DeMarco Murray

BudaSooner

There have been a number of Texas fans on this forum, among others (even some Sooner fans), who decry Murray as over-rated, over-hyped, a barely better than average running back. I have a few comments to make, but I thought that this writer, who even though he writes for an OKC paper, makes some good points. Following is a copy-and-paste of the article:

NORMAN — Player A came to campus ballyhooed, sat out his freshman year, fought through injuries and entered his fifth Sooner season with 2,471 career rushing yards. Player B came to campus ballyhooed, fought through injuries, received an extra year of eligibility and entered his fifth Sooner season with 2,448 career rushing yards.

One of those players is Billy Sims. The other is DeMarco Murray.

That's right, the biographical and statistical similarities are striking between Sims, Player B and the best offensive player in OU football history, and Murray, Player A and the Sooners' senior tailback.

Though Murray has had what many would call a disappointing career — missing games with bizarre injuries and sharing time with Allen Patrick and Chris Brown — he's got more career yards after four years than did Sims, even though Sims won a Heisman Trophy in his fourth season.

Now as a senior, with a mandate from Bob Stoops to get the ball more than ever, Murray has a chance, barring another goofy injury, to zoom up the OU career chart.

* Needs just 933 yards to become the No. 6 all-time OU rusher.

* Needs 1,529 yards to join Sims, Joe Washington, Adrian Peterson and Steve Owens in the Sooners' 4,000-yard club.

* Needs 1,648 to break Sims' career record of 4,118 yards.

"Anything is possible," Murray said. "But I'm not looking forward to breaking anyone's record. I'm just trying to stay healthy."

That's been the hard part. A serious turf toe plagued Murray in 2006, so he redshirted. In 2007, Murray suffered a dislocated kneecap during an onside kick against Texas Tech. In 2008, it was a torn hamstring on the opening kickoff in the Big 12 title game.

In all, Murray has missed six games the past three years.

"I have no control whether I play one game or two or 10 or 12," Murray said. "Whenever I'm out there, I'm going to play as hard as I can.

"I never thought I would be here five years. I'm taking it with full gratitude. I love it here. I love playing in front of these fans."

The idea that Murray could join the pantheon of Sims/Washington/Peterson/Owens seems a little silly. Murray has started only 18 of 36 career games. Never led OU in carries in a season.

But that figures to change. Before August camp opened, Stoops said he hopes to get the ball to Murray "similar to a guy like Adrian Peterson."

Peterson carried 339 times as a freshman and 220 times as a sophomore. Give Murray 220 carries in 2010, and he'll almost surely fall short of 4,000 yards. Give Murray 339 carries, and he'll almost surely break Sims' record.

"I don't think there'll be as much substituting as the last two, three years," Murray said. "They're going to give me the ball as many times as I can handle it."

The Sooner receiving corps was shaky in 2009 and, according to Stoops, remains so. That could mean OU tries to run the ball more.

If Murray plays 14 games, he'll need to average 117 yards per game to catch Sims. In 13 games, 127 yards.

Murray has averaged 5.2 yards per carry in his career. At that pace, Murray will need 317 carries to pass Sims.

DeMarco Murray is not Billy Sims. No one else in Sooner history has been, either. But if Murray climbs up the charts and approaches that 4,000-yard club, it's a testimony to perseverance.

Berry Tramel, newsok.com

There is no doubt in my mind that had Murray not been hampered by injuries, he would have likely changed some people's opinion of his abilities.

, with highlights from his freshman season, before the injuries started to accumulate. To those who say that he is a straight-ahead runner, with only speed as an attribute, check out his moves at the 1:09 mark in the video.

A couple of things come to mind after reading this article.

1. I remember watching Murray play when he was injured and thought he was one heck of a tough guy. Although he wasn't anywhere near 100%, he kept fighting for yards and trying to get the edge on outside runs.

2. I don't think it's really fair to compare Murray to Sims simply because we play a different style of football these days. Everybody knew Sims was getting the majority of carries the same way teams knew Earl Campbell was getting the ball when playing Texas. However, both teams also kept maximum blockers in to help lead the way. In today's game with OU, the offense is more spread out which takes defensive bodies out of the box. Give Murray a crease, and he is in the secondary immediately. I guess what I'm getting at is while today's RBs might have numbers that compare to backs from the "running" era, today's backs don't get the same hype a lot of times unless they enter the year as a Heisman candidate (Peterson). Especially if the team's QB is putting up some gaudy numbers as well.

I have never thought Murray as a great tailback. In fact he worries me more in the passing game than taking handoffs. He has lots of speed and can hurt you in space, but I don't worry about him in the running game. He does have straight line speed and if he beats you to the sideline your toast. In the games against Texas the last 3 years he has had a few longer runs but the most of his have been stopped around the line of scrimmage. In the 2007 youtube 'highlight' video he broke the one for 60 yds or so and not much else. In the 2008 game he wasn't a factor, except in the passing game early on. Last season neither team ran the ball well. I am saying against a good defense with speed he becomes less of a factor because he doesn't run well between the tackles and the speed can stretch him sideline to sideline. I thought Allen Patrick was a better back and there wasn't any comparison with Peterson.

DeMarco Murray is a barely above average running back in my opinion. He does have good straight line speed. He's fast, however, I don't know what it is about him he just gets stretched out to the perimeter against fast defenses and gets taken down at the line of scrimmage or behind it too often for me to worry too much about him if the ball is handed to him.

Now, one thing he is exceptional at and OU is good about doing with him is he catches the ball out of the backfield in the flats very well. When he catches the ball out there with a head of steam already built up and in space he is dangerous.

I think Allen Patrick was a much better running back than Murray is. I never have been a big DeMarco Murray fan. I have a friend who thinks Murray is pretty dang good and always has thought it much like Blackwell has.

I'd take Patrick or Brown before I took Murray to be my running back.

He had really big shoes to fill. The expectations were through the roof because Peterson set the bar so high. It's hard to come in and replace a guy like that, let alone live up to the standard that was set.

A lot of people thought he had Peterson-esque talent out of high school and that really isn't the case. That being said, the guy has some serious skills and most teams would love to have this guy on their team.

He's a no show in big games. BUST

I don't know about you, but I have always regarded OU-Texas as a big game...

2007 (his freshman year) was one of the few years that he was mostly healthy: 2007 Red River Rivalry

I look forward with anticipation to this year. Barring some freakish happenings (see last year) Murray should be healthy and our running attack will be much improved. Add a few running backs who have been waiting for their chance.... I can't wait!

Count me as one of the Sooner faithful with over-the-top expectations of Murray. I remember being pumped about him during recruiting, I feel like I've been patient through his injuries and our inconsistent line play, but now I'm ready for him to finally fulfill his destiny and live up to his potential.

For me, anything short of a 1,500-yard rushing season from him, with accompanying Heisman talk, will be a disappointment.

DeMarco Murray is a barely above average running back in my opinion. He does have good straight line speed. He's fast, however, I don't know what it is about him he just gets stretched out to the perimeter against fast defenses and gets taken down at the line of scrimmage or behind it too often for me to worry too much about him if the ball is handed to him.

Now, one thing he is exceptional at and OU is good about doing with him is he catches the ball out of the backfield in the flats very well. When he catches the ball out there with a head of steam already built up and in space he is dangerous.

I think Allen Patrick was a much better running back than Murray is. I never have been a big DeMarco Murray fan. I have a friend who thinks Murray is pretty dang good and always has thought it much like Blackwell has.

I'd take Patrick or Brown before I took Murray to be my running back.

He's a no show in big games. BUST

I agree with both of these. I have no respect for Murray as of right now. Hopefully, he will prove me wrong.

I have no respect for Murray as of right now.

How can you not respect Murray? Have you ever seen him give less than his best, or quit? I haven't. I HAVE seen him struggle through a lot of adversity, but that did not make me respect him any the less.

Oh, ye of little faith. DeMarco may disappoint me yet again, but I don't think it will be for lack of effort....

I think he's saying that he's never gonna give UT up or let UT down, and that he's never gonna run around and hurt UT.

That's hilarious Matthias!!!

I just snuck in the video for you guys to get "Rick rolled." If some of you guys don't know what that is, its an internet joke. You get people to open a link and they get the Rick Astley video or "Rick rolled." All in good fun.

That's hilarious Matthias!!!

I just snuck in the video for you guys to get "Rick rolled." If some of you guys don't know what that is, its an internet joke. You get people to open a link and they get the Rick Astley video or "Rick rolled." All in good fun.

O-O-K.... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Well, it's almost mid-season; maybe it's time to revisit this thread/subject. I'll take a final look at it at the end of the season - should be more definitive by then.

In the meantime, here is a link that allows some perspective as to DeMarco's talent as compared to other Sooner greats (and OU has had some great running backs over the years!).

Below, the cut-and-paste:

Senior running back DeMarco Murray just three TDs from breaking 41-year Oklahoma record.

Records were made to be broken, some sooner than others.

Take Jack Jacobs' record for instance. Known widely as Indian Jack, he averaged 47.8 yards on 31 punts back in 1940. Of the records that can be tracked, that 70-year-old mark is the oldest on the Oklahoma record books. Tress Way threatened it last season, but came up 2.1 yards short.

Jacobs' mark is one of five that is at least 60 years old and one of 10 that was set in 1969 or earlier that still finds its way into print in the OU Media Guide.

That brings us to DeMarco Murray.

Among the longest-standing records at OU, one of them is Steve Owens' mark for career touchdowns. By the time the big bull from Miami, Okla., finished his career in 1969, he had won the Heisman Trophy and crossed the goal line 57 times.

Murray, after finding the end zone twice himself against Texas, now has 55 touchdowns. If he can score three more, he will topple a standard that has stood for 41 years.

The list of players who have come and gone in those 41 years makes that quite an accomplishment. But it's not the end-all when it comes to breaking records.

There have been seven times when records of 50 or more years have been broken. Not surprisingly, the all-timer belongs to one Sam Bradford. He finished his career with a pass efficiency rating of 184.87, a figure that blew past Eddie Crowder's record of 165.94.

Crowder, who later coached at Colorado, set his record in 1952. He held the mark until 2009, 57 years.

Given the talent pool at a place like Oklahoma, holding a record for even five or six seasons is difficult. With acknowledgement to guys like Murray and Bradford, it's certainly worth a tip of the cap to Owens, Crowder and the like for staying on top of the mountain for so long.

OU Career Touchdowns TDs Lettered

1. Steve Owens___ 57__ 1967-1969

2. DeMarco Murray_ 55__ 2007-2010

3. Billy Sims______ 53__ 1975-1979

4. Quentin Griffin__ 51__ 1999-2002

5. Chris Brown____ 45___ 2006-2009

6. Joe Washington_ 43___ 1972-1975

7. Greg Pruitt_____ 41___ 1970-1972

7. Adrian Peterson_ 41___ 2004-2006

9. Clendon Thomas_37___ 1955-1957

9. George Thomas_ 37___ 1946-1949

Not too shabby for an "average" or "barely above-average" back...