Your First Car.

reddmutt1898

My dad had two Jeep CJ-7's and one of them was a legend around town here. They said he had a snorkle on it and he could take it out on the water. We had a railroad track that was just so steep you couldn't walk up it and I remember dad climbing that thing like it was nothing! He would take it in the mud pits and tear up...lol. This was back in like 79 and people still talk about those Jeeps!

So when I got older, when I was working in law enforcement I got my first Jeep Wrangler. It was a red one that was a big 6 cylinder I think. I know pretty weak fo a Jeep but at the time it actually had some power to it. Well when I moved to Texas it sat over the winter here in Ohio and when mom started it up, it blew the engine. So we got Chrysler to put a new motor in it but they didn't clean the grease and oil out of the exhaust when they supposedly fixed it. So little by little the Jeep kept losing it's power to the point where I'd be driving up hill on my way to Tyler and it wouldn't hardly go 45! So I had to sale it to my mom and her husband. They found out about the exhaust and cut it off and then ended up trading it in. So a couple years later, I saw another Jeep with nice 4X4 rims and Vampire tires. It was red just like my first but this one was on steroids! Had the light bar and everything! So I bought that one and it had a snorkle on it just like my dad's second Jeep!! His Jeeps were yellow and mine were red. I just always thought that was funny how we both bought the same vehicles and I didn't even intend to honor him that way. I just always had a love for Jeeps in my heart sense I first rode in my daddy's Jeeps!

Thank you very, very much for reminding me of that!

Jeeps are monster off road cars, then and now

You guys are a riot!

Now, must be different for a girl; or shall I say, a father with nearly all girls...with a grandfather who was a mechanic...

I drove a tank. Dad must have known. THE GREEN MONSTER as we named it. Green Chrysler four-door with a black top. Have no idea what year it was, and it was a tank, and Dad told me if he ever saw that needle go over 55, he'd whip me worse than I'd ever been whupped - somehow I believed he would know that. Not to mention, since being the oldest, I was carting all the other 4 around EVERYWHERE!

However, Dad got a new 1 ton Dodge extended cab truck, was also green, but a lighter green. And once in a while, Dad would let me drive the Dodge. Now, that Dodge went through all sorts of things.

It had extended mirrors because during the summer, dad would put the camper on it... I can't tell you how many times I ran those mirrors into the gate backing out, or sometimes I swear, they'd just fall off while driving the road, and uh, how many times in Brookshire's parking lot on Hwy. 80 me and the sisters and friends would jump that little hill there, or uh, go on the old track at Spring Hill, or uh, jump culverts if we were running from older boys that were trying to scare the beegeebies out of us...not to mention, how many times Dad asked how come the seat and floors were wet... well, Dad, it's like this... one of the water balloons busted in the truck... or so and so threw water balloons at us.

I don't think my sister and I ever fessed up to exactly why the seat mover back and forward was broke permanently in one position...LOL!

Course Dad couldn't say too much... if we went rolling houses, guess who was driving... LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest cincyfan

1973 Chevy Monte Carlo Midnight metallic blue with a white top...8 track tape deck, cold air and it drove like a dream.....I got many, many, many speeding tickets in it with great glee since my cousin was/still is a county justice of the peace! My last ticket, tho, was for going 105 in a 55 mph zone. LOL!....that slowed me down. I almost went to jail for that one.Probably should have lol..haven't had a speeding ticket since 1988. (fingers crossed)

• 2 weeks later...

1966 CHeverolet Stepside Pickup. 283cu/in bored 30 over, Modified cam, Holy 750 dual line on an edlebrock high rise intake, Munsy 4 speed trans with a 411 rear end, 12 inch glass packs. It was "Fast and Loud"! I miss that old truck. Of course with gas as high as it is now it would not be a daily driver. 8-10 miles to the gallon would #### now.

• 6 months later...

1966 Chevy Nova, slant 6....No Power. I paid $500 for the car, bought it from my grandmother. She was going to give it to me but my mother made me get a job and pay for it. I worked at Stuckeys on the weekend and made 17 dollars take home. I paid $10 a week for the car. Gasoline at the time was 28 cents a gallon and a fillup cost about 4 dollars, that would last all week and then some. I still had three dollars left over....I was in high cotton:)

• LOL! 1

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure Dave, but if Kirt & Colmes can kick the can back & forth forever, there's no reason this game's gotta end!......

Doing right ain't got no end! That 1964 Fury had push button automatic transmission. When you floored it at 45 mph, it would kick down in first, roar like a beast from h-ll, and haul aS$. It would go into second until you passed 80. When drag racing, I rarely bother shifting to Drive. Would do 120 in second. Did go thru gas, but at 19.9 cents a gallon, wasn't a big problem.

My first car ... 59 Chevy Impala

327 standard shift on the column

looked like this one ....

Chevrolet_Impala_1959_2.jpg

My first new car I bought my senior year in high school

'73 Mustang Mach I

351 Cleveland

Came with 4 barrel carb ... tried two 4 barrels .... switched to 3 deuces

Last of the "Big Mustangs"

73_Mach1_Pic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bet that mustang would grab a root and growl.

'73 Mustang Mach I

351 Cleveland

73_Mach1_Pic.jpg

• 4 months later...

I bet that mustang would grab a root and growl.

'73 Mustang Mach I

351 Cleveland

73_Mach1_Pic.jpg

I paid $4,056 for that Mustang! ..... drove it off the showroom floor ...

87 ford tempo... Had an oil leak and bad spark plug wires. I paid $1 plus the transfer fees $20 to get it though ;)

I thought we had done this many years before, but I'll repost after seeing this. I think the statute of limitations is up, but in 1985 my brother gave me his 1976 Celica GT. I did have to pay for the trip to Cincinnati, and had a garage sale to raise most of the funds to go. Sold my record collection at that time, sort of wish I hadn't, but it brought in close to $500. Came back to Longview, and only had to pay a $10 transfer of title fee plus tags. I think the tags were $35 at the time.

The first car I bought was a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe with a 305 engine for $9500 in November of 1988. It was basically brand new with only 3500 something miles on it. My insurance payments were $9 more than the car payments at $259 a month. I loved both cars, and this is what she looked like : https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-1987-Chevrolet-Camaro-c3647#listing=156582241 . Almost 30 years later it's only decreased in value by $2800, but mine was a 305 V8.