Gilmer- Gladewater

Buckeye1980

Gilmer- Gladewater  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Buckeyes
    • Bears

Congratulations to my old high school in playing such a great game against Gilmer!

Thanks to jahawks for posting the play by play on SDC last night - I was watching the Lee-Horn game in Mesquite last night.

When it came up about the skunk appearing on the home side - I nearly fell out of the bleachers!

I would have loved to have watched it live! Sounds like it could be one of the classic games people will talk about for years!

NOW - what kind of district is this one? WOW! Anyone's trophy to take!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Oldbuckeye#62,,,,,,, if you were trying to toss out the Tinkers Dang by having a couple of skunks deliver the load,,,,, dadgum it man,,, make sure they go to the right bleachers next time. That was the funniest thing I've seen in years. Skunk #1 was in the upper reserved seats either late 3rd qtr,,, or early 4th,,, not sure. I don't know how that one got corraled,,, but it went off pretty easily I think.

Then,,, Skunk #2 appeared on the scene. He was in the upper portion of the reserved seats but on the north end. Ok,,, so at that point, I'm thinkin' there were just some folks up there trying to get something stirred up,,,, just makin' a joke out of it. But then there was a lot of commotion,, lots of moving around,, a few screams here and there. Then there were about 15 or 20 folks all in a big circle. Most were standing on seats,, but all were looking at one spot under the bleacher seats. Things kinda stayed that way for a minute or so,,, then all of a sudden, about five women between them and myself, who was about ten or twelves rows below this commotion,,, started screaming and running in opposite directions. :chase:

At that point,, I asked my friend who was sitting beside me,,, "where is he"? And he said,,, (in a rather freaked out manner),,,, "RIGHT THERE" :w00t: ,,,,pointing a couple of rows above us. All of a sudden,,, I saw the little rascal,, waddling in between the row,,, then he dropped down another one,, then another,,, then I'll be doggoned if he didn't waddle right under my friends seat, right beside me. (we were both standing on the seats at this point,,, like little girls who had seen a mouse) It was a cool night, but I think I was sweatin' at that point. Well he drops down another couple of rows,, and then hear comes Rick Albritton, our Superintendent,,, with a "coat" no less trying to throw over the skunk.

There was a miss or three,, and by that time,, the skunk had made it to the bottom row,,, then back up a row or two,,, Super. A. right behind him,,, then up several more rows,,, and he made a bee line through the middle of the crowd, headed back to the south end of the reserved seats.

I don't know at what point he was captured by the lady mentioned in an earlier post. What I "do" know is that she is a much braver person than this old buckeye fan. :whome: (Standing in the seat like a woman,,, I oughta be ashamed) :wub: Let me be the first one to say, that a skunk smells 100 per cent worse up close and personal,,, than they do from afar. He wasn't big,,, but that little dude smelled "baaaaaaad",,,,,,, made me wanna puke. Anyway,,, we survived the skunks,,,, and we survived the Bear attack. We need fewer "critters" at these games,,, how bout armed guards surrounding the stadium,, with full gas masks,, and skunk and bear traps?? :rofl: That game almost got the best of me.

thats classic

thats classic

After we scored with 22.7 sec to go, and y'all kneed the ball we started seeing talk stands clear out and I was saying surely they aren't leaving this game!! Then I see everybody just standing at the top watching. I was wondering what happened guess a skunk is my answer lol sorry this takes away from the game a little bit though.

-GW can't run or pass the ball on gilmer's black flag defense

-GW can't stop gilmer, it will be a blowout by at least 20+

-Corey Davis won't go D1, gilmer will shut him down...

NONE of this happened because GW showed up and suprise the heck outta all them

gilmer people more than than that skunk did... Anybody still think Corey Davis won't go D1?

Cody, don't waste your breathe! The only "due" they are giving after last night's game, is to the skunk! We need to move on, cause Gilmer won't be the toughest team we face this year! On to Spring Hill who had a great game last night against Henderson!

-GW can't run or pass the ball on gilmer's black flag defense

-GW can't stop gilmer, it will be a blowout by at least 20+

-Corey Davis won't go D1, gilmer will shut him down...

NONE of this happened because GW showed up and suprise the heck outta all them

gilmer people more than than that skunk did... Anybody still think Corey Davis won't go D1?

Ok, all you Gladewater folks just need to calm down just a little bit. I read nearly all if not every single post on this thread this week,, and I "think" the only "Gilmer" (or more specific a true fan from Gilmer) poster that predicted a blowout,, was jackpots. And he's just a crusty old man who don't like it when the rest of our crowd stands up and cheers. He just say's what he does to get our opponents fans stirred up. Trust me,, he wasn't being arrogant,, he just likes to stir the pot. If there were "other" folks predicting a "blow out",,, then those folks were just unedjumacated dingalings,,, or they were just trying to stir the pot,,, toss out some smack talk,,, and rile up you Gladewater fans,,,,so please don't take it personal.

If any of ya'll ever read the posts between us and Daingerfield,,, you'll better understand how and why we say some of the things we do. There is nothing else to do in Gilmer most days,,, so we get on here and sling verbage, some rather inciting,,, some edgy,,, some provoking,,, simply trying to get a "rise" from the opposing Smoaky crowd. It's all in fun, trust me. We smack talk,,, we post unflattering pictures,,, and we have a good time. Nobody from either Gilmer or Daingerfield, takes offense to anything anybody else says. Some of the other teams we play, apparently don't find that amusing,, or they just don't know we're horsing around,,, and take things seriously.

As the official (or perhaps the self appointed) President of the Buckeye Nation,,,, let me apologize if any of our goofballs have stepped on any of your toes. LOL

Let me also say,,, that we have total respect for the Gladewater Bears team as a whole. Those kids came to Gilmer,, and were intent on spoiling our district winning streak. And they dadgum near did. With only 29 kids suited up,, I figured that the Gladewater kids would wear down late in the game,, and that Gilmer would have an advantage there. But that just didn't happen. I witnessed a Bears team drum up some vintage Bears "fire",,, that last night reminded me of days gone by. We have played some pretty doggone good teams so far this year,, and I can't think of a single team, that I would rate "over" the way the Bears played last night. Yes, Corey Davis had a great night,,, but he surely didn't do it single handedly. He had a lot of help. Gladewater did "not" do it with smoke and mirrors. They did not do it because of penalties,,, they didn't almost win the game because Gilmer turned the ball over five or six times,,,, they hung in there the whole game, slugging it out with the Buckeyes,,, toe to toe,, because they wanted to win at all costs. I salute you,,, Gladewater Bears,,, coaches,,, and fans,,, for just a good ole' countryfied football game. And I "hope" I don't see any Tatum fans come on here and say,,,"well your Gladewater Bears "ain't" Tatum's Eagles either." Because trust me,, the Bears played us just as hard, or maybe even a better game than Tatum did.

Had Gilmer lost the game last night,,,,, had Luke Turner not made it around end on the two point conversion,,,, I would still feel the same way this morning. This was a goodun',,,, just a great game, played by two teams full of kids that just would not quit. This game wasn't as big or important as our game last year with Cuero,,, but I think I hafta' rank it right up there with that game in terms of excitement. So to the kids of both teams,,, I salute you,, for a game filled with edge of your seat excitement,,, from beginning to end.

And why not? It was an emotional game!

I do not take exception with Gtown's praise, although to me it doesn't mean much when it is surrounded by criticism, & jabs at our boy's sportsmanship & abilities on the field. There were two teams on the field & both had their moments! Praise doesn't mean much when you hide it behind demeaning remarks! Maybe if you thought about what you were saying before you wrote it down, people wouldn't think y'all were so arrogant!

Yeah, it was a tough game, full of plenty of emotions, and yes, I'm sure there are plenty of sensitive fans in Bearland today. It's been a long time since they could come on smoaky.com, after a game with Gilmer, and not read negative comments because of how bad their team was, and how good Gilmer is. So when you talk about Gtown giving my "bears" a "little" praise, for the fight that they brought to "Big G", and that "da bears" played their "A" game, you will have to forgive us that we don't see the praise or humor in his or your statements!

forget what I said about the praise to you or your team..........if you can't take a little smack talk (all in fun) then what is the point in comming on here and posting and reading all the banter????? if "arrogance" is the way people preceive Gilmer fans, then so be it!!!!!!! I for one am proud of the way our boys play the game and would love to do the same about your team, however, if you don't want any pats on the back or atta boys..........then all I can say to you is........ glad you got to come to Gilmer, hope to see you back soon...........

Ok, all you Gladewater folks just need to calm down just a little bit. I read nearly all if not every single post on this thread this week,, and I "think" the only "Gilmer" (or more specific a true fan from Gilmer) poster that predicted a blowout,, was jackpots. And he's just a crusty old man who don't like it when the rest of our crowd stands up and cheers. He just say's what he does to get our opponents fans stirred up. Trust me,, he wasn't being arrogant,, he just likes to stir the pot. If there were "other" folks predicting a "blow out",,, then those folks were just unedjumacated dingalings,,, or they were just trying to stir the pot,,, toss out some smack talk,,, and rile up you Gladewater fans,,,,so please don't take it personal.

If any of ya'll ever read the posts between us and Daingerfield,,, you'll better understand how and why we say some of the things we do. There is nothing else to do in Gilmer most days,,, so we get on here and sling verbage, some rather inciting,,, some edgy,,, some provoking,,, simply trying to get a "rise" from the opposing Smoaky crowd. It's all in fun, trust me. We smack talk,,, we post unflattering pictures,,, and we have a good time. Nobody from either Gilmer or Daingerfield, takes offense to anything anybody else says. Some of the other teams we play, apparently don't find that amusing,, or they just don't know we're horsing around,,, and take things seriously.

As the official (or perhaps the self appointed) President of the Buckeye Nation,,,, let me apologize if any of our goofballs have stepped on any of your toes. LOL

Let me also say,,, that we have total respect for the Gladewater Bears team as a whole. Those kids came to Gilmer,, and were intent on spoiling our district winning streak. And they dadgum near did. With only 29 kids suited up,, I figured that the Gladewater kids would wear down late in the game,, and that Gilmer would have an advantage there. But that just didn't happen. I witnessed a Bears team drum up some vintage Bears "fire",,, that last night reminded me of days gone by. We have played some pretty doggone good teams so far this year,, and I can't think of a single team, that I would rate "over" the way the Bears played last night. Yes, Corey Davis had a great night,,, but he surely didn't do it single handedly. He had a lot of help. Gladewater did "not" do it with smoke and mirrors. They did not do it because of penalties,,, they didn't almost win the game because Gilmer turned the ball over five or six times,,,, they hung in there the whole game, slugging it out with the Buckeyes,,, toe to toe,, because they wanted to win at all costs. I salute you,,, Gladewater Bears,,, coaches,,, and fans,,, for just a good ole' countryfied football game. And I "hope" I don't see any Tatum fans come on here and say,,,"well your Gladewater Bears "ain't" Tatum's Eagles either." Because trust me,, the Bears played us just as hard, or maybe even a better game than Tatum did.

Had Gilmer lost the game last night,,,,, had Luke Turner not made it around end on the two point conversion,,,, I would still feel the same way this morning. This was a goodun',,,, just a great game, played by two teams full of kids that just would not quit. This game wasn't as big or important as our game last year with Cuero,,, but I think I hafta' rank it right up there with that game in terms of excitement. So to the kids of both teams,,, I salute you,, for a game filled with edge of your seat excitement,,, from beginning to end.

AOB, thanks for your comments! I do understand what you are trying to say, and I have read the Gilmer/Daingerfield threads. I have enjoyed them and laughed, but you have to understand that your rivalry with Daingerfield over the last 10 years is different from the Gilmer/Gladewater rivalry. As most would say, there is no rivalry when one team beats another 9 years in a row. And many of those wins were blowouts. Last night's game was the first Gilmer/Gladewater game in a long time that was actually enjoyed by both sides. I have seen many a game between these two schools & I can honestly say last nights was one of the best, win or lose.

I would have loved to come on here this morning, and talk about how great a game I witnessed last night. But that is hard when I read demeaning comments about my team. A team that I have followed all my life. As I said in an earlier post, it's hard to accept praise when it is surrounding by demeaning remarks. And it is hard to feel respected when a poster puts all your teams name in small letters but their own in capital letters. I know, such a small thing to get upset about, but we've had years of taking it on the chin from the Buckeyes and their fans. Don't get me wrong, there are several Gilmer posters that I respect, and I can take "smack talk" from, and then there are those that have no clue how they come across, or don't care for that matter. Those are the ones that ruin it for the rest.

Yes, I'm a little sensitive this morning, still hurting from last night. Really hadn't realized how much I wanted the Bears to win that game. If the Bears had won, people would say that it was just another win, what's the BIG deal! If they had followed Bear football as long as I have, or been a part of the last 9 years, they would realize just what a win last night would have meant to the Bear players, and their fans. So, please forgive us this morning if we can't laugh or deal with the smack talk. It wasn't just "another" game for us!

Thanks again for your comments. I always enjoy reading your post, whether we are playing y'all or not! Good luck to the Buckeyes the rest of the way. Y'all have an outstanding team and some fine young men!

Just out of curiosity. Why does the Gilmer Band and Dance Girl's sit on visitor side? I know there was a few comments made back and back between students, Gilmer students had little stuffed bears dragging them, twirling around as they walked by. My husband & I thought it was kinda cute, and chuckled. Do they always sit on the visitor side?

Nice to see GW getting some respect from

gilmer... I hope we both get into the playoffs hats off to gilmer they overcame mistakes and pulled out the win... Thanks for being honest my friend :notworthy:

Just out of curiosity. Why does the Gilmer Band and Dance Girl's sit on visitor side? I know there was a few comments made back and back between students, Gilmer students had little stuffed bears dragging them, twirling around as they walked by. My husband & I thought it was kinda cute, and chuckled. Do they always sit on the visitor side?

The Gilmer band sits in a separate grandstand on the visitors side to free up some seats for the home folks. That, and the fact the fans can hear them better than if they are seated across the field. I think we learned about the better sound part a few years ago when we played y'all in Gladewater and the G-bands sat next to each other, with Gilmer's band in the southernmost area of the home side. Toward the end of the game the two bands joined together and played a tune they both had in their repertoire. It fairly rocked, and our kids had a blast. I didn't make the game last year, they may have done the same thing then too for all I know.

Are you saying our kids were coming across in front of y'all with whatever props they had? They really should not come in front of the visitors. If they are, we need to address it.

Oh by the way, in case you didn't know, your Bear band is excellent! Kind of a throwback to the 70's when there were some really good military bands in the area, in particular, Longview and Atlanta. It is obvious and refreshing to see a band director who runs a tight ship like yours does. Discipline is not just for athletics. :texrangers:

Are you saying our kids were coming across in front of y'all with whatever props they had? They really should not come in front of the visitors. If they are, we need to address it.

The band & the drill team, were walking on the track in front us, not in the stands. It wasn't a issue for me, I was just wondering why they were on visitor side. Which I think is a very good idea. My husband says our band never plays, during the games. They do we just can't hear them, cause of the way they are positioned. The bears being drag'd wasn't a issue either. I think that was rather creative and funny.

Simple. Gilmer needed more room on the home side for all of our fans. And we can hear the Buckeye band much better with them on the other side.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm seems our favorite curmdugeon,,, pot stirrer deluxe,,, jackpots, got a bit of a suspension,,(2 days) for telling someone they,,,,, uhhhh,,,, "lacked intelligence". Ooooops,,,

He won't pout too long though,,, and he'll be back prognosticating a "blowout :coolball: "

I'm really starting to "worry" about that boy!!!! :no: His mama told him if he didn't straighten up there would be days like this.

I think you should start double-spacing your posts.

:thumbsup:

I know this thread is mostly dead, but I wanted to add how much I appreciated seeing a full house on the visitors side and seeing the enthusiasm the Bear fans had for their teams. From where I stood on the sidelines, it was really exciting when Jeff Rash would urge both sides to cheer on their team and hear the roar that erupted from both sides. Buckeye Stadium has not sounded like that since 2005 when Tatum rocked the house. (The match with Cuero was a little louder, but that was a crowd twice the size.)

Halftime estimates of the attendance in the press box were 6,000, with 3500 on the Buckeye side, 2000 on visitors side, and 500 standing around the grounds.

I thanked some Tatum fans for coming, telling them I knew they would have friends who would regret not having made the trip---there were actually some empty seats among the Eagles. You Bears filled every row. Great game, great support.