Who come out on top-16 3A

footballguy44

:rofl: :wacko:

Wouldn't laugh so much. I went and watched Gilmer scrimmage this morning, and my Eagles earlier this evening. As of right now......I couldn't tell you a clear favorite. Gilmer isn't the Gilmer of years past. Luke Turner looked good.....but, their small and just didnt have that "it" factor that you usually see from Gilmer.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't laugh so much. I went and watched Gilmer scrimmage this morning, and my Eagles earlier this evening. As of right now......I couldn't tell you a clear favorite. Gilmer isn't the Gilmer of years past. Luke Turner looked good.....but, their small and just didnt have that "it" factor that you usually see from Gilmer.

It factor, now that's funny, Give us Tatum's it factor, Guru!

You better worry about the TEAM factor!

Hey guys let us not forget, the worst can beat the best, the best can barely beat the worst on any given Friday. We all have our favorites, and truth be told this is going to be one heck of a year for East Texas football. In regards to Carthage, they played a lot of the backups all year, those athletes have a ton of experience and some great coaching. I refuse to predict the out come, but I look forward to watching it! Not sure about the rest of you, but I am going to find the nearest stadium on Friday nights and enjoy the beauty of the game. May God bless these kids. My only hope is they respect the game the way it was intended to be. In other words they better wake up sore on Saturday morning....lol!!!

Hey guys let us not forget, the worst can beat the best, the best can barely beat the worst on any given Friday.  We all have our favorites, and truth be told this is going to be one heck of a year for East Texas football.  In regards to Carthage, they played a lot of the backups all year, those athletes have a ton of experience and some great coaching.  I refuse to predict the out come, but I look forward to watching it!  Not sure about the rest of you, but I am going to find the nearest stadium on Friday nights and enjoy the beauty of the game.  May God bless these kids.  My only hope is they respect the game the way it was intended to be.  In other words they better wake up sore on Saturday morning....lol!!!

Good post maddog!

It factor, now that's funny, Give us Tatum's it factor, Guru!

You better worry about the TEAM factor!

LOL Thats what I'm talkin about, the team just didn't have that swag they usually do. The defense is no where near the same as it was last year.

Gilmer will not run off and leave us by any means. Its not that far away, simmer down.....we'll see ya in Buckeye country soon enough.

In my opinion I see it:

1. Henderson

2. Gilmer

3. Carthage

4. Pitt

5. Gladewater

6. SH

I think the Fletcher that plays LB for Henderson is the best defensive player in this district. Overrall I think Henderson has the edge in defense. But I do think Claiborne for Carthage is the best offensive player in the district I'm just worried about how much he will get the ball with a whole new offensive line blocking. Luke Turner I believe has been on varsity since his freshman year so I think he will be a great leader for the Buckeyes. Carthage was in alot of close games last year and if the players they had last year had a tough time then i'm ready to see how this group perfoms. I will say that last year the 2nd group for the Dawgs let the other team back in the game several times I believe all the Dawg fans remember a 42-0 lead on Caldwell at halftime went up in smoke very fast.

In my opinion I see it:

1. Henderson

2. Gilmer

3. Carthage

4. Pitt

5. Gladewater

6. SH

I think the Fletcher that plays LB for Henderson is the best defensive player in this district. Overrall I think Henderson has the edge in defense. But I do think Claiborne for Carthage is the best offensive player in the district I'm just worried about how much he will get the ball with a whole new offensive line blocking. Luke Turner I believe has been on varsity since his freshman year so I think he will be a great leader for the Buckeyes. Carthage was in alot of close games last year and if the players they had last year had a tough time then i'm ready to see how this group perfoms. I will say that last year the 2nd group for the Dawgs let the other team back in the game several times I believe all the Dawg fans remember a 42-0 lead on Caldwell at halftime went up in smoke very fast.

Yes, I most certainly remember the Caldwell game, and it was aggravating to say the least. However, there will be some veterans mixed in with those backups that came into those games last season playing against starters on playoff teams from last year. I get what you're saying and agree to a degree, but that's kind of apples and oranges, but I do get where you're coming from.

Yes, I most certainly remember the Caldwell game, and it was aggravating to say the least. However, there will be some veterans mixed in with those backups that came into those games last season playing against starters on playoff teams from last year. I get what you're saying and agree to a degree, but that's kind of apples and oranges, but I do get where you're coming from.

How did the dawgs do against Kilgore yesterday??None of the Carthage faithfuls have answered on the thread????? Was it canceled or just not what was expected.. :hmm:

How did the dawgs do against Kilgore yesterday??None of the Carthage faithfuls have answered on the thread????? Was it canceled or just not what was expected.. :hmm:

Oh man, I haven't a clue. I looked on that thread for some guidance as well and was surprised to find nothing. I haven't talked to anyone from home about it yet and was here in Fort Worth so I didn't hear anything about it yet.

May not have gone as well as us Dawg fans had hoped or maybe just kind of hohum. I'm not sure.

Well Kilgore is a very good ball team with a very good q.b. and r.b. I seen them both at the combine in which it was invite only and the 2 were very impressive. So they scrimmaged a very good team.

Do you know what happened?

1.Henderson

2.Carthage

3.Gilmer

4.Pittsburgh

5.Gladewater

6.Spring Hill

First of all I put Gilmer third out of no disrespect to the Gilmer faithful only that I did not keep up with them heavily last year and from pure hear-say believe them to not be returning much. Henderson is a tough team and while they only went 5-5 last year, their defense appeared to have tremendous potential. I dont see Carthage as good, or as bad as some people predict. I believe they lost the most talent in the district hands down. They lost about 7 players who had started for three years. They have great coaching down there though and I know they are doing everything in their power to get that team ready to go. All in all what I expect to see this year is going to be many rough em up, grinding it out games that we arent accustomed to seeing from some of these teams. Dont be surprised if after week one in district everyone is saying how Carthage will win it all cause they played phenomenally, and then the next week they play terrible. I can see this from just about every team in the district. But then again who ever really knows? The Dallas Cowboys are supposed to be amazing on offense this year and havent scored a touchdown yet in preseason, but that doesnt mean they are no where near where people thought. Good luck to everyone in this district.

Talked to a player on Carthage and he said they did fine. He mentioned that the defense will more than likley have to be the strong part of the team. Heard Kilgore was getting to Morgan pretty good. If I am wrong please fill me in.

Before I mention how the scrimmage was, understand that I am not trying start an argument....

Neither team looked good. I was there. Yes Morgan is a good QB but he has no protection this year. Carthage D was not impressive. It is a huge factor not having their safety. Kilgore could not move the ball due to a very weak and small offensive line. Yes they have a great running back but he will have to move the ball himself. I was very dissapointed with the scrimmage. Neither team scored because there was NO protection on the the QB's. Kilgores D is small and Carthage D is small except for their middle linebacker. The only thing that Kilgore did was keep KT from getting to the ball. Putting money on it.... Carthage will lose their opener to Jville and Kilgore. Yes both teams will get better over the next few weeks but Kilgore was better last year. This Carthage team is nowhere near last years team.

Before I mention how the scrimmage was, understand that I am not trying start an argument....

Neither team looked good. I was there. Yes Morgan is a good QB but he has no protection this year. Carthage D was not impressive. It is a huge factor not having their safety. Kilgore could not move the ball due to a very weak and small offensive line. Yes they have a great running back but he will have to move the ball himself. I was very dissapointed with the scrimmage. Neither team scored because there was NO protection on the the QB's. Kilgores D is small and Carthage D is small except for their middle linebacker. The only thing that Kilgore did was keep KT from getting to the ball. Putting money on it.... Carthage will lose their opener to Jville and Kilgore. Yes both teams will get better over the next few weeks but Kilgore was better last year. This Carthage team is nowhere near last years team.

Kilgore was better last year? Ouch!!!!!

In my opinion I see it:

1. Henderson

2. Gilmer

3. Carthage

4. Pitt

5. Gladewater

6. SH

Yes i agree with one thing lets not forget people Henderson got the best D-Lineman in district also with Corey Fletcher he got three sacks on Carthage last year and is a beast on the line with him and his twin playing linebacker who knows? Luke Turner will be a better QB then Morgan on the other hand gladewater will be tough along with pittsburg Carthage can not be the smash mouth team they once was with the o line and d line being small in the end Fletcher Twins against Kendall Tompson linebacker from Carthage for district championship

Looks like Surratt and Co have alot of work to do. If they are as good of coaches as we all think they are they should atleast make playoffs, BUT if they don't maybe they are good coaches but had great players and more credit should go to the players they had these last years. I'm anxious to see how the season goes. Not looking for an argument bout how good the coaches are just stating my thoughts.

All it takes is one loss to a team that Gilmer or Carthage are expected to beat handily, and strange things will happen. People are funny creatures. We do irrational things all the time, especially when it comes to sports. I have seen a team go from huge support to almost no support in a matter of two games. The bandwagoners are in the majority in every community, I'm afraid. As soon as that wagon hits a big bump they jump off quick. Ask any of the other Tatum fans that have stuck by our team the last couple of years just how frustrating it gets in the stands and how much it actually effects the boys on the field.

I will agree that what you say is true in some communities. I know first hand how winning can put the fans in the stadium, and losing can have the opposite effect, but don't agree that it is true about either Gilmer or Carthage. Gilmer's success has run through a decade and longer. They have built up the loyal fan base, and a loss isn't going to empty the stadium. Bottom line is, one of these teams will lose this year. At least one game, maybe more, but that won't keep them out of the playoffs, nor will it keep them from becoming a state champion again. To teams like Gilmer and Carthage, a loss isn't the devastation you might think. I would worry more if I happened to be the team that either Carthage or Gilmer played the week after they lost.

I will agree that what you say is true in some communities. I know first hand how winning can put the fans in the stadium, and losing can have the opposite effect, but don't agree that it is true about either Gilmer or Carthage. Gilmer's success has run through a decade and longer. They have built up the loyal fan base, and a loss isn't going to empty the stadium. Bottom line is, one of these teams will lose this year. At least one game, maybe more, but that won't keep them out of the playoffs, nor will it keep them from becoming a state champion again. To teams like Gilmer and Carthage, a loss isn't the devastation you might think. I would worry more if I happened to be the team that either Carthage or Gilmer played the week after they lost.

Hey, would it make you feel any better if I said I think Gladewater will beat both Carthage and Gilmer this year?

Tell it big man!!!!!!