Most over hyped QB

The big problem I have with that is Doug Williams and Eli Manning both have Super Bowl wins and Super Bowl MVP honors, Tony Romo has neither. Are you saying that Tony is a way better quarterback and his lack of success is just a product of the players around him?

Yes I am saying Romo is a much better QB than either of those. And I was also pointing out that it is a team effort than gets through the season and wins the Super Bowl. It's not how many other "stars" are on the field. You can have good players and win a Super Bowl. You can also have great players and never win one.

The lack of success has been several issues for Dallas. We all know that would be beating a dead horse again. So I'll leave it alone.

BTW... Romo can say he played in a Pro Bowl his very first year starting. Neither Peyton or Eli can say that. Or Doug Williams.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am saying Romo is a much better QB than either of those. And I was also pointing out that it is a team effort than gets through the season and wins the Super Bowl. It's not how many other "stars" are on the field. You can have good players and win a Super Bowl. You can also have great players and never win one.

The lack of success has been several issues for Dallas. We all know that would be beating a dead horse again. So I'll leave it alone.

BTW... Romo can say he played in a Pro Bowl his very first year starting. Neither Peyton or Eli can say that. Or Doug Williams.

Doug Williams was playing in an NFC Championship game in his second season for a team that was 2-26 before he got there. They were 5-11 his rookie year. It took Tony Romo 6 years in the NFL before he got his first win in the playoffs.

We'll see what happens this year. I used to like Romo, he's proven me wrong time and time again. I think he will continue to disappoint Cowboys fans, as he has for the past 4 years.

I used to like Romo, he's proven me wrong time and time again. I think he will continue to disappoint Cowboys fans, as he has for the past 4 years.

This Cowboy fan here has not once felt that romo wass the reason Dallas did not make it further in the play offs. IMO the year he was hurt for 3 games showed his value when Dallas could not beat St Louis without him.

Doug Williams was playing in an NFC Championship game in his second season for a team that was 2-26 before he got there. They were 5-11 his rookie year. It took Tony Romo 6 years in the NFL before he got his first win in the playoffs.

We'll see what happens this year. I used to like Romo, he's proven me wrong time and time again. I think he will continue to disappoint Cowboys fans, as he has for the past 4 years.

The playoff loss against the Vikes was not solely Romo's fault and anyone that blames him alone must not have watched that game, it was a team loss from the coaching to the players.

If Romo continues to improve as much as he did last year he will be mentioned in the same breath as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as the best of the best active QBs. With the weapons Romo will have at his disposal I am really excited for this season to start.

One thing to remember when talking about over-hyped is that Romo was an undrafted free agent not a high draft pick.

Eli Manning is the most over-rated QB in my mind even with his Super Bowl MVP. He falls in the class with Trent Dilfer and the other QBs that rode a great defense to a super bowl win. If Eli last name wasn't Manning, he wouldn't be so over-hyped he would be looked at as an average QB. I totally disagreed with Eli being selected as the MVP of that Super Bowl, I thought there were several other players much more deserving.

Eli is a good QB and he deserves all the priase he gets becuase of all the hate he got before he won his super bowl. I mean they did beat undefeated patriots, right? And showed that he was clutch in that game.

When Tony gets to the age brees is in his carrer he will have more than one title. Look at carrer stats for the same number of years and you will understand. Do your homework Dave :thumbsup:

seriously?! Drew is 31 and Romo is 30....Please explain how Romo is going to have more than one title in a year....by the way - you may want to go do your own 'homework' related to the stats....suggesting that Brees is overhyped is off the charts ridiculous....

I think Brees has proven he is a top QB. His time with San Diego and now with New Orleans has confirmed to me he is first rate. Maybe it should be said that by the time Romo plays as many games as Brees, he will have more than one title. I hope so but I'm not going out on the limb to say that. Way too many variables happen in a season to try predicting.

JV Coach I will have to disagree with you on Eli. Just because the man took a lot of flak from the fans does not automatically make him a great player. I still say he is only average. Just like Doug Williams. The one good thing Eli did was not taking too many chances in their Super Bowl year. He played safe and allowed their defense to win some games for them.

Eli is a good QB and he deserves all the priase he gets becuase of all the hate he got before he won his super bowl. I mean they did beat undefeated patriots, right? And showed that he was clutch in that game.

The praise and the hate go hand-in-hand because of his last name. If Eli was not a Manning he would not have had all the high expectations he failed to live up too early in his career, as well as the uber-praise he received after the Giants won the Super Bowl. Eli played well enough in the game but the defense was the MVP of that Super Bowl. He is the Giants' Trent Dilfer... not much more than that. He will never equal his brother as a top of the line QB but he will be over-hyped because of his last name.

Eli was ok, not great ion that SB..he was 19-34with 2 TD and a int agianst an older slow defense. His big play of the game was just as much the WR making maybe the greatest catch as it was Eli slipping the sack to make the throw.

My point exactly Coach. :thumbsup:

It's good to see others are warming up to Romo. He'll get his Super Bowl in due time. Then some of the people that said he is over-rated will be on board and saying they knew it all along. LOL! The man has done nothing but improve every year he has played.

Now.... Doug Williams is a classic example. All the people saying that winning a Super Bowl is the measure of a great QB..... Explain how he won. Same thing with Ely Manning! Neither QB is above average in my "minds eye". They were the product of players around them performing very well.

BTW Romo has shown he can get it done in the playoffs. The only thing proven last year was "it takes the whole team performing well to win. Not just Romo and a few others.

Yea i agree, it would help if Roy would catch a few passes every now and then LOL

Most overrated qbs are:

1. Jay Cutler = great arm, no brain and confidence.

2. Eli Manning even though he was handed a super bowl to him. Pretty much the Super Bowl was given to the Giants that year. Cowboys gave it to them, Packers, and then the Pats. Anyone could have been the qb for the Giants that year and still got the ring. Eli is one of the most luckiest qbs ive ever seen. If he was not in New York people would be saying "who in the heck is Eli Manning. Oh that's Peytons brother, really, I didn't know that."

3. Even though i'm a die hard Cowboys fan and even though he finally won a playoff game against a crappy Eagles team, id have to say Romo. He's got great talent, but someone who dates a person like Jessica Simpson loses too many brain cells and it passed on to him. Hopefully and maybe he'll grow those brain cells back and the lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

I think Brees has proven he is a top QB. His time with San Diego and now with New Orleans has confirmed to me he is first rate. Maybe it should be said that by the time Romo plays as many games as Brees, he will have more than one title. I hope so but I'm not going out on the limb to say that. Way too many variables happen in a season to try predicting.

JV Coach I will have to disagree with you on Eli. Just because the man took a lot of flak from the fans does not automatically make him a great player. I still say he is only average. Just like Doug Williams. The one good thing Eli did was not taking too many chances in their Super Bowl year. He played safe and allowed their defense to win some games for them.

This is probably the only time ill ever agree with you but you are correct about eli

The easy choice right now is close between Eli and Cutler IMO. That being said i think you look at the players who started their careers hyped and busted Alex Smith is tops right now. But he looks to be on a upward trend.

As for Romo, He is right on schedule IMO. He will be fine. People keep trying to compare him to Brees and i dont see how the two even compare. Different styles, different gameplans, different situations. Both however are very close in some ways. They have very similar stats the last 3-4 years and are about the same in terms of wins. Slight edge to Brees with the ring but overall they are VERY close and both are top5 guys i the league.They are just VERY different types of QBs. The stat was brought up about Romo and his short amount of starts to a playoff win compared to others, but lets not forget he was not thrust into a starting role 1-2 years in the league like Brees, Manning, and others mentioned. Do not mistake the fact that having 3-4 years of learning Jason Garrets offense before being thrust into a starting role is not helping him. Guy is doing things right on schedule the way it should be. He is not superman, but not overhyped either. Same can be said for Brees, Rivers, and Rogers.

Pretty much my top 5 just for those wondering....

1. Peyton Manning

2. Brett Favre

3. Drew Brees

4. Tony Romo

5. Phillip Rivers

Eli was ok, not great ion that SB..he was 19-34with 2 TD and a int agianst an older slow defense. His big play of the game was just as much the WR making maybe the greatest catch as it was Eli slipping the sack to make the throw.

An old defense that up until that game had not lost a game all year? The argument that the Pats d was old and weak and it cost them the game agianst an overated qb is a pretty weak argument.

Me personally I like Eli with his aw shucks attitude (that gets the job done) plus he is an anti-prima donna in a very prima donna town/team. The giants that year lost supposedly thier two best players. Barbers to retirment and Shockey to injury and still won the superbowl. Plus before there is a great catch there has to be a great escape becuase if you remeber the defender had Eli dead to rights and Eli got away.

An old defense that up until that game had not lost a game all year? The argument that the Pats d was old and weak and it cost them the game agianst an overated qb is a pretty weak argument.

Me personally I like Eli with his aw shucks attitude (that gets the job done) plus he is an anti-prima donna in a very prima donna town/team. The giants that year lost supposedly thier two best players. Barbers to retirment and Shockey to injury and still won the superbowl. Plus before there is a great catch there has to be a great escape becuase if you remeber the defender had Eli dead to rights and Eli got away.

If you remember... The Giants defense is what excelled toward the end of the season. That is what drove them through the playoffs. Yes QB's do have good days. But, the league is full of QB's with Eli's skills and mental wares.

Yes it was a good escape and catch in the Pat's game. Romo has to do the same thing constantly. I'll just leave it at that.

yes an old defense that was unbeaten BECAUSE THE PATS OFFENSE scored the most points in the history of the NFL. And I did not say the Eli escape was not amazing, but the catch IMO was more amazing.

yes an old defense that was unbeaten BECAUSE THE PATS OFFENSE scored the most points in the history of the NFL. And I did not say the Eli escape was not amazing, but the catch IMO was more amazing.

We seem to be on the same wave length with this thread... my thoughts exactly.

The Giants D did an amazing job shutting down the best offense ever in the NFL. Eli and the rest of the Giants offense did a good job and made a couple of great plays but the Giants D was the MVP of that Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl MVP award only inflated Eli's over-hyped status. He isn't a diva QB, I agree, but most of the NFL QBs aren't, they let the WRs play that role.

Um isn't this the same guy who refused to play for the team that drafted him first overall? Seems pretty primo to me

Ha! I had forgot about that... I think the Chargers came out on top with Rivers though. He was a prima donna then wasn't he?