Death at the LE vs. PG game

Topcat

Until I read this I had no idea it was Topcat. I am absolutely speechless. We had a lot of fun on here going back and forth with other fans from other teams. He and I had spoke several times on PM's and I thoroughly enjoyed his insight and Leopard pride. There were not too many others on the smoakhouse forums that loved his team like he did. Daniel there are no words that can even come close to making things better. Just know that he and all of your family is in our prayers. Now the Leopards have one extra angel up there to help us get the wins. I will miss him on here a lot. All of the Leopard fans on here will miss him so much. Such a tragedy to happen to a person doing something that he loved doing. Bless your house, bless your family, and bless God's newest Angel. We are so very sorry for the loss

PG, L-E districts working together to help accident witnesses

By: Marie Martin - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 10/19/2010

Pleasant Grove and Liberty-Eylau school districts are working together to help students who witnessed an after-game accident that left an L-E parent dead. Both are providing extra counseling for students who were at the game.

PGISD Superintendent Margaret Davis said her district is reviewing its safety practices and may consider some changes after Friday’s accident. She said the district has contacted the highway department, which has jurisdiction over the road, to discuss improving after-game safety. Davis said the district does not advise people to park across the street at Morriss Elementary or any of the other private properties across the street from Hawk Stadium.

“We don’t have parking across the street. We are not directing people across the street,” Davis said, adding the accident took place after the game and after much of the crowd had dispersed.

“We encourage people to be very cautious as they cross a state highway,” Davis said.

Carl Hines, 43, was hit by a vehicle when he crossed McKnight Road, police report. Hines was parked on the Pleasant Grove side but helped walk someone across the street who was parked at Morriss. There was no one stationed on McKnight to assist people crossing the street. The identity of the driver has not been released.

Davis said McKnight Road is a Farm to Market road and controlled by the state.

“We are limited in what we can control,” Davis said, adding that PGISD staff was on the high school campus overseeing the crowd and parking only on its property.

L-EISD Superintendent Nick Blain said the lighting in the area is limited.

“It’s a darkly lit street,” he said.

Blain said L-E police officers were on the visitors side during the game to help with security but left after the game was over.

“They have some remorse,” Blain said about security not noticing the need for more assistance on McKnight Road.

He said there could have been more assistance with those crossing the street “but it would not have guaranteed there would be no accident. It was a freak accident.”

Blain said he hopes the city and county officials will look into placing more street lights on the corner where University Avenue joins McKnight and Pleasant Grove roads.

Davis agrees. She said the area has changed dramatically since University Avenue has been developed. She said traffic has increased and more and more people are using the back road to McKnight to avoid Richmond Road construction.

Blain and Davis sympathize with the family of the victim and the driver.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the families involved,” Davis said.

Blain said he wants to look forward and not backward to help the families and students who are grieving.

May God comfort you and your family during this most difficult time. I think that the power of prayer will be evident in the coming days and just from this site alone, your father's memory will not pass. From our family in Royse City to yours, please accept our most sincere condolences.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your families loss. I always enjoyed reading his posts. And I'm sure he will be missed on here as well as I am sure he will be missed by his friends and family. God bless you guys,, and I pray your sister will make a quick recovery. I'm sure it was traumatic for her especially. Put your faith solely on the Lord,, and He'll get you through it,, in time.

This was from the game thread...

Anyways it should be an enjoyable game for the visitor side and hopefully PG will walk away injury free and live to play another week. j/k

Good luck to the Hawks but hopefully just a little better luck for LE... either way I think both make the playoffs.

ThumbsUpSmiley2.jpg

This is the kind of class we should all have.

When I read this, I choked up.

I really enjoyed the banter we shared as the game approached. He set the example of how to love and cheer for your team, get in a ribbing of the opponent, but without offending. He, as many at LE have shown, win and lose with grace.

I hope our Father comforts you in the loss of yours.

God bless.

PG, L-E districts working together to help accident witnesses

By: Marie Martin - Texarkana Gazette - Published: 10/19/2010

Pleasant Grove and Liberty-Eylau school districts are working together to help students who witnessed an after-game accident that left an L-E parent dead. Both are providing extra counseling for students who were at the game.

PGISD Superintendent Margaret Davis said her district is reviewing its safety practices and may consider some changes after Friday's accident. She said the district has contacted the highway department, which has jurisdiction over the road, to discuss improving after-game safety. Davis said the district does not advise people to park across the street at Morriss Elementary or any of the other private properties across the street from Hawk Stadium.

"We don't have parking across the street. We are not directing people across the street," Davis said, adding the accident took place after the game and after much of the crowd had dispersed.

"We encourage people to be very cautious as they cross a state highway," Davis said.

Carl Hines, 43, was hit by a vehicle when he crossed McKnight Road, police report. Hines was parked on the Pleasant Grove side but helped walk someone across the street who was parked at Morriss. There was no one stationed on McKnight to assist people crossing the street. The identity of the driver has not been released.

Davis said McKnight Road is a Farm to Market road and controlled by the state.

"We are limited in what we can control," Davis said, adding that PGISD staff was on the high school campus overseeing the crowd and parking only on its property.

L-EISD Superintendent Nick Blain said the lighting in the area is limited.

"It's a darkly lit street," he said.

Blain said L-E police officers were on the visitors side during the game to help with security but left after the game was over.

"They have some remorse," Blain said about security not noticing the need for more assistance on McKnight Road.

He said there could have been more assistance with those crossing the street "but it would not have guaranteed there would be no accident. It was a freak accident."

Blain said he hopes the city and county officials will look into placing more street lights on the corner where University Avenue joins McKnight and Pleasant Grove roads.

Davis agrees. She said the area has changed dramatically since University Avenue has been developed. She said traffic has increased and more and more people are using the back road to McKnight to avoid Richmond Road construction.

Blain and Davis sympathize with the family of the victim and the driver.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the families involved," Davis said.

Blain said he wants to look forward and not backward to help the families and students who are grieving.

This is his son once again. And i would like to say with all due respect margaret davis isnt right. They were waved into that parking lot with flashlights by "PG SCHOOL OFFICIALS" whether she condoned it or not.

This is his son once again. And i would like to say with all due respect margaret davis isnt right. They were waved into that parking lot with flashlights by "PG SCHOOL OFFICIALS" whether she condoned it or not.

Son I understand you are angry and maybe rightfully so. But do not let anger and bitterness get in your heart. It will not bring back what you have lost. God does things in his own time. He had a purpose for your Dad. I believe this to be true. Take care of your family, make him proud because you will see him again one day. Its not a promise you have assurance!!!!!

I will keep you in my prayers!

Your Dad was so obviously proud of you! Wrap your arms around your sister, comfort each other, and see each other through the hard days ahead. Make the world a better place and continue to make your Father proud of the man you will become. I wish Peace and Comfort for the both of you! Know that you have prayers and support from all over East Texas and everyone feels deep feelings of sadness for your loss. Having lost my own Dad there are just no words to make things seem better right now.