What do you think is the toughest/most difficult sport?

stillfly01

water polo - Some things to consider

1) the real action is under water and is hard to see (it can get nasty)

2) it is played "deep" water - you can not touch bottom and pushing off from the side is a turnover (except start of play)

3) try swimming a "sprint" from a dead stop in water.

The bronzed male athlete at the LA Olympics was a water polo player.

Hardest thing to do is hit a round ball, whether it's golf or baseball. Golf is difficult to master, but baseball requires more all-around tools, IMO. At least the golf ball is sitting still on the grass or a tee, not moving 90+ mph and diving at the same time.

i attempted golf a few times (failed miserably) and it seems to me like its not so much a sport than an extremely skilled game. i dont know what everyone else thinks, but in my opinion a sport is more physically demanding and uses skill AND athleticism.

2) it is played "deep" water - you can not touch bottom and pushing off from the side is a turnover (except start of play)

I played a bit in school in 9th grade and it's BRUTAL. Nothing like being out of breath and having players push you under over and over. I could have cared less who won just get me out of the pool!!

Surfing also should get some consideration here. If you have ever tied a 6+' piece of foam to your leg and paddled out in 10' surf then you understand. Oh and there is always the chance you get eaten.

i attempted golf a few times (failed miserably) and it seems to me like its not so much a sport than an extremely skilled game. i dont know what everyone else thinks, but in my opinion a sport is more physically demanding and uses skill AND athleticism.

go walk 18 holes a day for four days in a row and get back to me...

Golf, and as Eagle said, it is also the most fun. A bad day on the golf course, is still one of the best days ever! The game is difficult, and about the time you think you have it mastered, well, you shoot your worst round ever. But that one good shot, keeps you coming back, and the freedom of the game, and the beauty of playing on different courses is awesome. Frustrating, but yet in a peaceful sort of way. One of the most gratifying games there is. When you connect with the little white ball, you can feel the power, and watching a shot that has just the right distance, the right spin, the right flight, and seeing the ball hit the green and roll toward the hole...doesn't get any better. Then you get full of yourself and shank (oh no, I said the sword) your next shot, off the tee!

Greatest game ever!

Tour de France.The average atheletes heart would explode and fall from his chest before he could pedal a bicycle 2300 + miles.

Bunch of sissies on bicycles with tight pants and funny hats sucking on water bottles! Get a motorcycle!!! :w00t:

GOLF Hey lloyd45, get this. When I was in my 30's, in the summer, I would walk 3 rounds (54 holes) and carry my clubs almost every Saturday. Usually broke 80 each round. One year during the 4th of July weekend, I walked and carried my clubs 3 rounds two days in a row. Next day, I went to my in-law's and ended up having to mow his yard. Almost died mowing the yard!! I have seen people that are awesome in other sports take up golf and just cannot seem to get a handle on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Adventure Racing! When I was racing, we would be competing for days at a time, non-stop. The sport involves mountain biking, long distance trail running, kayaking, climbing all done while navigating with map and compass. Sleep and food were rare treats.

• 2 weeks later...
Adventure Racing! When I was racing, we would be competing for days at a time, non-stop. The sport involves mountain biking, long distance trail running, kayaking, climbing all done while navigating with map and compass. Sleep and food were rare treats.

This might top my choice of Ironman Triathalon, as for individual sport/physically tough.

Tough and difficult seem to have different interpretations among the posters.

Here's my list with clarification.

Difficult for individual skill/technical ability/mental aspect: GOLF. It's you against the course and your ability to replicate the needed shot. Second choice for individuals, with physical strength AND skill set/repetition, Biathlon. More emphasis here on a taxing physical aspect, with the similar need to recreate the shot.

Difficulty of One-on-One competition: Wrestling. good choice. Mental and physical aspects are high calibre. Dicipline, quick thinking, and highly conditioned.

Team sport, toughness: Tough guy tough :collision sport, no pads, and fast action. Australian rules football or Rugby. Rugby gets the nod on the mental side. (no pun intended).

Team sport physical conditioning tough: Soccer and Water Polo have some of the most physically demanding conditions of endurance to be found. Soccer is to Football, like Chess is to Checkers. On the fly, constantly changing, thinking required. No stopping after plays that didn't score, or time-outs to talk it over.

I know in East Texas, there will be many opinions of "What? No football Americano ?" I am not saying it is not a tough sport. I have seen enough other sports to form the opinion, however, that it is not THE toughest.

Physically brutal, needed skill sets, and mental toughness, YES.

Just not the most all around.

(I welcome rebuttal of an intelligent fact-based nature, but remember, it is opinion, and this is mine.)

Swimming and airplane piloting would be a tie. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

When you stop you die !!!