Colt McCoy's Secret

blesseddaily

Colt McCoy's Secret

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine e-mailed this to me, and it was too good not to share with everyone. He had the opportunity to hear Colt McCoy's dad (Brad) speak at the Dallas Christian Leadership Prayer Breakfast. Coach McCoy said that he and his wife raised their children according to the following 4 principles:

1) PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR THE PATH, NOT THE PATH FOR YOUR CHILD

Coach said that we have a book (the Bible) to help us. He cited Proverbs 22:6: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not turn from it." He also cited Proverbs 23:13, which says "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die." It was a funny contrast, but a real contrast. He then said, "Dads, fight for your kids and prepare them!"

2) PREPARE TO BE OUR BEST

Coach cited Corinthians 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race, all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." He said that every day when he would take his kids to school, and upon them exiting the car, he would say to them, "Do your best and be a leader!" He said they listened every time, and even as they got older (4th, 5th, 6th grades), he would repeat these words even if they said, "Yeah, Yeah, dad, I know, do your best and be a leader!" He implored us as parents to instill the same attitude in our homes and in our children. He cited the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, stating that good is the enemy of Great. "We don't aim high and miss, as we would like to believe. In fact, most times, we aim low and hit the mark! As parents, don't aim low, but aim high!"

3) BE A LEADER

He stated that we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses - great leaders that we can draw from, and that our kids can draw from. He said that we all are at the mercy of time and money, and asked a rhetorical question: "How do you spend your time and money?" This will show each of us where our true priorities are. He then quoted Ghandi (even though he didn't ascribe to all of Ghandi's beliefs): "I will not let anyone walk through my mind with dirty feet." He said that his son Colt turned this phrase into his own words: "Thoughts become things." Colt would tell his younger brothers as he mentored them, "You can't talk like that or think like that, because thoughts become things that play themselves out in your life."

4) PREPARE FOR OPEN AND CLOSED DOORS

As a dad, he said it was painful beyond all of his years to watch his son get hurt in the first series of play in the National Championship game at the Rose Bowl. A perfect setting. A setting his son had dreamed of ever since he threw the football with his dad in the front yard as a kid. He said he went over to his son's hotel room after the Championship loss. He went into Colt's room to cheer him up. As he entered the room, he found Colt finishing a devotional. A devotional that read as follows: "My positive energy must be better than my negative energy. My certainty must be stronger than my doubt. The battle is won before I ever start the fight. I choose faith over fear. Leave a legacy of excellence, love, dedication, and service. Jeremiah stated, 'Blessed is the man who's trust is in the Lord." He said as a dad, he had to find a corner of Colt's hotel room to sit down and cry over the maturity of his son. His son was prepared for open and closed doors!

He finished his speech by stating that as he consoled his son under the Rose Bowl stadium, his son stepped into a new mantle of leadership. Rather than return to the field in street clothes, Colt insisted on returning to the field in his uniform to help his team win. He helped the 2nd string qb read the defense, and mentored him over the course of the 3rd and 4th quarters. Colt told his dad that he came to the conclusion that God had prepared him for years leading up to that game, because He wanted me to trust Him!. As Colt was approached by news reporters after the game, the reporters asked Colt how he was feeling, and Colt replied: "I always give God the glory. I never question what God does. God is in control of my life, and if nothing else, I am standing on the Rock!"

Coach McCoy said that his cell phone began lighting up after the game with texts from friends and family members wildly acclaiming the statement that Colt had made. He said that he received letters from non-believers, ministers, Jewish ministers, Muslim ministers, and atheists in the weeks that followed - all pointing to the AMAZING statement that Colt made after the game. He said that as he entered Colt's hotel room that night, he asked his son, "What did you say after the game?" (He had not been able to hear it in the mayhem of the stadium) Colt said, "Dad, I don't know. I don't remember what I said. All I remember is that the reporter asked me a question, and I prayed that God would supply me with the right answer."

Colt McCoy's Secret

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine e-mailed this to me, and it was too good not to share with everyone. He had the opportunity to hear Colt McCoy's dad (Brad) speak at the Dallas Christian Leadership Prayer Breakfast. Coach McCoy said that he and his wife raised their children according to the following 4 principles:

Coach said that we have a book (the Bible) to help us. He cited Proverbs 22:6: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not turn from it." He also cited Proverbs 23:13, which says "Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die." It was a funny contrast, but a real contrast. He then said, "Dads, fight for your kids and prepare them!"

Coach cited Corinthians 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race, all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." He said that every day when he would take his kids to school, and upon them exiting the car, he would say to them, "Do your best and be a leader!" He said they listened every time, and even as they got older (4th, 5th, 6th grades), he would repeat these words even if they said, "Yeah, Yeah, dad, I know, do your best and be a leader!" He implored us as parents to instill the same attitude in our homes and in our children. He cited the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, stating that good is the enemy of Great. "We don't aim high and miss, as we would like to believe. In fact, most times, we aim low and hit the mark! As parents, don't aim low, but aim high!"

3) BE A LEADER

He stated that we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses - great leaders that we can draw from, and that our kids can draw from. He said that we all are at the mercy of time and money, and asked a rhetorical question: "How do you spend your time and money?" This will show each of us where our true priorities are. He then quoted Ghandi (even though he didn't ascribe to all of Ghandi's beliefs): "I will not let anyone walk through my mind with dirty feet." He said that his son Colt turned this phrase into his own words: "Thoughts become things." Colt would tell his younger brothers as he mentored them, "You can't talk like that or think like that, because thoughts become things that play themselves out in your life."

As a dad, he said it was painful beyond all of his years to watch his son get hurt in the first series of play in the National Championship game at the Rose Bowl. A perfect setting. A setting his son had dreamed of ever since he threw the football with his dad in the front yard as a kid. He said he went over to his son's hotel room after the Championship loss. He went into Colt's room to cheer him up. As he entered the room, he found Colt finishing a devotional. A devotional that read as follows: "My positive energy must be better than my negative energy. My certainty must be stronger than my doubt. The battle is won before I ever start the fight. I choose faith over fear. Leave a legacy of excellence, love, dedication, and service. Jeremiah stated, 'Blessed is the man who's trust is in the Lord." He said as a dad, he had to find a corner of Colt's hotel room to sit down and cry over the maturity of his son. His son was prepared for open and closed doors!

He finished his speech by stating that as he consoled his son under the Rose Bowl stadium, his son stepped into a new mantle of leadership. Rather than return to the field in street clothes, Colt insisted on returning to the field in his uniform to help his team win. He helped the 2nd string qb read the defense, and mentored him over the course of the 3rd and 4th quarters. Colt told his dad that he came to the conclusion that God had prepared him for years leading up to that game, because He wanted me to trust Him!. As Colt was approached by news reporters after the game, the reporters asked Colt how he was feeling, and Colt replied: "I always give God the glory. I never question what God does. God is in control of my life, and if nothing else, I am standing on the Rock!"

Coach McCoy said that his cell phone began lighting up after the game with texts from friends and family members wildly acclaiming the statement that Colt had made. He said that he received letters from non-believers, ministers, Jewish ministers, Muslim ministers, and atheists in the weeks that followed - all pointing to the AMAZING statement that Colt made after the game. He said that as he entered Colt's hotel room that night, he asked his son, "What did you say after the game?" (He had not been able to hear it in the mayhem of the stadium) Colt said, "Dad, I don't know. I don't remember what I said. All I remember is that the reporter asked me a question, and I prayed that God would supply me with the right answer."

Got the same email the other day BD. Couldn't wait to get home and share it with my 15-year-old son. Colt is coming to Tyler on the Fourth of July weekend. I can't wait to go hear his testimony in person.

Colt McCoy's Secret

3) BE A LEADER

Great information you took from The Old Coach web site.

This is how the email I received ended....

Brad McCoy then ended his speech by telling a story about a young football player that he was coaching back in his hometown. He said the young football player approached Brad McCoy after he returned from Pasadena and said, “Coach, I heard what your son said after the game, but I have one question: What is the rock?” He said it’s funny son. We sing about it in church. He then began singing accapella: “My hope is built on nothing less, Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand. When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, My anchor holds within the veil. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand. His oath, His covenant, His blood, Support me in the whelming flood. When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my Hope and Stay. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand. When He shall come with trumpet sound, Oh may I then in Him be found. Dressed in His righteousness alone, Faultless to stand before the throne. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand; All other ground is sinking sand.”

By the end of his singing, the entire room of men and women were singing in unison with Brad McCoy. It was truly an amazing morning for the Lord and a truly amazing speech for us to learn from as parents.

As a born and bred Arkansas Razorback it is next to impossible for me to root for a Longhorn. I just might have to cheer for McCoy though.

I think most NFL teams have underestimated McCoy and Tebow. You cannot measure character, leadership, and the IT factor. Both these young men have IT. Some people just know how to win. They will bring much more to teams than athletic ability.

"Great information you took from The Old Coach web site."

I was so excited about the info I failed to post where I got it...it is an e-mail posted on another web-site...I also got one a lot like it in my personal e-mails...just wondering what difference it makes?? It's not copyrighted and the point was to spread some good news...good job of missing the point of the post coach.

CoachTobinReid, how about commenting on how great a post that was, and not worry about where the was originally posted, as it has been sent around through various email, and other messages boards as well. Do you have shares in "the old coach"? I thought rivals bought you out... Blesseddailey....GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!

Got the same email the other day BD. Couldn't wait to get home and share it with my 15-year-old son. Colt is coming to Tyler on the Fourth of July weekend. I can't wait to go hear his testimony in person.

Where and when, how do you get tickets?

Blessed, just about the time I think you have lost your mind for moving to ................, well you know, you make a post like this.

Thanks Bub, Love ya man!!!!

To Blessed and JDB...

I hope our boys would aspire to become leaders like McCoy. We all know each other's kids and know they have the ability. God only knows the stuff they go through on a daily basis, and they don't act like they should at times, but I think deep down, the desire is there to be leaders of men, already being used right now. Your young men are class acts, and I pray that mine is looked at like that, even though he's had a rough go of it this year.

Good luck at regionals, we'll see ya there!

Tobin made a thread the other day about a guy flipping over a catcher that I saw 3 years ago on youtube... Whats the difference?

The one Tobin posted was on ESPN last week. I hardly doubt ESPN would be 3 years behind!

To Blessed and JDB...

I hope our boys would aspire to become leaders like McCoy. We all know each other's kids and know they have the ability. God only knows the stuff they go through on a daily basis, and they don't act like they should at times, but I think deep down, the desire is there to be leaders of men, already being used right now. Your young men are class acts, and I pray that mine is looked at like that, even though he's had a rough go of it this year.

Good luck at regionals, we'll see ya there!

Good luck to ya'll also, I enjoy watching your son run. I like his fire, and he is a good young man also. Like I have told my young'en many times, always keep your eyes open, you never know where your friends are going to come from.

See you Monday or Friday night if the rain holds off.

Tobin doesnt like it or think anything is funny unless he post it. You know that blessed..... Thanks for sharing

Not true. Must give credit to got the info. Smoaky rules. Why woud you say that about REID? Do you even know him? I bet not.....

WHOever your are, he does not hide.................... LIKE YOU.................... :thumbsup:

thanks for the info blessed! it makes thoughs speeches "old dad" is giving day in and day out about giving it to God, no matter what it is, a little easier for my son to understand. my son and i seem to have this convo daily. it most certainly brought a tear to my eye!

hope to see you guys soon, but if not, i will see you in the 3rd round!

thanks for the info blessed! it makes thoughs speeches "old dad" is giving day in and day out about giving it to God, no matter what it is, a little easier for my son to understand. my son and i seem to have this convo daily. it most certainly brought a tear to my eye!

hope to see you guys soon, but if not, i will see you in the 3rd round!

Come on Ty, Remember that old Cart and Horse!!

Folks the only reason I posted it about being on The Old Coach web site, was that it sounded like the e-mail was sent to the person who made the poston Smoaky. That is the only reason. Maybe it was. :wacko: Then I am wacko for my remarks.

IT is a great about what Colt has said and done. I am a Colt fan. Always have been.

Thanks, The Sauce for your support. :notworthy:

No harm underarmor8 at all. :D