If you could have one rematch for your schools team...

Mavgrad98

And to answer the question:

1. 2004 Longview vs Lufkin - Ivory fumbles 4 times and Freeman throws a pick as we lose

2. 2009 Longview vs Lake Travis - I don't think it was coaching, it was mistakes that killed us. Our QB trying to do to much and fumbling like three times (once that led directly to points for them, and once that kept us from scoring a TD), blowing a coverage on the second play of the game, not being able to pick up a yard on 4th and 1, and others...

3. 1975 Longview vs Odessa Permian - Getting the short end of a few calls, we still had a 9-3 lead in the 4th quarter despite a 62-yard field goal (funny enough, they decided to fake a 50 or so yard field goal on their next drive and got their pass batted down). However, we let them drive and score for the 10-9 win.

4. 2009 Longview vs Sulphur Springs - Oh, wait. We won 45-0.

I think it was a combination. I still can't believe King pulled them off the field with that much time left on the clock. I cannot understand why McCray was only playing the first down of each possession. I cannot understand why he was not rotating AJ and McGee at the QB position.

The QB was doing too much but, as far as I could tell King called every play. The Lobo offensive line was not big enough for AJ to be doing so much.

They went into the finals for a second straight year without a passing game. I cannot believe Carey Fortson was allowed to limp around and be ineffective when they had the option to use Petey or AJ as receivers.

Handing over possession after the punt was just inexcusable. I don't know where their heads were.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LV is kind of like Stoney Point not much of a passing game, when that happens Lake Travis blitzs on every play from every where. The QB a lot of time does not pick it up and when he does it is to late this happen in both championship games and then he is on the run where he has picked up some good yds when he did break free.

There was the kickoff where everyone just look at the ball before LT picked it up this is I think the 1st thing you learn on the kick off team but we had a all state kicker who can place the ball anywhere on the field all by design. I had a play 30 plus yrs ago where this happen at the 2 yard line where the 2 players from Spring just keep looking at it until I ran all the way down there and pick it up and went in to the endzone BUT at the time you can not advance it so I lost my moment and the paper gave credit to some one else .

The pass for LV near the at the end of the game for a TD was very close, I mean I thought he was laying out of bounds when he caught it and it was a great pass for LV. But there where two blown coverages the last one was when LV jumped off sides and Brewer threw to a wide open W/O which would have been another TD with about a min left if the pass didn't lead the receiver out of bounds if he stay in it would have been an easy TD...just good coaching and the wide outs and Brewer are all ways on the same page they just know what to do. I think the D-line did a vg job for LV making Brewer work for the yards.

LV is kind of like Stoney Point not much of a passing game, when that happens Lake Travis blitzs on every play from every where. The QB a lot of time does not pick it up and when he does it is to late this happen in both championship games and then he is on the run where he has picked up some good yds when he did break free.

There was the kickoff where everyone just look at the ball before LT picked it up this is I think the 1st thing you learn on the kick off team but we had a all state kicker who can place the ball anywhere on the field all by design. I had a play 30 plus yrs ago where this happen at the 2 yard line where the 2 players from Spring just keep looking at it until I ran all the way down there and pick it up and went in to the endzone BUT at the time you can not advance it so I lost my moment and the paper gave credit to some one else .

The pass for LV near the at the end of the game for a TD was very close, I mean I thought he was laying out of bounds when he caught it and it was a great pass for LV. But there where two blown coverages the last one was when LV jumped off sides and Brewer threw to a wide open W/O which would have been another TD with about a min left if the pass didn't lead the receiver out of bounds if he stay in it would have been an easy TD...just good coaching and the wide outs and Brewer are all ways on the same page they just know what to do. I think the D-line did a vg job for LV making Brewer work for the yards.

Yeah, AJ rushed for over a hundred yards, but also got sacked a few times.

And yeah, I totally forgot about nobody fielding the kickoff... Yet another mistake to chalk up the loss to.

I think it was a combination. I still can't believe King pulled them off the field with that much time left on the clock. I cannot understand why McCray was only playing the first down of each possession. I cannot understand why he was not rotating AJ and McGee at the QB position.

That was my biggest thing I think.

McGee had been used so well the previous couple of weeks. I just don't get why we didn't use him and the passing game more.

But so it is with Longview every time in a big game...mistakes AND coaching come to the front. And we end up getting to second guess for the rest of our lives. :icon_neutral:

That was my biggest thing I think.

McGee had been used so well the previous couple of weeks. I just don't get why we didn't use him and the passing game more.

But so it is with Longview every time in a big game...mistakes AND coaching come to the front. And we end up getting to second guess for the rest of our lives. :icon_neutral:

Ah, come on.... Not in EVERY big game. We had plenty of big games last year that we didn't make mistakes in, and coaching did a good job. Well, we didn't make enough mistakes to cost us the game, that is.

2003 Atlanta was better than us

2007 LH was better than us

2008 Carthage was a little better than us

2005 and 2006 were the ones in my opinion we gave away. Especially the Canton game. I really thought that was 2 titles we could have had. LE won it and Canton lost the very next week to eventual champ Tatum. We all know the happiest team in the state to not play us was Tatum!!!

That year we were loaded to the max, we had 8 players on that team that signed with DI programs. I was hoping ya'll woulda got through Canton.....which we dismantled a week after ya'lls shootout. We had Cashas Pollard at QB(signed NW Louisiana), Lennon Creer at RB(signed with Tennessee), Daylon McCoy at RB/LB(signed with ULL), Denarius Moore at WR/DB(signed with Tennessee), Chance Blackmon at WR/DB(signed with Colorado), Bryce Beall at RB/LB(signed with Houston), Isaiah Thompson at OL/DL (signed with Houston), Clarence Leatch at DE(signed with TCU), Carson Blackmon at WR/DB(signed with Houston), and several more standouts. Most of the time I'm a realist and know its bad news when we go up against Gilmer. That year wasn't one of those years.

That year we were loaded to the max, we had 8 players on that team that signed with DI programs. I was hoping ya'll woulda got through Canton.....which we dismantled a week after ya'lls shootout. We had Cashas Pollard at QB(signed NW Louisiana), Lennon Creer at RB(signed with Tennessee), Daylon McCoy at RB/LB(signed with ULL), Denarius Moore at WR/DB(signed with Tennessee), Chance Blackmon at WR/DB(signed with Colorado), Bryce Beall at RB/LB(signed with Houston), Isaiah Thompson at OL/DL (signed with Houston), Clarence Leatch at DE(signed with TCU), Carson Blackmon at WR/DB(signed with Houston), and several more standouts. Most of the time I'm a realist and know its bad news when we go up against Gilmer. That year wasn't one of those years.

That Tatum team was loaded with talent. My buddies think Im full of it when we watch college football and I am constantly picking out players that I played against that are from Tatum.

That Tatum team was loaded with talent. My buddies think Im full of it when we watch college football and I am constantly picking out players that I played against that are from Tatum.

Yeah.....that was the most stacked team thats ever been through Tatum in my eyes. I wouldn't have wanted to play against them.

Cuero-Gilmer ... For those of us who witnessed this game know that both of these teams played their hearts out . Even if the outcome were to be the same I wouldnt care ..... this was a game for the ages :notworthy:

Cuero- A.Wylie 2004 Championship 17-14 A Wylie ...this is one that we let get away .

Cuero - Hutto semifinals 05 21-23 = Bring in a new set of ref's and lets do this again

Yeah.....that was the most stacked team thats ever been through Tatum in my eyes. I wouldn't have wanted to play against them.

Haha it wasn't fun being a 5'8 150 pound center against that defense. However, it is nice to say that I played against so many kids that are playing division 1 football.

My top 10 Lobo games since I've been around...

1) 2004 vs Lufkin - 5 fumbles put us away in a game Longview should've been up 28-0 in the first quarter.

2) 2005 vs South Garland - Doesn't even need to be discussed.

3) 2009 vs Lake Travis - Coaching, Turnovers. I've never been more upset about a loss than this one (mainly cause it was there for the taking).

4) 1997 vs Katy - 3 points....3...points.

5) 1996 vs Killeen Ellison - A 17-16 loss in the Quarterfinals.

6) 2002 vs Lufkin - A stagnant first half did us in. Simple as that. A 24-21 loss that saw Longview outscore Lufkin 21-10 in the second half. What a run that team went on.

7) 2006 vs Garland - Throw throw throw and it works works works. Get into their end for the final score...and we start running it. Ugh. 24-21 loss does it again. Our team (compared to 04-05-07-08-09) was so down that season...but all of Division II was down that season. Making it to the Final game would been there for the taking IMO had we gotten past Garland.

8) 1998 vs Marshall - A double overtime loss that completely changed the course of the season.

9) 2006 vs West Monroe - 19-15 loss. I still don't think West Monroe got into the endzone on their last touchdown.

10) 2007 vs Lufkin (1st game) - 16-13 loss. Pretty much the 2004 game all over again except Lp waited until the 4th quarter to score to win.

You left out maybe the 2nd worst loss in Lobo history...worst was Permian in 75.

1980...Longview at John Tyler...only one team makes the playoffs. Longview is leading 10-6 with just over 2 minutes to go. Lobos 1st and goal at the JT 7. They have been running blast and power for several plays and are about to score the clinching touchdown. Then comes my nominee for worst play call in Lobo history. Toss right to Gahlen Johnson. The corner crashes and hits Gahlen just as the pitch comes, ball is on the ground and JT recovers. Then throws an 88 yard bomb on the next play to Willie Walker, and JT wins the district championship and goes to the playoffs.

Hondo and Thumbsup will surely remember that game, and the play.

You left out maybe the 2nd worst loss in Lobo history...worst was Permian in 75.

1981...Longview at John Tyler...only one team makes the playoffs. Longview is leading 10-6 with just over 2 minutes to go. Lobos 1st and goal at the JT 7. They have been running blast and power for several plays and are about to score the clinching touchdown. Then comes my nominee for worst play call in Lobo history. Toss right to Gahlen Johnson. The corner crashes and hits Gahlen just as the pitch comes, ball is on the ground and JT recovers. Then throws an 88 yard bomb on the next play to Willie Walker, and JT wins the district championship and goes to the playoffs.

Hondo and Thumbsup will surely remember that game, and the play.

fify

I was there for that one too. If I am not mistaken, Doug Cox wa said to have written a note on the chalkboard after the game that said, Dear Lobos, you are the best team in the district, but you cannot go to the playoffs.

2003 Texas High vs North Crowley in the semis. Texas High lost QB hours before the game and freshman QB had to start without even a practice session.

Still lost by less than a TD and Crowley won state the next weekend. It would have been back-to-back State Titles for Texas High.

hurts me and we weren't even tigers yet.....