A new rule this close to the start of the season...

sfacujackcat

I learned today that they just brought down a rule that will give football teams an extra timeout during each quarter. The timeout will be a shared timeout. It'll be kind of like the end of the quarter (go to the sideline for 3 minutes) and will be like a media timeout). It will occur around the middle of each quarter.

They will do it when the time is best right (change of possession, etc.) when a drive is not affected. It's not a team timeout. In other words, teams don't have 5 timeouts per half now. It'll be a media timeout and will be a shared timeout around the middle of each quarter.

They (not sure if it's the UIL or the officials association) passed it Tuesday, although there was nothing on the UIL website as of 5 p.m. I've heard they did it because the temperatures are so hot and it'll give the teams an extra short break.

What are your thoughts on this?

I learned today that they just brought down a rule that will give football teams an extra timeout during each quarter. The timeout will be a shared timeout. It'll be kind of like the end of the quarter (go to the sideline for 3 minutes) and will be like a media timeout). It will occur around the middle of each quarter.

They will do it when the time is best right (change of possession, etc.) when a drive is not affected. It's not a team timeout. In other words, teams don't have 5 timeouts per half now. It'll be a media timeout and will be a shared timeout around the middle of each quarter.

They (not sure if it's the UIL or the officials association) passed it Tuesday, although there was nothing on the UIL website as of 5 p.m. I've heard they did it because the temperatures are so hot and it'll give the teams an extra short break.

What are your thoughts on this?

If they do this after a turnover it's a terrible idea. If they do it after one team scores and before the kickoff that might not be as bad, but overall, I don't think I like it.

What I heard is in the last 3 mins of the qtr there will be an officials timeout to allow players to rehydrate. It is only for the first few weeks. They did this at a few LE games last year and it made no difference, most of the time a kid would catch a cramp and they would use this as the TO. I never saw them do it after a turnover and I would hope that doesn't happen this year either.

We will allow teams to go to the sidelines for water somewhere around the middle of each quarter. We will do it in a change of possesion. We will not stop or delay a drive so If its time and a turn over happens i wouldn't have a problem with that being the time that we do it. I just allow both teams to stay on sidelines for an extended time to allow players to hydrate. That wouldn't be unfair to either... We will be doing this at ALL games including subvarsity and Jr High the first two or three weeks. This is not a new rule we often do this when the heat is such an issue.

Hombre,

This is really not a new rule. TASO Officials have always been allowed a discretionary timeout due to the extreme heat for several years. It is nothing more than a safety time out and will most likely not be used once the extreme heat of this summer is gone from our Friday nights.

By the way Billeux - IF YOU DON"T SEE THE BALL...DON"T BLOW THE WHISTLE!!! I miss you guys & ya'll call a great game each week & have fun!

This is a great idea. It's hot out there brother. Brutally hot. Throw on some gear, step out on a turf field and things can get seriously scary in a hurry. Especially in the smaller classifications where you have lots of kids going both ways.

Take the break. Take as many breaks as the kids need. Don't be stupid. Keep the kids safe. :thumbsup:

This is a great idea. It's hot out there brother. Brutally hot. Throw on some gear, step out on a turf field and things can get seriously scary in a hurry. Especially in the smaller classifications where you have lots of kids going both ways.

Take the break. Take as many breaks as the kids need. Don't be stupid. Keep the kids safe. :thumbsup:

amen brother

Hombre,

This is really not a new rule. TASO Officials have always been allowed a discretionary timeout due to the extreme heat for several years. It is nothing more than a safety time out and will most likely not be used once the extreme heat of this summer is gone from our Friday nights.

By the way Billeux - IF YOU DON"T SEE THE BALL...DON"T BLOW THE WHISTLE!!! I miss you guys & ya'll call a great game each week & have fun!

Amen Brotha ...Been looking forward for this week since the horn sounded last year. we have a couple of games local this year if ya get a chance come by and see us.

This will benefit the lower classifications who have many, if not close to all, players going both ways. Obviously if you only play defense and force a turnover you're going to the sideline and drinking water while the offense is on the field.

We will allow teams to go to the sidelines for water somewhere around the middle of each quarter. We will do it in a change of possesion. We will not stop or delay a drive so If its time and a turn over happens i wouldn't have a problem with that being the time that we do it. I just allow both teams to stay on sidelines for an extended time to allow players to hydrate. That wouldn't be unfair to either... We will be doing this at ALL games including subvarsity and Jr High the first two or three weeks. This is not a new rule we often do this when the heat is such an issue.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Games in September used to be started at 8 pm. There was a reason for this but some forgot.

That extra 30 min gave the sun a little more time to get down. A little less heat. Sun would not be in the visitor's faces unless you are at Spring Hill and the Sun is in the home side faces.

This extra time out would probably benefit the officials more. We need to protect this extra weight and age so as to preserve the extra knowledge most of them have.

But would not benefit the larger 3A and up schools that are able to field completely different offense and defense teams, as much.

might as well cover the other rules that will cause questions and yelling at the refs:

No more wedge allowed on kicks... anytime three or more returners line up to block, it is a 15 yar penalty.... lined up means shoulder to shoulder on the same yard line

No more calling a time out to re-enter an injuried player back in for the next play. They must sit out one play....

This may be more for the officials over the athletes. The 1A/2A officials seem to be either fat or old lol.

Hey...what's wrong with being fat and old? I spent a lot of money to get fat and just because somebody decided to make the length of a year a lot shorter, well I got old a lot quicker! Besides, I like the old 'codgers calling the games. They tend to pay more attention to what is going on, because they stand still longer. LOL!! :cripple:

I second that!

safety of these kids should be the first and most important issue in any adults mind, whether it be a coach, an official, or parent.

Hey...what's wrong with being fat and old? I spent a lot of money to get fat and just because somebody decided to make the length of a year a lot shorter, well I got old a lot quicker! Besides, I like the old 'codgers calling the games. They tend to pay more attention to what is going on, because they stand still longer. LOL!! :cripple:

Amen Brotha--- Maybe someday I'll have my walker out there. I can put a basket on it to keep my flag and whistle in it.

I'm hearing the UIL sent a e-mail out yesterday saying that TASO was over stepping their bounds and that the TOs should not take place.

Looks like the you know what contest between TASO and the UIL continues.