KTRE Sports Unacceptable

axemm

Here is the thing about the little segment on the news that is given to sports. It is less than a third of the half hour given for the news program. There is not as much that can be covered in that time as avid sports fans would like. The sports networks don't carry local high school sports, and the little time the news guys get has to cover everything from pro, to college, and on down to anything special happening in peewee leagues.

I talked to Reid Kerr once about this, and he said that the worst thing about that small amount of time was the time constraint.

What amuses me is that people get upset about not hearing news coverage on something they already know about. I'm guilty of this too. When my team does something great, I want to hear it repeated on the sports segment of the news. Unfortunately they can't cover everything.

And if you think KTRE is unacceptable, have you listened to KYKX on Friday nights? It is like a vocal ad banner with sports scores and unrelated banter tossed in.

No lie to this thread. I personally think that CBS 19 does the best Job for sport segment.

Maybe it's because they give Longview more media than any other?

Let me clarify, They usually do a great job with Eric Sullivan but last Friday was horrendous with technical issues. I finally just gave up. I guess it was just one of those days.

Here is the thing about the little segment on the news that is given to sports. It is less than a third of the half hour given for the news program. There is not as much that can be covered in that time as avid sports fans would like. The sports networks don't carry local high school sports, and the little time the news guys get has to cover everything from pro, to college, and on down to anything special happening in peewee leagues.

I talked to Reid Kerr once about this, and he said that the worst thing about that small amount of time was the time constraint.

What amuses me is that people get upset about not hearing news coverage on something they already know about. I'm guilty of this too. When my team does something great, I want to hear it repeated on the sports segment of the news. Unfortunately they can't cover everything.

And if you think KTRE is unacceptable, have you listened to KYKX on Friday nights? It is like a vocal ad banner with sports scores and unrelated banter tossed in.

As Clynch once told me... he studied this region, he knew everyone here. He was passionate about making his time for Friday Night Madness a success. He actually knew what he talked about and it covered a little more detail.

I listened to the KYKX scoreboard show last friday night on the way home from the Pittsburg game...its the only scoreboard show i could find...wasnt that bad...but the ad plugs got old...getting as bad as NASCAR...they all went something like this...and from the Brookshires, Wal-Mart, Dodge, Pilgrim Pride, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, field...geez...

Hey at least you don't have to get your news from Shreveport like we do.

Try being in the news black hole known as Shelby County. At least some news stations know you exist. I do have to give it to Channel 6 though. They covered all 4 of our playoff games last year.

I listened to the KYKX scoreboard show last friday night on the way home from the Pittsburg game...its the only scoreboard show i could find...wasnt that bad...but the ad plugs got old...getting as bad as NASCAR...they all went something like this...and from the Brookshires, Wal-Mart, Dodge, Pilgrim Pride, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, field...geez...

Yeah I know what you mean. I got stuck listening to Harlan and Pigskin one night and after about 15 minutes found myself screaming at the radio " Just give us the scores and stop plugging all your stupid sponsors!!!!!!!"

Try being in the news black hole known as Shelby County. At least some news stations know you exist. I do have to give it to Channel 6 though. They covered all 4 of our playoff games last year.

could someone tell me who won the president,s race a couple years ago :sorcerer:

Amen on "Harlan and Pigskin"....they are very difficult to listen to...too many failed attempts at humor, too many plugs, more and more every year.....at 11 p.m. on Friday night all anyone wants is the dang score, not a sound bite saying, "This is Tim Russell, head caoch of the Harmony Eagles and I never listen to Harlan and Pigskin."---Come on man, thats an insult to the listeners!

Hang in there KTRE, it's a long season.

all i can say is Nick James is as good as there is. maybe you're watching the wrong program !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That dude is the worst ever, like someone said earlier he is all over the place, he cant evern get it right when its on paper right in front of him, last year I sent him an email trying to get him to do a story on center....dude was so lazy wanted me to get all the info for him....the does the thing and its 15 seconds long....I personally wont watch friday night madness or anything while he is there....need to bring back ryan peterson he was pretty good.....

I agree with you 100% Baron! The KYKX Friday Night Scoreboard Show is a complete joke to listen too, and for some odd reason, people seem to enjoy it, and I for one can't figure out why! If I am a person traveling from out of town and I just happen to be surfing the channels, and I come across this show, I am going to turn it to another radio station. They're too busy telling jokes to one another, and a majority of the people on that show can't even remember the names of the teams mascots that they are talking about. One person last year kept referring to the Harleton Wildcats as the "Harleton Indians", and of course, right down the road from Harleton is Avinger, and that is their mascot, not Harleton's. On top of that, I don't think Avinger even has a football team. icon5.gif