Daingerfield Linebackers

KingKong2

What about Whitmore in the 80's. Are do you youngters even now about him?????

David didn't play a whole lot of linebacker in high school. He was our Fullback.

Carlton Walker sticks out in my mind from the 84 team.

David didn't play a whole lot of linebacker in high school. He was our Fullback.

Carlton Walker sticks out in my mind from the 84 team.

Ladd Freeman played inside linebacker on a pretty good defensive team. ;)

Jimmy Chism was a teammate of mine and a heck of a linebacker in his own right.

Ladd Freeman played inside linebacker on a pretty good defensive team. ;)

Jimmy Chism was a teammate of mine and a heck of a linebacker in his own right.

Ladd was definitely a super linebacker!!!! He and Vic Edmund were the heart and soul of that D in my opinion.

• Like 1

Ladd was definitely a super linebacker!!!! He and Vic Edmund were the heart and soul of that D in my opinion.

I always thought of Ladd as a really good high school linebacker that played in a great scheme. But then again, the same thing can be said for about 10 others on that defense. Not sure how King and Edmond match up. King might of had more raw talent but Edmond is a more complete package.

• Like 1

Best Dfield LBer I played against was the Thompson guy, Jim Bob or Billy Bob.. Cant remember his first name.. But he could play back in the day(my day)..

Best Dfield LBer Ive ever seen... Hands down Edmond.

Best Dfield LBer I played against was the Thompson guy, Jim Bob or Billy Bob.. Cant remember his first name.. But he could play back in the day(my day)..

Best Dfield LBer Ive ever seen... Hands down Edmond.

Joe Bob Thompson played for the Rice Owls. He was a heck of a player for the Tigers.

• Like 2

When I was a kid back in the late 60's early 70's there was a linebacker that was awesome. I remember being in a playoff game or game to win district and we needed this linebacker to play and he was hurt and he came out on crutches and played as much of the game as he could on one leg in the middle. Does anyone remember this or did I dream it?

He was in the pros. And I think he has more super bowl rings than one hand can wear.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Whitmore has one Super Bowl ring from when he was a New York Giant.

He played on some really good San Francisco teams in the early 90's, but I believe some team from Texas was racking up Super Bowl wins around that time period. In fact, another Daingerfield Tiger, Thomas Everett, picked up two rings while a member of the Cowboys.

sb-dal27.jpgsb_dal28.jpg

1116_large.jpg

If he was in the pros in the 80's, it was the very late 80's. He didn't graduate high school until 1985 or after.

David Whitmore owns 1 superbowl ring...he won it as a rookie with the New York Giants in 1991 in Super Bowl XXV, following the 1990 season.

He played for 4 teams in the NFL.... 1990 - the New York Giants, 1991-1992- San Francisco 49ers (involved in the trade for Joe Montana following 92 season), 1993-1994 - Kansas City Chiefs, and 1995 - Philadelphia Eagles.

David graduated from Daingerfield in 1985 was on team in 83 and 84, played fullback mostly. Went to SFA where they converted him to safety. Played safety in NFL.

you are corect I did not see King, I was fighting for our country during his High School career. But if you look at the recruit ranking alone Edmond is concidered one the best in the country. I also have seen Steve play and thought he is one the best HS LB's I have seen in years 1A-5A. and further more none this really matters anyway. Give Edmond credit without trying to compare or put down. Remember Edmond isn't out of school yet. That says a lot!

OMG, really?!?!?!?

The entire thread is about comparing D'field LB'ers, past and present..................

My 2 cents:

Edmonds is an exceptional athlete and a great HS LB'er. BUT, he plays in a stunt only, 3-3-5 scheme that assigns gaps. King (as well as hundreds of other outstanding D'Field LB'ers) played for years in an old school 50 defense where they read and reacted. Two different styles, but my nod goes to the past. Also, King was a mean ace SOB on the field. I don't see that bloodlust type of play from Edmonds. BUT, Edmonds has a great chance at a fantastic career, and he is the only thing that can stop him. Very few ppl. will block him much this yr, I can promise you that.

My 2 cents:

Edmonds is an exceptional athlete and a great HS LB'er. BUT, he plays in a stunt only, 3-3-5 scheme that assigns gaps. King (as well as hundreds of other outstanding D'Field LB'ers) played for years in an old school 50 defense where they read and reacted. Two different styles, but my nod goes to the past. Also, King was a mean ace SOB on the field. I don't see that bloodlust type of play from Edmonds. BUT, Edmonds has a great chance at a fantastic career, and he is the only thing that can stop him. Very few ppl. will block him much this yr, I can promise you that.

You have a point about the 3-3-5 being a stunt defense. But, that doesn't stop Edmond from reacting and making plays. In fact, one of his strengths is his ability to read, react and make plays all over the field. Watch the highlight video and you will see lots of examples of this. Check out how quickly he reacts to the screen at the 2:48 mark of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa77bSqvflM

All that said, being compared to David King is not a bad thing. King was a bad man. For those who don't remember, here is a little information on King:

LB * 6-2 * 240 * 4.58 40 * Daingerfield, Texas HS - Earned all-state honors as a sophomore, but missed much of 1999 season due to injury... Had 165 tackles as sophomore, earning all-district honors... District and All-East Texas defensive MVP as senior, finishing with 114 tackles and five fumbles caused... Was freshman newcomer of year honoree... Lettered all four seasons in football... Also lettered twice in track... State finalist in track in 1998.

After knee surgery and rehab at the end of David's Jr. year, he went to a camp @ A&M and ran a 4.49 (electronic) time. He was weighing 225 at the time. After his Sr. year he ran a 4.58, however, he was actually weighing over 240 at the time. He was no doubt better vs the run (certainly Steve is good as well), however, I'd take Steve in pass coverage (better hands and instincts). David was the most physical high school linebacker that I've ever seen (strength, speed, size and aggressiveness). Grades and Other Problems are no doubt the only way he isn't in the NFL still. Steve, in my opinion, may turn out to be a better all-around defensive player before it's all said and done. I think he'll probably move to defensive end at the next level as well.

Anybody remember Lester Fleming? Pretty good linebacker in his day.

I think he is the linebacker that I remember coming out on crutches before the game and playing on a bad leg. If it is him he was awesome in his day in the middle.

• 11 years later...
On 6/23/2010 at 3:26 PM, KingKong2 said:

Daingerfield has been having a great linebacker core for a couple of years but do you think any of them is as good as David King

These boys Daingerfield has couldn’t sniff David Kings jock.  When David King played ,Gilmer was afraid of him.  Daingerfield ain’t got nobody Gilmer would be afraid of now.  Edmond was a close second behind King.

• Like 1