to find the kids who want to work. Those who only want to "participate" are the ones who will whine about having to run. If they don't want to run, they will kill you when the going gets tough in a football game. The kids who have the heart will run and be winners for you. What Finney is doing is also a reflection on whoever he replaced. No bashing intended, but, if Finney has the same kids as the former coach, something was lacking in the program and Finney is correcting the problem. Good luck to Teague. It looks like you are doing it the right way.

Sounds like Teague hired a good one. The fact that Finney came in and required the kids to ALL run track means he wants to find the kids who want to work. Those who only want to "participate" are the ones who will whine about having to run. If they don't want to run, they will kill you when the going gets tough in a football game. The kids who have the heart will run and be winners for you. What Finney is doing is also a reflection on whoever he replaced. No bashing intended, but, if Finney has the same kids as the former coach, something was lacking in the program and Finney is correcting the problem. Good luck to Teague. It looks like you are doing it the right way.

:happy65:

:happy65:

:highfive:

If he came in and REQUIRED ALL to run track....well you can't do that. Just like you can't require them to come to summer workouts, you can't require them to play a sport.

All great programs require their kids to do things that they do not want to do. It was probably said in a legal way and the kids understand that if player A is doing this and I am not player A is going to play. I am the first to say that you should not make a kid play one sport because he is in another. However, I do agree that kids who quit on themselves when running will quit on their team when it gets tough in any sport and track/cross country are easy ways to see how tough kids are.

All great programs require their kids to do things that they do not want to do. It was probably said in a legal way and the kids understand that if player A is doing this and I am not player A is going to play. I am the first to say that you should not make a kid play one sport because he is in another. However, I do agree that kids who quit on themselves when running will quit on their team when it gets tough in any sport and track/cross country are easy ways to see how tough kids are.

"All great programs require their kids to do things they do not want to do"? I don't think I'd EVER want a kid in my program who hates what he's doing.

I disagree with that statement.

My son had the pleasure of playing for Coach Finney the past two years and I didn't see anyone do anything they didn't want to do. I'm pretty sure the peoples who are bringing up the "requirement" or "punishment" arguement are 1. either from a school who knows Coach is about to Wake a Sleeping Giant or 2. Just like to Stir the Pot.

Good Luck Teague and Coach Finney, And good Luck to all the Track Participants from Teague who are about to compete in the Regional Track Meet.

My son had the pleasure of playing for Coach Finney the past two years and I didn't see anyone do anything they didn't want to do. I'm pretty sure the peoples who are bringing up the "requirement" or "punishment" arguement are 1. either from a school who knows Coach is about to Wake a Sleeping Giant or 2. Just like to Stir the Pot.

Good Luck Teague and Coach Finney, And good Luck to all the Track Participants from Teague who are about to compete in the Regional Track Meet.

3. Been getting their bell rung by Maud the last few years or 4. typical hater on this board (been readin' on this board since '03 and some of the people on here are flat out ignornant and never have anything good to say). Not all, but some.

Really though, who really thinks Finney MADE all the kids run track? I can assure you the kids that didn't want to run track didn't. The ones that did, are the ones that want to get better and are the same ones that will be preventin gettin' their heads kicked in by 40 points every week ever again. (Non-District scores were brutal to the Lions last year). Good thing about Teague is, the kids and coaches (now aboard) are gonna do whatever it takes to have a heckuva turn-around. With the new QB, it will be a lot easier than it would of going into the fall not knowing who your QB was gonna be.

The Coach is doing something that has not been done around here and that is make the kids believe that they can do whatever it takes to win.. Make the kids proud to b Teague Lions and understand that hard work and cofidence is what it take to b successfull.. I'm glad to b a Teague Lion.. Thanks Coach Finney..

"All great programs require their kids to do things they do not want to do"? I don't think I'd EVER want a kid in my program who hates what he's doing.

I disagree with that statement.

So you are tellimg me that all your kids love the extra running and lifting weights they have to do? My kids hate all the running and lifting that we do. Do they do it? Yes. Do they like it? No. Do they like the success that we have? Yes. They all know that this is a big part to our success but if you gave them a choice most of them would not do it on a regular basis. If you are somewhere that you can count on kids to do it without you on their butt then I would never leave.

You know what Miller Grove has never lost a football game!!!

I would not go to school in MG because they do not play football but I will tip my hat to Coach Billingsley at Miller Grove because he has them boys playing some pretty good basketball. He works the snot out of them and then some more. They act right and play hard. He has made some players out of some that most would put in a PE class. Kids want to win but some don't like what it takes to win,- so Coach Billingsley (like most good coaches) must be able to get kids to do things that they dont want to do, in order to win. Nobody should even be arguing/bashing over this nonsense.

i agree with darkside about the bashing on this subject.teague folks are happy about coach finney being here and the changes that he is making to the overall program.the kids have responded to him and i stated earlier they are working their tails off for him.now everyone has opinion how things should be ran and thats their right but we at teague are happy how coach is handling things.