Best High School football team for its size!

Hayseed

Wow... I'm amazed. Some folks don't get the concept.

Can Daingerfield, Gilmer, Carthage and the like beat a team like Longview.

Of course not. The numbers just won't allow it.

But, you combine Daingerfield, Gilmer and Carthage's roster last year, and they take the Lobos behind the shed for a good old fashioned #### woopin'. I'm sorry, that's just the truth. I don't see how anyone can honestly argue that fact.

But, that doesn't mean Longview was not a great 4a team last year. If not for the juggernaut that is Lake Travis, Longview would have two state titles.

Why is that so hard for everyone to admit. Why do some Longview fans have such a hard time giving the smaller schools props.

I think buckeyefan1984 is right. I wish the Lobos would win a state title so their fans could just ease up a bit. geesh!

Thanks franksnbeans, I've heard of "that time of the month". But Aunt Flo has lived in Longview since the 1937 season and frankly, some of them hasn't handled it very well.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if smaller schools dont see the "quality athletes" the big schoold do, why does small small daingerfield have more Division 1 college athletes than Longvieew this year? Do colleges feel that since 2a schools dont play quality athletes they will give a sympayhy scholarship? Didnt think so BBBUUUURRRNNN.... btw...go 16 games allowing only 8 points and then you can talk ####.

D-Field had more than Abilene, Katy, ET and Westlake, what's your point?

This statement, is specifically the reason why I put the word DEPTH in my last post. That is the diffrence between Small and Large. DEPTH(Also known as hidden talent). Small schools will have alot of 3 year starters, while Larger schools will have alot of 1st year starters, Why? Depth. Drill it in your mind right now...D-e-p-t-h. And yet again, I bet im going to see another outrageous comment, just like this.

Again, I specifically put the words Quality Of Opponents in my last post. You do remember that don't you? Well when you have a good Quality Of Opponents yearly, those credentials are nearly impossible. While on the other hand, when you don't have a good Quality Of Opponents, it wouldn't be very hard to achieve.

And you just had to prove my point for me. lol I may actually enjoy seeing Longview get their head handed to em against those Mesquite teams.

Well. Considering our fan base is probably one of the most active in the state(Didn't say it was the most active), it wouldn't hurt me one bit to see you root against Longview. I personally love doubters, because in the end, they look very dumb.

This statement, is specifically the reason why I put the word DEPTH in my last post. That is the diffrence between Small and Large. DEPTH(Also known as hidden talent). Small schools will have alot of 3 year starters, while Larger schools will have alot of 1st year starters, Why? Depth. Drill it in your mind right now...D-e-p-t-h. And yet again, I bet im going to see another outrageous comment, just like this.

Again, I specifically put the words Quality Of Opponents in my last post. You do remember that don't you? Well when you have a good Quality Of Opponents yearly, those credentials are nearly impossible. While on the other hand, when you don't have a good Quality Of Opponents, it wouldn't be very hard to achieve.

The quality of opponents? lol You seem to think quantity = quality. What I mean by that is that you are making the argument that the smaller schools cannot be pound for pound as good as the larger schools because the larger schools are, well, larger.

Then, you want to argue that a large 4A school that cannot win a state championship is better pound for pound than a 3A or 2A school that can, and do so consistently. Dude, don't you get how foolish you sound?

Well. Considering our fan base is probably one of the most active in the state(Didn't say it was the most active), it wouldn't hurt me one bit to see you root against Longview. I personally love doubters, because in the end, they look very dumb.

As opposed to your ingenious arguments on this forum?

Wow... I'm amazed. Some folks don't get the concept.

Can Daingerfield, Gilmer, Carthage and the like beat a team like Longview.

Of course not. The numbers just won't allow it.

But, you combine Daingerfield, Gilmer and Carthage's roster last year, and they take the Lobos behind the shed for a good old fashioned #### woopin'. I'm sorry, that's just the truth. I don't see how anyone can honestly argue that fact.

But, that doesn't mean Longview was not a great 4a team last year. If not for the juggernaut that is Lake Travis, Longview would have two state titles.

Why is that so hard for everyone to admit. Why do some Longview fans have such a hard time giving the smaller schools props.

I think buckeyefan1984 is right. I wish the Lobos would win a state title so their fans could just ease up a bit. geesh!

franksnbeans hit the nail on the head. Actually, that combined team of Carthage, Gilmer and Daingerfield would have won 4A and perhaps 5A as well. Just too many playmakers on those teams. I don't have rosters from last year, but I'm sure someone could make an allstar roster from those 3 teams and put it up against Longview's roster or LT, or whomever.....

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this argument. But, I can't help myself. Here goes:

Combine the three teams you're talking about (Daingerfield, Gilmer and Carthage). The combined enrollment numbers would be 1766 (Dfield=407; Gilmer=628; Carthage=731). That's still 319 students shy of Longview's enrollment. In fact, the Dfield/Gilmer/Carthage team would be in 4A and Longview would, of course be 5A.

Now, look at the key players from Dfield/Gilmer/Carthage from last year:

Offense:

QB - Stump Godfrey (Gilmer) - New Mexico

RB - KoKo Smith (Daingerfield) - Sam Houston State

RB - Gus Johnson (Gilmer) - Tulsa

WR - Chris Jones (Daingerfield) - Texas

WR - Triston Holt (Gilmer) - Missouri

WR - Kedon Franklin (Gilmer) - Northwestern State

WR - Keyarris Garrett (Daingerfield) - Tulsa

WR - Floyd Chism (Daingerfield) - Nicholls State

OL - Jacob Jenkins (Gilmer) - Missouri

OL - Cutter Clinton (Carthage) - SFA

OL - Michael Boddie (Gilmer) - Houston

OL - Kendrick Henderson (Carthage) - Northwestern State

OL - Shayvion Hatten (Daingerfield) - Texas A&M

Ath - Tyler Boyd (Daingerfield) - Missouri

Ath - Jalen Claiborne (Carthage)

Defense:

DB - Braylon Webb (Gilmer) - Missouri

DB - Marcus Peters (Daingerfield) - Central Arkansas

DB - Garrett Hughes (Daingerfield) - Tarleton State

DB - Ed Pope (Carthage) - Any school he wants basically

DE - Donald Bryant (Daingerfield) - Baylor

DT - Deshun Williams (Carthage) - Texas State

DT - TreKevian Mckee (Carthage) - Midwestern State

DE - Kentravious Brantley (Carthage) - Midwestern State

LB - Kendall Thompson (Carthage) - Texas

LB - Steve Edmond (Daingerfield) - Texas

LB - Vance Green (Gilmer) - Colorado State

Ath - David Mims (Daingerfield) - Rice, etc.

I think they would compete just fine against any school. Euless Trinity, Abilene, Lake Travis, yes.. and even the Longview Lobos. With a combined enrollment of only 1766.

I'm just sayin'.

Here ya go, Friscofan. Courtesy of franksnbeans.....

Like I've said, give me these players, a good coach, and a year or so to gel, and we would win state in any classification in my opinion.

Ahh yes, the word D-e-p-t-h is brought into the mix. How noble of you to "FINALLY" come around to the thinking of the rest of East Texas. So then, to combine the rosters of Gilmer, Carthage, and Daingerfield to "almost" match student body numbers of Longview...then to play the game. Who would win there wolfpack4life? Let's see if "homerism" rears its ugly head again? Because the topic of this thread was "pound for pound". But I just know that "some" of you Lobo fans are going to try to spin it where you can STILL plead your case for football gods of the universe.

And again, Gilmer, Carthage, and Daingerfield played quality opponents for their classifications. Gilmer and Carthage aren't the largest of 3A schools but yet, both have 2 state titles this decade. Daingerfield isn't the largest of 2A, but yet they also have 2 state titles this decade. Yes, yes, we know, we know...Gilmer, Carthage, and Daingerfield wouldn't be able to beat LT because of LT's sheer numbers. However, let Gilmer, Carthage, and Daingerfield have the same number of students...and the sheer numbers of players to choose from and we aren't even having this discussion. Heck, if Gilmer, Carthage, or Daingerfield had the same number of students as Longview "YOU" wouldn't even be on this thread spouting off anything because it would be 3 losses for Longview...

You know it, I know it, and practically every poster on this forum "outside" of Longview knows it. Like I said, I'll be glad when you guys "finally" when a state championship because Aunt Flo has been wearing you guys out.

I have a novel idea......

Let's say Gilmer has 42 players on its roster form an enrollment of 650 which would be 6.5% of the student body and let Longview take 650 random students from it student body at the same ratio of b Longview would then le Lviewfield a team of 42 players. Would that 42 be able to compete with the 42 from Gilmer? It would be pound for pound the same . I am noot sayin let Longview have the best 42 in its school now, let it be a cros section of all demographics. How would that turn out?

I am not saying Gilmer could beat Longview as it stands now but as this topic is suppose to be I feel Gilmer (or D'field and Carthage for that matter ) has as many athletes per ratio to total students as Longview. ( Example- How may starters for the 2010 University of Texas football team does is from Gilmer compared to Longview? Jus sayin'

Let's say Gilmer has 42 players on its roster form an enrollment of 650 which would be 6.5% of the student body and let Longview take 650 random students from it student body at the same ratio of b Longview would then le Lviewfield a team of 42 players. Would that 42 be able to compete with the 42 from Gilmer? It would be pound for pound the same . I am noot sayin let Longview have the best 42 in its school now, let it be a cros section of all demographics. How would that turn out?

also jus sayin Gilmer is know for some recruiting. jus sayin....... haha

I am not saying Gilmer could beat Longview as it stands now but as this topic is suppose to be I feel Gilmer (or D'field and Carthage for that matter ) has as many athletes per ratio to total students as Longview. ( Example- How may starters for the 2010 University of Texas football team does is from Gilmer compared to Longview? Jus sayin'

Gilmer does recruit a lil better than Longview

also jus sayin Gilmer is know for some recruiting. jus sayin....... haha

and? than i guess longview does pretty well with sub par talent then huh?...jus sayin....

Oh, I'm sure Longview has more talent than any of these teams but why don't they go to the next level? Is it because you don't showcase much with pitch right and pitch left type football? Does the coaching staff not do a good job preparing these kids for college. It always baffles me as to why Longview doesn't sent more kids to collegs when schools with 1/4 of their enrollement does. Enlighten me. I bet Traylor and Surratt could work wonders with the type of talent Longview has available.

Oh, I'm sure Longview has more talent than any of these teams but why don't they go to the next level? Is it because you don't showcase much with pitch right and pitch left type football? Does the coaching staff not do a good job preparing these kids for college. It always baffles me as to why Longview doesn't sent more kids to collegs when schools with 1/4 of their enrollement does. Enlighten me. I bet Traylor and Surratt could work wonders with the type of talent Longview has available.

Traylor or Surratt would've already won state titles with Longview just as they have at Gilmer and Carthage, respectively.

No lie there, but how hard did you work to get em'? How tough were your opponents?

Compared to how hard teams like Longview, Lufkin, Lee, JT, Marshall..etc have to work.

It's a simple question that requires a simple answer. No "Buts ifs and ands"

That IS simple......they worked just as hard as ANY team worked.

wrong!!!!!!!......builds a better program top to bottom!!!.....if i was a kid and i thought i was one of the best around who would you want to play for?......easy.....lobos!

I can think of several otheres I'd rather play for....ya know, if I wanted a ring! :whome: