Lee Berry to Marshall

Really...Hammock...DC?!?!?! I could be wrong, but Ive never known him to have anything to do with the football program at all. I wonder what his football background looks like. Its pretty much understood that Harris is still the man running the defense, but still. Doesnt DC come with more money than an assistant job? My point there is that there were probably a few interested assistants that have been with the defense a couple years that would be worthy of stepping up and holding the position while Harris makes the calls. Just seems a little odd to me, but I hope it all works out.

Hammack has always coached football, he has worked his way up the ranks, from JH, to freshman, and it seems he has held a Varsity Assitant job for a few years. I would think you Marshall guys would have realized that. Nonetheless, If Coach Harris has promoted him, I am sure he was deserving! It is also good to see Thed reward Todd's loyalty to the Mav program, he is has been there a while.

This looks like two great moves for the Mavs!

Good Luck to Todd and Lee both.

I think I've seen him on the sideline coaching the freshmen the past few years, and see him walking to the press box with other coaches on varsity game night. Either way it goes, the defense will be run by Harris, but they really need someone to inspire them on the sidelines during the game while Harris is trying to figure out this thing called Head Coach. I do admit he has gotten better over the years. Needs to work on that time management thing a little more though. I miss seeing Harris fire up the defense while they were waiting to go back out.

Are you people totally ignorant or do you just seriously not pay attention to the mavs? Hammack has coached at Marshall for over 10 years. He Is responsible for calling the blitzes for them. He plays a Major role in scheming every week. You people need to get a life and ake up. And your right mav grad you didn't ask me and you should have. Hammack is at every practice and every single game. He signals in the plays if you would just open your eyes and stop looking for hints to complain about. Get a life.

I think I've seen him on the sideline coaching the freshmen the past few years, and see him walking to the press box with other coaches on varsity game night. Either way it goes, the defense will be run by Harris, but they really need someone to inspire them on the sidelines during the game while Harris is trying to figure out this thing called Head Coach. I do admit he has gotten better over the years. Needs to work on that time management thing a little more though. I miss seeing Harris fire up the defense while they were waiting to go back out.

He doesn't coach freshman he is the varsity linebackers coach. He is on the field during the games. Do y'all even go to the games?

Sorry that my eyes are on the field most of the game and not playing spot the assistant coach. I am glad that you informed us of his coaching duties and abilities though. Nice to know he is the man for the job.

Dang Rufus you sure know alot about him. What color gatorade does he like?? Does he use the tall urinal or the short one?

Charmin extra soft or just regular? :smirk:

But on a serious note congratulations to coach Hammock, good coach and a even better person.

I knew coach berry when he was at waskom. Great guy and very well deserved! He will do great things for Marshall baseball.

Thats good to hear. I know we have some real talented baseball players in Marshall, we just need the missing piece. Hopefully that missing piece has been Berry. Good luck to Berry and GO MAVS!!!

Dang Rufus you sure know alot about him. What color gatorade does he like?? Does he use the tall urinal or the short one?

Yeah i Do know a lot about him because he is a friend iof mine. I also pay attention at games. As mch as Yall look for things to gripe about you would think you would notice all the times hammacks been ion the field signaling plays in. Your insulting the man being a Marshall fan and not noticing things like at. Those guys work 12 or 13 hours a day during football season and to have bunch of idiots talk trash bout them on smoaky is kinda irritating. Get a job or a life so you can keep your mind distracted.

When a person choses to go into coaching...... they get the grit with the glory.

I said it at least a dozen times last season......I'm sure I'll say it again.

When trophies are won and titles are awarded......they get all the Glory in the world. It's well earned. I've had friends that have coached and it's LONG hours, most of it not compensated.

I'm the first to send out congrats to coaches when they put together strong game plans and make wise decisions in games.....win or lose. You can't win them all.

But coaches are human. They are fallible. They make mistakes. Sometimes the mistakes are honest ones. Things backfire sometimes. Especially with teenagers involved.

BUT....somtimes the mistakes can be bonehead decisions that go against every convention of thought. Things that dont make sense, dont add up, and just dont benefit anyone...... and those are the ones I think coaches can open themselves up for questions and criticism.

Doesn't make people bad fans. If we didn't care if we won or lost....that's a bad fan.

Asking why this or that...may or may not have affected the outcome of a game is FAIR.

Comes with the territory.

If I make a mistake at work......I'm evaulated by a board. And amongst my peers. And I have to answer as to why I made this mistake. Doesn't matter if it was an honest mistake, an oversight, a deliberate choice...... either way. I must answer WHY.

I think a lot of people get something like that at work. Peer review/annual evaluation....etc etc.

So why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he ran a draw play on the final play of a game from the 30 yardline?

Why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he didn't call time out before halftime with all TO's remaining and the team being in scoring postion instead of running the clock out

Why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he went for 2 instead of kicking the PAT in a sudden death playoff game??

Why woud it be wrong to ask a coach why he didn't cover any of the deep men on a hail mary with no time on the clock...giving up an uncontested TD???

I've seen all of these happen in real games from all sorts of teams. 2 of those cost teams state titles/title games.

Does asking questions and criticising bad choices made by a coach make bad fans??? really? woudl it be better if we blindly held hands and sang cum by ya my lord instead of caring what's going on???

Didn't we see Longview make it to a title game last year (again) and still see people question some of the coaching decisions in the game. I wondered about several. I dont know that they cost them the game.....but they surely didn't help.

Why did those Lobo fans gripe? Because they cared. Because they wanted to win.

Sorry......but asking questions and criticising bonehead choices is fair game IMHO. If thet gets labled as griping, then so be it.

But I'd rather hear people griping about not winning or not making sound choices than a fanbase that always talks about "maybe next year"

and that's true of any school in any sport.

When a person choses to go into coaching...... they get the grit with the glory.

I said it at least a dozen times last season......I'm sure I'll say it again.

When trophies are won and titles are awarded......they get all the Glory in the world. It's well earned. I've had friends that have coached and it's LONG hours, most of it not compensated.

I'm the first to send out congrats to coaches when they put together strong game plans and make wise decisions in games.....win or lose. You can't win them all.

But coaches are human. They are fallible. They make mistakes. Sometimes the mistakes are honest ones. Things backfire sometimes. Especially with teenagers involved.

BUT....somtimes the mistakes can be bonehead decisions that go against every convention of thought. Things that dont make sense, dont add up, and just dont benefit anyone...... and those are the ones I think coaches can open themselves up for questions and criticism.

Doesn't make people bad fans. If we didn't care if we won or lost....that's a bad fan.

Asking why this or that...may or may not have affected the outcome of a game is FAIR.

Comes with the territory.

If I make a mistake at work......I'm evaulated by a board. And amongst my peers. And I have to answer as to why I made this mistake. Doesn't matter if it was an honest mistake, an oversight, a deliberate choice...... either way. I must answer WHY.

I think a lot of people get something like that at work. Peer review/annual evaluation....etc etc.

So why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he ran a draw play on the final play of a game from the 30 yardline?

Why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he didn't call time out before halftime with all TO's remaining and the team being in scoring postion instead of running the clock out

Why would it be wrong to ask a coach why he went for 2 instead of kicking the PAT in a sudden death playoff game??

Why woud it be wrong to ask a coach why he didn't cover any of the deep men on a hail mary with no time on the clock...giving up an uncontested TD???

I've seen all of these happen in real games from all sorts of teams. 2 of those cost teams state titles/title games.

Does asking questions and criticising bad choices made by a coach make bad fans??? really? woudl it be better if we blindly held hands and sang cum by ya my lord instead of caring what's going on???

Didn't we see Longview make it to a title game last year (again) and still see people question some of the coaching decisions in the game. I wondered about several. I dont know that they cost them the game.....but they surely didn't help.

Why did those Lobo fans gripe? Because they cared. Because they wanted to win.

Sorry......but asking questions and criticising bonehead choices is fair game IMHO. If thet gets labled as griping, then so be it.

But I'd rather hear people griping about not winning or not making sound choices than a fanbase that always talks about "maybe next year"

and that's true of any school in any sport.

I agree with everything you said champ. However some of these Marshall fans don't have a rational thought either. They have no idea what it takes to be a high school football coach especially at Marshall. They have no idea what goes on behind the doors at 2 in the morning of a game night, or getting back up on sat and being here from 8 till 5 them going back on Sundays. That is one of the hardest working group of coaches around, and to insult a man who has been there for over 10 years and worked his way up in the program is what I am talking about. Sadly fans represent the program just as much as he coaches do and kids. There needs to be a line where if you are unsure about something you keep your mouth shut and don't spout off false information. Questioning a coaches decision is fine because those coaches no better than to listen to the peopled on SDC. Also if somebodys going to call me out on his little message thinking with yet another ignorant thought that ii know everything I am going to say something back because I don't claim to know everything I only speak on things I'm 100% sure of.

This thread is going to get hijacked by the who can judge/evaluate a coach theme.

Let't just leave it at this.

Marshall has done a good thing here. Whether the good fans of Marshall know it or not. Todd Hammack is an outstanding coach and he evidently was promoted by Thed Harris, who was a heck of a defensive coach himself, so he must know something from the inside that some, evidently, don't know.

Lee Berry is a great Hire for ANY baseball program in East Texas, so Marshall is very lucky to have him.

I agree/disagree with some of what Mavchamp said, but I think we should go back to the orginal topic of the post! IMO

Good Luck to Marshall, I think you have some outstanding coaches!

This thread is going to get hijacked by the who can judge/evaluate a coach theme.

Good Luck to Marshall, I think you have some outstanding coaches!

I agree 100%.

And I dont want to hijack the thread.

But I was accused of griping last season because I questioned some decisions that almost cost us BIG. Mostly the second half of the Texas High game comes to mind.

I questioned. And got crucified for it. Along with others.

Even some Texarkana fans stated they thought we squatted on some decisions.

We won. That was the bottom line.

But we were.....what? three yards shy from losing a game that never should have been in question.

And I wouldn't belittle all the hard work either. I know it's long and hard. But I'm willing to bet the staff at PT works just as long and hard as the staff and Marshall.....or Longview does. I could be wrong.....but I doubt it. I dont think the staffs and kids at losing programs work less than the ones at winning schools (in most cases). I could be wrong.

But questioning is good IMHO.

NOT VICIOUS attacks. That serves no purpose for anyone.

Just questions.

I personally think the Mav Baseball team will flourish under the new coach.

And YES.....I've seen Hammack at games for years. Thursday and Friday nights in fact. Sounds like he's more than deserving.