Your 6 votes - updated

parentofredheads

Up in New York, Hispanics were allowed to vote 6 times, because... they weren't representative on the city council; although, the town is 50 percent Hispanic.

So to even things up a bit, Hispanics were allowed to vote 6 times each, as ruled upon by a Judge... Somebody really should figure out, gee whiz, maybe it's because they're not voting.

Anyway... an update http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0061803766.html

Now, would someone please explain this little bit for me:

"The system, which has been used in Alabama, Illinois, South Dakota and Texas, allows a political minority to gain representation if it organizes behind specific candidates. Judge Robinson went for it, and cumulative voting was used for the first time in a New York municipality."

Apparently, cumulative voting is used in numerous school board elections in Texas. Proponents say that it eliminates the need to draw up districts and prevents gerrymandering. Opponents say that allows the deck to be stacked for one or two specific candidates.

If all voters are given the same six votes, I really don't see the problem. I didn't see in the article an indication that only hispanic voters got multiple votes.

Apparently, cumulative voting is used in numerous school board elections in Texas. Proponents say that it eliminates the need to draw up districts and prevents gerrymandering. Opponents say that allows the deck to be stacked for one or two specific candidates.

If all voters are given the same six votes, I really don't see the problem. I didn't see in the article an indication that only hispanic voters got multiple votes.

Yep, only Hispanic