which defense is good at stopping the spread ?

nacdragon07

The only way to stop speed in space is speed.

A defensive line that dominates the offensive line lets the linebackers be more free, and if that happens, then less speed can win on defense.

Graham's defensive coordinator schemed really well against Carthage in the state final. Carthage won the game, but only scored 2 td's against a less speedy defense.

I'd run a 3-4 against the spread. However, one of two factors have to be in place:

1) A dominating Defensive Line. The spread is not about passing, it's about creating mismatches. Good spread teams will run all day if their are only 5 defenders in the box. If however, the D line is so dominating it can shut down the running game, then the spread becomes a 1 dimensional passing offense, and the D can drop enough people into coverage to slow it down.

2) Team Speed. The reason the spread doesn't work in the pros is simple: too much team speed on defense.

Now, let's take a for example. Gilmer has one of the best known spread offenses around. They lost in the state title game in 2007. Why? Liberty Hill had great team speed on defense, especially their linebackers. They also dominated the line of scrimmage and took away the running game. Gilmer also lost to Carthage in the Regional final in 2008. Why? Carthage had a dominating defensive line that controlled the line of scrimmage.

:nowhearthis: It ain't the X's and the O's

It's the Jimmy's and the Joe's!!!

Jimmy and Joe better be a heck of a defensive team if their coach lines them in up in a "Straight 60" with only one safety, like a lot of teams ran in the 1980's and 1990's(and some still do against certain offenses) if the offense is a decent spread team. A neighboring team tried it 2 years ago and it was NOT successful.

Yes, some coaches will say they are running only one safety against the spread, but they are tweaking/adjusting their defense to compensate.

A defensive line that dominates the offensive line lets the linebackers be more free, and if that happens, then less speed can win on defense.

Graham's defensive coordinator schemed really well against Carthage in the state final. Carthage won the game, but only scored 2 td's against a less speedy defense.

I was at that game and Carthage should easily scored 27 before half. Don't think it was the scheme. It was Carthage not converting in the red zone. But I've been told 3-3 stack is good along with ATHLETES. 2008 Carthage vs. Gilmer is a prime example.

I was at that game and Carthage should easily scored 27 before half. Don't think it was the scheme. It was Carthage not converting in the red zone. But I've been told 3-3 stack is good along with ATHLETES. 2008 Carthage vs. Gilmer is a prime example.

I was at the game also!!!!! I do think Graham's defensive coaches did a great job. And for the record, I don't know a single coach in Graham.

Marshall ran that defense for years and it helped them get to state in 04 and 05. However if you don't have just the right players to execute it, it's not worth running. Trick plays, misdirection, and counters were the downfall of it. Marshall has since switched up the defense to do different things, depending on who they are playing. Mostly 4-3 and 4-2-5.

Marshall ran that defense for years and it helped them get to state in 04 and 05. However if you don't have just the right players to execute it, it's not worth running. Trick plays, misdirection, and counters were the downfall of it. Marshall has since switched up the defense to do different things, depending on who they are playing. Mostly 4-3 and 4-2-5.

Very much agreed! After the 06 season, we didnt have the guys to run the 3-3-5 anymore and HAD to change. HP in 05, and Cypress Woods in 06, proved the 3-3-5 vulnerable to misdirection and counters. However, the 04 and 05 teams had the athletes to run it to near perfection, and it was a thrill to watch!

i just found out that nac will be running the 3-3-5 defense and im not to crazy about it. which defense is good at stopping the spread ??

You didn't say WHY you weren't crazy about it...

Daingerfield has won two titles in a row running it...

Of course, they may have won those running several other types of defense as well, I agree with bill, athletes make a huge amount of difference.

I must say the best defense against the spread is a 4 yards and a could of dust offense. They can't run and gun if they don't have the ball. But I would have to say that TCU's defense is designed to stop it all. Its not a 3-3-5, I think its called a 4-2-5 but I could be wrong. But in high school I think the 3-3-5 should work pretty well against the spread.

A 3-4 with a stud nose takle, linebacker, and safety you can play with anyone. But they have to be your best players.

If your blessed to have all state corners, you can get back in the 4-3 and blitz and stunt a little more, and play more man to man. There is so many variables to this post. There is no need being scared of the spread. It comes down to how many playmakers they have vs how many you have. If the spread doesnt have a good QB, then line up, and go after him, if he is a high % passer, you have to play back, or he will kill you. And, oh yea... he will take off with it just when you have everyone covered. It just comes down to players. Most HS coaches will get you stopped, if they have the better players, speed, size wise. But the 3-4 or the 3-3-5 is what most are running.

I must say the best defense against the spread is a 4 yards and a could of dust offense. They can't run and gun if they don't have the ball. But I would have to say that TCU's defense is designed to stop it all. Its not a 3-3-5, I think its called a 4-2-5 but I could be wrong. But in high school I think the 3-3-5 should work pretty well against the spread.

1. All defenses are inherently designed to stop it al, it's just that some have weaknesses that can be exploited more effectively by certain offenses. The old timers that ran the 50 Eagle will show you on a board how they can "stop" the spread, as well as the midline, the I, the Wing-T, etc. But getting the personnel to make it possible is the tricky part.

2. You are not wrong, they call it the 4-2-5, but that is just marketing propaganda. That defense is the split, with about 1,000 (obvious sarcasm, but they do have a ton of them) stunts and coverages, AND, they have the luxury of recruiting specific types of athletes to fill specific roles in their defense. They are basically playing with 4 strong safeties on the field all the time.

1. All defenses are inherently designed to stop it al, it's just that some have weaknesses that can be exploited more effectively by certain offenses. The old timers that ran the 50 Eagle will show you on a board how they can "stop" the spread, as well as the midline, the I, the Wing-T, etc. But getting the personnel to make it possible is the tricky part.

2. You are not wrong, they call it the 4-2-5, but that is just marketing propaganda. That defense is the split, with about 1,000 (obvious sarcasm, but they do have a ton of them) stunts and coverages, AND, they have the luxury of recruiting specific types of athletes to fill specific roles in their defense. They are basically playing with 4 strong safeties on the field all the time.

Correct. They have taken a play out of the old Miami recruiting page. They recruit Safetys to play linebackers, linebackers to play DT, and Speed to cover corners. In the end its just speed all over the place, and they can open up the playbook. Speed, speed,speed is where it is at.

^^^

The only thing I would add to that is you have to be EXTREMELY physical for them to even consider recruiting you to play defense for them now. Now, they can afford to be VERY picky when recruiting, so the two things they have told us they want are speed and mean. They are NOT concerned with size. They have had guys as smal as 5'6" play in the "secondary" for them. If you are fast and will drop the hammer, bring the wood, or whatever other description you want to give it, they will take a look...

Thats what we run in Cuero is the 4-2-5 aka. Split

you need to be athletic and versatile. My ideal personal would be 3 "true" lineman, 2 guys that could put a hand on the ground and come off the edge or play linebacker, and a good middle linebacker. Then give me a guy who has good ability in coverage and can play some at linebacker, along with some great speed in the secondary guys.

this would give you the flexibility to play the 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, or the 3-3-5 and be able to run a ton of stunts. The key to any defense is pressure because it disrupts the offense's rythym and timing, and all this flexiblity gives you the ability to create mismatches in your favor.