***Official World Cup Thread***

CrankThatCrabtree

Group D

Team..............W......L......D......PTS......GF......GA......TobinFrost

Germany.........1......0......0........3.........4.........0.........4

Ghana.............1......0......0........3.........1.........0.........1

Serbia.............0......1......0........0.........0.........1.........-1

Australia..........0......1......0........0.........0.........4........-4

Also Dr. Pepper, I disagree with your assessment of America, I thought our backline was great, our inability to hold the ball just puts them under immense pressure. We should gamble and play Torres or Feilhaber instead of Clark if we want to go further than the round of 16. If you watched the beautiful performances of Slovenia and Algeria today then I don't know how you could feel that we would lose to one of those teams. I think at worst we get 4 points and at best 6 out of the last 2 games.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will have will need to beat Solvenia to advance. We should be favored.

Spoke to a friend of mine that coaches in the Unibond Premier League in England and once played in the Premier League (the big league). He felt the 1-1 was a good result for the game played. He felt the US squad outplayed England. 12 years ago he was laughing at USA soccer. He was obviously sick on the goal England gave up.

A very good result by the Yanks but I don't believe we outplayed the The Three Lions at all. When your GK is the "Man of the Match" then most of the time you haven't outplayed the other squad.

We need to get Landon involved in the attack more. It would be nice to see what Edson Buddle can do up top for 90 minutes. If Bradley is high on this Findley kid (speed to burn) then bring him into the match later when the defense is tired.

Group E

Holland............1......0......0........3.........2.........0.........2

Japan..............1......0......0........3.........1.........0.........1

Cameroon.......0......1......0........0.........0.........1.........-1

Denmark.........0......1......0........0.........0.........2........-2

Who are your biggest surprises and/or disappointments so far?

Some of the bigger names have struggled, but it's not all a cake walk. Some teams have come up with bigger performances than expected.

I was surprised Germany won by so many, and Nigeria's keeper really kept the game VERY close.

France, Italy, and England (and now Portugal tied with Drogba out) are leading in the category of "should be doing better".

I was most surprised by how negative Portugal was, I thought that they would have a little creativity about them, but I guess when you know that if you lose you are done in the group you have to play it incredibly conservative.

I knew England and France were a little overrated and Italy lost to Mexico in warm up games. Germany is better than I thought they would be but Australia is one of the bottom 5 teams in the world cup. The Netherlands looked pretty good in their win, not great but good. If they quit playing Sneijder and Van der Vaart at the same time and put Elia in the game they will fare much better. They miss the pace that Arjen Robben brings and Elia can be a nice fill in for it.

Group F

Italy................0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

Paraguay........0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

Slovakia..........0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

New Zealand...0......0......1........1.........1.........1.........0

Deadlocked as it gets but Italy and Paraguay are the 2 best teams IMO, I'd give Slovakia a chance but you can't tie New Zealand who I truly think is the worst team that qualified for the world cup

Group G

Brazil..............1......0......0........3.........2.........1.........1

Ivory Coast.....0......0......1........1.........0.........0.........0

Portugal..........0......0......1........1.........0.........0.........0

North Korea.....0......1......0........0.........1.........2........-1

Group G

Brazil..............1......0......0........3.........2.........1.........1

Ivory Coast.....0......0......1........1.........0.........0.........0

Portugal..........0......0......1........1.........0.........0.........0

North Korea.....0......1......0........0.........1.........2........-1

The score fore PRK/Brasil had me wondering, until I watched the recorded game, and saw the "late in the match" goal. It was probably more of a mental letdown by Brazil late on, which they will probably learn not to commit again.

Portugal still did not look as good as I expected, with Drogba out, the rest of Ivory Coast held well.

Chile is looking good, although only one goal so far. The seem to have good technical spped and first touches, just not finishing.

I have noticed a lot of the matches in the first round of group play had my 1 and 2 picks playing, and the 3 and 4 matched up. Makes it interesting. really critical for that number 3 not to tie, and the # 2 needs 2 wins if they draw.

Group H

Team..............W......L......D......PTS......GF.......GA......TobinFrost

Switzerland......1......0......0........3..........1.........0........1

Chile................0......0......1........1..........1.........0........1

Spain...............0......0......1........1..........0.........1.......-1

Honduras.........0......1......0........0..........0.........1.......-1

Spain losing to Switzerland was a huge upset, I'd say even bigger than the US game against them last season. They are very susceptible to strong teams who play solid defensive tactics and they just couldn't put the ball in the net today.

Uruguay looked really good against South Africa today, With a good defense and Diego Forlan and Suarez they won't be a team you want to see.

....Uruguay looked really good against South Africa today, With a good defense and Diego Forlan and Suarez they won't be a team you want to see.

Okay. Here's why I will never be a "true" soccer fan.

A player from Uraguay fakes being tripped by the South African goalie. Never touched him. Goalie went for the ball, Uraguayan takes a dive and pretends to be hurt and the South African goalie gets a red card. The player from Uraguay should have been suspended and fined, not rewarded with a free kick. He LIED (by his actions) in order to get the goalie ejected and was happy about it. His fans cheered and loved him for it. He didn't deserve a free kick, he deserved to get freely kicked by the entire South African team. I actually was going to try to start watching some of the soocer and try to get into it this year. Never again. That scenario right there is why world cup soocer is bogus. I'm done.

I wish refs would give more cards for flopping and that would take care of some of the acting.

What makes it a "fairy game"?

What about basketball when you can take 4 steps without being called for traveling or if you are the star you get more calls your way. It amazes me how in bball you hardly see any guys foul out and if you are the star for sure you wont foul out. How many times do you see bball guys fake charges and all their fans get excited.....all the time. what about Shaq just backing up with that big butt of his and hardly ever getting called for a foul.....guy can't shoot a jumper, skyhook or anything else but run you over and he will be in the HOF.

Each sport has things that bother you but they are all athletes playing the game they love with passion

I wish refs would give more cards for flopping and that would take care of some of the acting.

What makes it a "fairy game"?

What about basketball when you can take 4 steps without being called for traveling or if you are the star you get more calls your way. It amazes me how in bball you hardly see any guys foul out and if you are the star for sure you wont foul out. How many times do you see bball guys fake charges and all their fans get excited.....all the time. what about Shaq just backing up with that big butt of his and hardly ever getting called for a foul.....guy can't shoot a jumper, skyhook or anything else but run you over and he will be in the HOF.

Each sport has things that bother you but they are all athletes playing the game they love with passion

I agree with you 100% on everything you just posted. Basketball's just like soccer, with fewer dramatic acting scenes.

Group A

Team.......W.....L.....D......Pt.....GF....GA....TobinFrost

Uruguay....1.....0......1.......4......3.......0.......3

Mexico......1.....0......1.......4......3.......1.......2

France......0.....0......1.......1......0.......2......-2

RSA..........0.....0......1.......1......1.......4......-3

Group B

Argentina.........2......0......0........6.........5.........1.........4

South Korea.....1......1......0........3.........3.........4........-1

Greece.............1......1......0........3.........2.........3........-1

Nigeria.............0......2......0........0.........1.........3........-2

Jose Torres is playing like #### outside of his free kick that nearly was a goal, he's from Longview and I root for him but he needs to be taken out. I don't see Slovenia giving us one goal much less two, this world cup looks over for the U.S. which is really a shame. Hopefully we can pull a comeback and get a draw out of this match. 2-0 Slovenia at halftime.

Us always got to make it interesting got to get behind early. But this had to be one of the worst games for the ref. The yellow card on usa striker leaving him out of next game when he cleary hit it with his face. The red card he should pulled out when the guy slid into altidore when he had the chance. The guy was just trying to stop the goal. Then what was the call on the goal that was waved off. All I saw was USA people getting held. Oh well after the start we had I'm happy with a draw. England needs to beat solviena and USA needs to crush algeria

1) Our backline lacks so much skill that midfielders have to run back to get the ball or we have to kick it way forward.

2) There were some terrible calls in the 2nd half that cost us the W, we now have to depend on scenarios, however winning against Algeria will probably be good enough to advance.

3) Dempsey was non-existant this game, he's non-existant most games until he scores though. Tough to take him out because he is a real threat to score but he disappears for long periods of time during the game.

Also Dr. Pepper, I disagree with your assessment of America, I thought our backline was great, our inability to hold the ball just puts them under immense pressure.

1) Our backline lacks so much skill that midfielders have to run back to get the ball or we have to kick it way forward.

Make up your mind lol!

Back line was anything but great once again, only this time Howard was not able to make the big saves to keep the attention off of them. The first goal their player had far to much time to just sit back and set up, you can even see US players walking during this process. On the second goal that was just ugly.

The defense has got to step up and give the offense a chance.