Most over hyped QB

I am sure they could have drafted Eli but made the right choice in skipping him.

The Chargers actually did draft Eli with the first pick. It was the insistence of the Mannings that Eli was not going to play for San Diego that he was swapped in a deal with New York. If they had of kept him then they would possibly lose out on signing him. They figured to cut their losses and work a trade. I think they made a wise decision on who they picked up out of it (Rivers).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... seems like I have forgotten all about Eli's draft. lol. I was thinking they skipped him but you are correct. Guess it worked out for both the Chargers and Eli in the end. Eli wouldn't have a ring without the Giants and the Chargers wouldn't have as good a QB with Eli.

Yeah... seems like I have forgotten all about Eli's draft. lol. I was thinking they skipped him but you are correct. Guess it worked out for both the Chargers and Eli in the end. Eli wouldn't have a ring without the Giants and the Chargers wouldn't have a good a QB with Eli.

:smirk:

Most overrated qbs are:

1. Jay Cutler = great arm, no brain and confidence.

2. Eli Manning even though he was handed a super bowl to him. Pretty much the Super Bowl was given to the Giants that year. Cowboys gave it to them, Packers, and then the Pats. Anyone could have been the qb for the Giants that year and still got the ring. Eli is one of the most luckiest qbs ive ever seen. If he was not in New York people would be saying "who in the heck is Eli Manning. Oh that's Peytons brother, really, I didn't know that."

3. Even though i'm a die hard Cowboys fan and even though he finally won a playoff game against a crappy Eagles team, id have to say Romo. He's got great talent, but someone who dates a person like Jessica Simpson loses too many brain cells and it passed on to him. Hopefully and maybe he'll grow those brain cells back and the lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

You are kidding right? Romo isnt good because he dated a "dumb" woman? Well in that case this world is full of idiots, because we have all dated some not so smart people.

You are kidding right? Romo isnt good because he dated a "dumb" woman? Well in that case this world is full of idiots, because we have all dated some not so smart people.

Put it to you this way. If i had the chance to "cough cough" with Jessica Simpson i would let people rag me about losing a playoff game too.

Put it to you this way. If i had the chance to "cough cough" with Jessica Simpson i would let people rag me about losing a playoff game too.

Most guys would. lol.

I don't think Romo is over-rated at all because he has put up a lot of franchise record numbers and he has got over the "no playoff win" hump. On top of that, most talking heads rank him lower than his numbers warrant.

If Romo improves as much as he has in the past couple of seasons this year... he will be top 5 in the league. Maybe top 3.

Most guys would. lol.

I don't think Romo is over-rated at all because he has put up a lot of franchise record numbers and he has got over the "no playoff win" hump. On top of that, most talking heads rank him lower than his numbers warrant.

If Romo improves as much as he has in the past couple of seasons this year... he will be top 5 in the league. Maybe top 3.

He already is top 5. IMO its Peyton a little over Favre. But the top two are a good deal above the rest. I think right now its tight between Romo and Brees for who is third. I give a slight edge to Brees but Romo could change that with a huge season and a superbowl apperance this season. Then Rivers is 5th. They each have what they are good at so its hard to compare...

I think Romo is a better athlete than any of the others. He combines running and passing to be a deadly weapon inside and outside the pocket. Manning is the smartest OC in the NFL. Enough said. Favre is the iron man of football, and the original gunslinger. The team wins or loses by him. Brees is the most accurate of the bunch. And i dont mean completion percentage, Im talking about location of his passes. He can put the ball in that perfect spot most of the time that means the difference in a catch over the shoulder and run, or a spin around and grab it catch you have to fight a db for. Some people will deny it, but this is what makes him good. Rivers is up and coming and in 3 years will be 3rd maybe 2nd. He, like Romo, gets better every year and should continue to increase his numbers.

He already is top 5. IMO its Peyton a little over Favre. But the top two are a good deal above the rest. I think right now its tight between Romo and Brees for who is third. I give a slight edge to Brees but Romo could change that with a huge season and a superbowl apperance this season. Then Rivers is 5th. They each have what they are good at so its hard to compare...

I think Romo is a better athlete than any of the others. He combines running and passing to be a deadly weapon inside and outside the pocket. Manning is the smartest OC in the NFL. Enough said. Favre is the iron man of football, and the original gunslinger. The team wins or loses by him. Brees is the most accurate of the bunch. And i dont mean completion percentage, Im talking about location of his passes. He can put the ball in that perfect spot most of the time that means the difference in a catch over the shoulder and run, or a spin around and grab it catch you have to fight a db for. Some people will deny it, but this is what makes him good. Rivers is up and coming and in 3 years will be 3rd maybe 2nd. He, like Romo, gets better every year and should continue to increase his numbers.

Rivers has the talent, there is no doubt, but I don't know if he has what it takes between the ears to be one of the top QB's in the league. The guy is a loud mouth and is constantly running his head at other players. One of these days, he's gonna ###### off a LB like Ray Lewis or someone like that and they are gonna ring his bell something fierce.

Rivers has the talent, there is no doubt, but I don't know if he has what it takes between the ears to be one of the top QB's in the league. The guy is a loud mouth and is constantly running his head at other players. One of these days, he's gonna ###### off a LB like Ray Lewis or someone like that and they are gonna ring his bell something fierce.

LOL I agree. But the guy put up some monster numbers last year and i dont see anyone else who is better for that 5th spot other than Brady. But Brady has always been surrounded by tons of talent and after seeing Cassel almost lead them to the playoffs im not sold he is as good as thought. But his rings make him right up there on the list i guess.

LOL I agree. But the guy put up some monster numbers last year and i dont see anyone else who is better for that 5th spot other than Brady. But Brady has always been surrounded by tons of talent and after seeing Cassel almost lead them to the playoffs im not sold he is as good as thought. But his rings make him right up there on the list i guess.

I pretty much refuse to give Brady any recognition at all. Don't like that guy in the least little bit. His coach either. Actually, I pretty much despise them both. Kinda funny they haven't been nearly as successful since Belicheat can't film everyones signals, practices and lord knows what else he was doing.

I pretty much refuse to give Brady any recognition at all. Don't like that guy in the least little bit. His coach either. Actually, I pretty much despise them both. Kinda funny they haven't been nearly as successful since Belicheat can't film everyones signals, practices and lord knows what else he was doing.

thats true. I too have strong dislike forbothe brady and his coach. But the guys has the most rings of active players. Most passing tds in a single season, and several good 4th quarter comebacks. But once again i dont think right now he is a top qb in the league. 3 years ago id argue he was in the top 3 even with my dislike. Since then Romo and Rivers have kicked him out of the top 5.

I don't think the filming stuff has hurt the Pats, plenty of teams have did the same but they didn't get ratted out by one of their own. Time and injuries have slowed them and the window is reapidly closing for them to return to the top.

Like them or not, both Brady and Belicheck are future Hall of Famers.

I think Brady will return to top form this year having returned to full health plus Brady and Moss are in contract years.

The most under-rated QB in the NFL, on the other hand, is probably Aaron Rogers. Even though I don't particularly care for him, he has been a very good successor to Bret Favre.

As far as a fan base over-hyping a QB it would be Raiders fans with Jason Campbell. You would think he is a pro bowl, championship winning QB. I can understand it somewhat though. If I had to set through the Jamarcus Russell experiment I would probably think the towel boy off an eighth grade B team under center would be the savior for the team.

• 2 weeks later...
My point exactly Coach. :thumbsup:

Manning’s stats were good considering the team they were playing. He may never live up to the unachievable expectations people had of him because of his last name. He has never claimed to be the greatest QB of all time or even the best in the game today. He is however, one of the better ones and without him they would not have won the Super Bowl. He put the passes where they could be caught regardless if a couple of times it requited the receiver to do their job which in to catch the ball if they can get their hand on it!

He stats throughout the playoffs may not have lit up the record book but the outcome were all wins against favored teams.

On January 13, 2008, Manning led the Giants to an upset victory over the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys, the number one seed in the NFC. For the third straight game, Manning played well, completing 12 of 18 passes for 163 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. The Giants were the first team to beat an NFC number one seed in the divisional round since the start of the 12-team format in 1990. This victory secured an NFC Championship berth against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, January 20, 2008. In the championship game, the Giants beat the Packers in overtime, with a score of 23-20.

Super Bowl:

Trailing 14-10 with 2:42 remaining, Manning led the Giants 83 yards on a game-winning touchdown drive against the heavily favored (12.5 points) undefeated New England Patriots. On a crucial third-and-5 at the Giants' 44 yard line, Manning connected with David Tyree on a play in which he avoided several near-sacks and Tyree caught the ball off his helmet for a large gain. Four plays later, Plaxico Burress caught a short touchdown pass with just 35 seconds remaining for the winning margin. Manning became only the second quarterback in NFL history to throw two go-ahead fourth quarter touchdowns in a Super Bowl (Joe Montana being the first). Manning also became the first quarterback to throw a last-minute, championship-winning touchdown in the NFL title game (including the pre-Super Bowl era) when a field goal would not at least tie the game.

So over hyped probably because of the unachievable expectations a lot of fans had but a good QB, yes, without a doubt. Manning had a very good college career but although he had good stats and a good win record he did not lead the NCAA. Why should people think he should be the greatest just because he in the pros. It was not like he had the very best receivers to throw to, not bad but not the best.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/Top-10-...;photo=11251156

Not only is Eli over-hyped... he's over-paid. lol.

Eli Manning, Giants QB

It's pretty rare to list a Super Bowl MVP, didn't the Giants D-linemen really deserve the award? -(happy to see someone in the media saying the same thing I have said)–-- in this category, but it's tough to get over his $97.5 million extension, one that will pay him $15.27 million per year between 2009 and 2015, with $35 million guaranteed through this year. Eli benefits from being New York's QB and the fact that he won a Super Bowl. Yes, he's good. But does he elevate the play of young WRs around him? Would the Packers trade Aaron Rodgers straight up for Eli? I don't think so. Would the Cowboys trade Tony Romo for Eli? No again.

(Text from Eli's number 8 spot of over-paid NFL players.)

He stats throughout the playoffs may not have lit up the record book but the outcome were all wins against favored teams.

As I have said before he was good, not great. He rode on the coat tails of the defensive line to the title. Nothing wrong with that but he didn't deserve the Super Bowl MVP award.

Manning’s stats were good considering the team they were playing. He may never live up to the unachievable expectations people had of him because of his last name. He has never claimed to be the greatest QB of all time or even the best in the game today. He is however, one of the better ones and without him they would not have won the Super Bowl. He put the passes where they could be caught regardless if a couple of times it requited the receiver to do their job which in to catch the ball if they can get their hand on it!

On January 13, 2008, Manning led the Giants to an upset victory over the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys, the number one seed in the NFC. For the third straight game, Manning played well, completing 12 of 18 passes for 163 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. The Giants were the first team to beat an NFC number one seed in the divisional round since the start of the 12-team format in 1990. This victory secured an NFC Championship berth against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, January 20, 2008. In the championship game, the Giants beat the Packers in overtime, with a score of 23-20.

Super Bowl:

Trailing 14-10 with 2:42 remaining, Manning led the Giants 83 yards on a game-winning touchdown drive against the heavily favored (12.5 points) undefeated New England Patriots. On a crucial third-and-5 at the Giants' 44 yard line, Manning connected with David Tyree on a play in which he avoided several near-sacks and Tyree caught the ball off his helmet for a large gain. Four plays later, Plaxico Burress caught a short touchdown pass with just 35 seconds remaining for the winning margin. Manning became only the second quarterback in NFL history to throw two go-ahead fourth quarter touchdowns in a Super Bowl (Joe Montana being the first). Manning also became the first quarterback to throw a last-minute, championship-winning touchdown in the NFL title game (including the pre-Super Bowl era) when a field goal would not at least tie the game.

So over hyped probably because of the unachievable expectations a lot of fans had but a good QB, yes, without a doubt. Manning had a very good college career but although he had good stats and a good win record he did not lead the NCAA. Why should people think he should be the greatest just because he in the pros. It was not like he had the very best receivers to throw to, not bad but not the best.

Your Kidding Right?... Eli is only an average QB. He just had the opportunity to play for a team that had a defense that caught fire the last part of the season. That team won those games. It was not because of just Eli. AVERAGE>>>>> that is all he is.

Your Kidding Right?... Eli is only an average QB. He just had the opportunity to play for a team that had a defense that caught fire the last part of the season. That team won those games. It was not because of just Eli. AVERAGE>>>>> that is all he is.

No, not kidding. I'll stick to my statement.

Let's look a little closer at Eli. In 2007 when the Giants won the super Bowl was only Manning 2nd full year of being a starter. He improved as the year went on and saved his best when the Giants needed it the most. Manning was at his best at the end of the season when he made almost no mistake and delivered enough to win the game and of course with the help of the rest of the team, it is a team sport.

In the final 5 games of 2007 Manning was threw 10 TD's and 1 Int. The last 4 games were in the playoffs in which we threw 6 TD's and 1 Int. All in all Eli is 53 - 27 (hardly average) as a starter and had 16 game winning drives (30.2%), 14 of which came in the 4th Qtr (26.4%). That is very impressive and probably one of the highest percentage in football, hardly average.

In 2007 when the Giants won the Super Bowl, Eli had 6 game winning drives, three of which was in the playoffs and 1 of those game winning drives was the Super Bowl. Too many clutch performances to be considered average especially in he biggest games.

In 2008 Eli was 11th ranked QB in he league, passer rating was 14th, 17th in yards, 10th in TD's, 9th in TD% and 26th in INT % (higher the better). There were over 100 QB's and other who threw a pass in 2007 and had chance's to have a higher rating and 40 QB's who through over 100 passes. So I think Eli certainly was a great deal better than average.

In 2009, Eli was ranked 12th overall and finished with the 11th best QB ranking. Eli was 10th in yards, 9th in TD's, 6th in TD % and 18th in INT %. I would say again, a lot better than average especially when he did not have his main receiver for the year. Also, in 2009 Eli threw for 4,021 yars and 27 TD's again better than average and without Plexico.

From the final 5 games in 2007 through the end of 2009, Eli had thrown 58 TD's and 25 INT's. Not to bad and again, better than average!

Now if you remember, I did not say he was the greatest of all time or even the best in the game today. However, I do believe he is much better than average. He will be best judged over a longer period of time. His biggest problem and what has lead to all he expectations and hype is the fact he is Peyton's brother. If he was anybody else he would not be over hyped and would probably be exceeding expectations, certainly the Giants were pleased enough to give him a large contract extension.

Eli over hyped? Yes, because he is Peyton's little brother but I still feel he is not the most over hyped QB or player.

In 2007 the Giants were 21st in the league in passing offense. Manning only had a 73 passer rating. Average

Eli was rated 25th in passing. They were also in the bottom third in lost fumbles as an offense. Average. The Giants were among the leaders in rushing. Rushing the ball and an stellar defense made their run to the super bowl. I would imagine some short field position helped their offense. Since the defense shutdown some teams so well.

I guess we will disagree. I still say he is only average. But he has a ring. Ooops so does Doug Williams.

Sam Bradford!! What has he done to deserve $50 million. The last time I saw him play, he was laid out on the turf @ the Cotton Bowl after Texas put him out for good. He will be a bust because he won't survive the beating in St. Louis.

Sam Bradford!! What has he done to deserve $50 million. The last time I saw him play, he was laid out on the turf @ the Cotton Bowl after Texas put him out for good. He will be a bust because he won't survive the beating in St. Louis.

What has that to do with his talents? Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach were both laid out. Were they not good QB's? Put some meat out here to support your argument. Then people can have fun with it. :thumbsup: