The Official Cliff Lee Thread

FriscoFan

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pigskincrazy

Not sure if it is possible in the baseball world.... But what about the likes of Young and Hamilton re-structuring contracts to make more money available for Lee.......

I'd let Young go if thats what it was gonna take to keep Lee

I don't think I'd let Micheal Young go. Yes, he makes $13 million a year, but I'd look into other ways to find some xtra cash first before making such a drastic cut. Example: Darren Oliver. He hasn't done anything this year to command his $3 million salary. What about Jeff Francoeur? He's making $5 million and Nellie Cruz is still at $400,000. Vlad Guerrero is at $5.5 million, do we resign him for another year? J Hamilton is a FA I "think". How much will it take to resign him? I think you start with Lee being your #1 free agent. The Yankees will no doubt make him an offer in the $20-$25 million a year range. Can or WILL the Ranger's come up with a better deal? Will they do what it takes to resign him and then have enough to resign Josh Hamilton and others? I heard today on the radio, C Lee's wife talking about how much he likes it in Tx and being able to go home (They live in ARK) for stretches. He's never been able to do that before, and won't be able to if in NY or Boston or even Philly.

Not a chance. Even if he thought about that, his agent would never let that happen. He will go to the highest bidder, guaranteed.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, the Yankees will offer him a huge contract, but look at the other varibles.

1) The Ranger's (hopefully) beat the Yankees in the ALCS.

2) Texas has no state income tax. NY does.

3) Tx is closer to his home

4) His wife said he loves it here, etc.

I DO believe it will come down to money, it always does. However, if the Ranger's can keep this thing going, and get somewhere in the neighborhood of the Yankees offer, then these other factors could help in our favor.

Hard to let a HOFamer like Young go but that might be the only way to keep Lee. I would rather keep Lee, Hamilton, and Nelly at this point in their career over Young. Man thats hard to say though. Oliver is guaranteed that 3mill. so they will have to keep him. Lee is the type of guy that could tell NY no... I hope

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, the Yankees will offer him a huge contract, but look at the other varibles.

1) The Ranger's (hopefully) beat the Yankees in the ALCS.

2) Texas has no state income tax. NY does.

3) Tx is closer to his home

4) His wife said he loves it here, etc.

I DO believe it will come down to money, it always does. However, if the Ranger's can keep this thing going, and get somewhere in the neighborhood of the Yankees offer, then these other factors could help in our favor.

Remember Tori Hunter. He actually lives in the DFW area and the Rangers were competitive with an offer to him but he chose more money to play in California, the second most expensive place to live in the U.S. I might be wrong but I bet you can count on one hand the guys in any sport who have taken less money to stay in an area they like. I hope they can keep him but I am not going to hold my breath. Of course I never thought they could get him to start with either.

I'd give him 50 million over 3 years with performance options that could kick it up 10 million/yr with an ERA under 3.00 and 20 starts/yr.

We get him cheaper up front, but pay more if he performs. The Rangers have a long history of paying too much and getting too little.

Hard to let a HOFamer like Young go but that might be the only way to keep Lee. I would rather keep Lee, Hamilton, and Nelly at this point in their career over Young. Man thats hard to say though. Oliver is guaranteed that 3mill. so they will have to keep him. Lee is the type of guy that could tell NY no... I hope

Was Oliver's contract 2 years? I thought it was a one year deal for this year only? Christian Guzman is another that shouldnt be brought back as well. Like someone said earlier, maybe M Young would be willing to restructure his contract if needed. I think there are really only 2 questions to debate.

1) Do (will) the Ranger's HAVE the funds to sign Cliff Lee and Hamilton, others?

2) Will the success of this year, carry over to the off season to where Lee resigns, and other notable FA, who have spurned the Ranger's in the past, take a chance and sign on with a winner?

Was Oliver's contract 2 years? I thought it was a one year deal for this year only? Christian Guzman is another that shouldnt be brought back as well. Like someone said earlier, maybe M Young would be willing to restructure his contract if needed. I think there are really only 2 questions to debate.

1) Do (will) the Ranger's HAVE the funds to sign Cliff Lee and Hamilton, others?

2) Will the success of this year, carry over to the off season to where Lee resigns, and other notable FA, who have spurned the Ranger's in the past, take a chance and sign on with a winner?

Think he's a free agent when the season ends.

1) I was kinda under the impression that our payroll would increase. Think we are around $40-50 million. Greenberg I thought said it could be up in the $80 million range.

2) Lee shows potential free agents what can be expected in Arlington now. Yeah its hot in the summer. I think money & winning can help cool it down some.

I saw Nolan on the phone right after the thumping of the Yankees last night. I thought to myself that he's probably on the phone to Greenberg saying "exactly HOW MUCH money do you and your people have? I'm gonna need those figures pretty quick Hank, I have to get to work on Cliff's new contract ASAP."

Yes, the Rangers should open the wallet for Cliff, but no way to tell if it will be enough. The Yankees will also bring there open checkbook, and probably the Red Sox will offer something real nice too. Gonna be a busy and stressful offseason after we win the World Series. :)

I think Josh is scheduled to for free agency this year too. Gonna get REAL EXPENSIVE REAL QUICK.

My understanding after 81 complete inn. his contract automatically renewed for 3 mill next season with a bonus for performance as well. I could be wrong but this is the way they explained it when he completed that inning this year.

Well if that is the case - he lost his contract rights in my opinion. Because of his pathetic pitching (in my opinion), the Rangers lost the 1st game!

Well if that is the case - he lost his contract rights in my opinion. Because of his pathetic pitching (in my opinion), the Rangers lost the 1st game!

I agree. He does'nt deserve that 3 million if you ask me. Thats just too much for a 40+ middle reliever who has'nt done a very good job this year. He's making that much pitching ever so often, while Andrus and Cruz are making $400,000 each and playing pretty much everyday. I know Cruz has been hurt off and on, but still. Maybe he could be part of a trade? lol