***Official World Cup Thread***

CrankThatCrabtree

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yanks beat the Socceroos of Australia today by a score of 3-1. It was a nice tune up for the England game because they play a similar style game (just not nearly as skilled on the ball). This game's final score probably should have been 6-3 because we missed a bunch of goal scoring opportunities and Australia did as well. If the US plays that shoddy on the defensive side of the ball against England then we have no chance. Donovan and Dempsey having more freedom in the midfield to be creative was a great tactical change however.

All the citizens of the Ivory Coast must be on pins and needles after my boy's broken arm injury, and after having surgery it's been announced he's not officially been ruled out of the WC and will try to play.

my boy Arjen Robben got too fancy late in a 6-1 win over Hungary and at least pulled his hamstring if not tore it.

Glad this didn't happen in New England at least I think it was some where in the New England States or closeby that had instuted a rule in scoccer that if you win by 5 or more you loose. On this news this morning.

Glad this didn't happen in New England at least I think it was some where in the New England States or closeby that had instuted a rule in scoccer that if you win by 5 or more you loose. On this news this morning.

What?

Here's my picks to move on out of bracket play.

I'll wait until the Octaves to predict more.

A

1 France

2 Mexico

B

1 Argentina

2 Nigeria

C

1 England

2 US

D

1 Germany

2 Australia

E

1 Denmark

2 Holland

F

1 Italy

2 Paraguay

G

1 Brasil

2 Portugal

H

1 Spain

2 Chile

A

1 France

2 South Africa (going with history on this one, hosts always advance)

B

1 Argentina

2 Nigeria

C

1 England

2 US

D

1 Germany

2 Serbia

E

1 Holland

2 Cameroon

F

1 Italy

2 Paraguay

G

1 Brazil

2 Portugal

H

1 Spain

2 Chile

A few differences from yours Futfan but nothing huge.

South Africa was terribly outplayed in the first half, but the score was miraculously still 0-0. Then in the 2nd half Tshabalala had what could be one of the goals of the tournament to go up 1-0. In the 79th minute Mexico equalized when SA's captain kept Rafa Marquez (and to other Mexican national players) onsides when the rest of the defense played an offsides trap. It was a shame to see South Africa to blow the lead with an easy goal. The game finished 1-1 which was a good result for Bufana Bufana but they blew a few opportunities in the second half, especially late to get the win.

After Day 1 Group A looks like this

Team.......W.....L.....Pt.....GF....GA....TobinFrost

Mexico......0.....0.....1.......1......1.......0

RSA..........0.....0.....1.......1......1.......0

France......0.....0......1......0......0.......0

Uruguay....0.....0.....1.......0......0.......0

Then in the 2nd half Tshabalala had what could be one of the goals of the tournament to go up 1-0.

After Day 1 Group A looks like this

A couple of thoughts.

US looked good against the favored England. I am NOT upset that Beckham isn't playing.

France and Argentina both looked off, not sure if it was their opponents playing up, or them playing down.

The First Tournament Goal was a ROCKET. I can't believe he got that much on it, and the placement was superb. They had a chance to put Mexico away, the 2 defenders let him slip behind, and he had room to slip it in the side, just hit the post.

Group B

Team..............W......L......D......PTS......GF......GA......TobinFrost

South Korea.....1......0......0........3.........2.........0.........2

Argentina.........1......0......0........3.........1.........0.........1

Nigeria.............0......1......0........0.........0.........1........-1

Greece.............0......1......0........0.........0.........2........-2

South Korea was very impressive against Greece, solid tactically and very fast. I originally though Nigeria would be the second team that would go through along with Argentina, but now I think South Korea gets that second spot and I think South Korea will beat Nigeria.

Group C

Team..............W......L......D......PTS......GF......GA......TobinFrost

Slovenia...........1......0......0........3.........1.........0.........1

England............0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

USMNT.............0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

Algeria.............0......1......0........0.........0.........1........-1

Group C is the group of lucky goals, a lucky goal got the USA a draw against England although I think our play deserved that result, and a lucky goal got Slovenia a win over Algeria, (I'm not so sure they deserved it though). USMNT plays Slovenia next and if we can win we'll be in great shape in the group. I could see a scenario that we could still advance if we draw next game but we'd need England to beat Slovenia.

Fact is that the US are the 2nd best team in the group and if we don't advance it would be a huge disappointment.

Nice article on Jose Torres in Saturday's DMN.

USA looks a little unorganized and shaky at times with the back four and that might prove costly down the road.

GK Howard saved the USA team yesterday!

The next two teams might not take advantage of our back four but if we don't shape things up in the back we will be in trouble in the knock out round.

if the us doesnt get more comfortable on a soccer field they will lose one of the next two games and will not escape the group.

almost every trap bounced into the air wasting precious seconds that make teams like germany, brazil, and spain so good. Nothing looks smooth and theres not much rhythm. it just is very ugly soccer.

the defense really has to step it up. you learn early in soccer to "man up" and "stay goal-side" the us defenders to neither and if not for tim howard and just an unlucky day for uk, it would have been very ugly yesterday.

The US might be playing with more heart than any other team in the tournament, but if they do not add a collective touch and style, they will become but yet another disappointment for us soccer