The Official Cliff Lee Thread

FriscoFan

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Lee will realise money doesn't buy championships, sure the Yankees have won lots, but they got beat by the Rangers this year, no... they got stomped, and in New York.

But the Rangers still have no championships...

Lee will sign with the Yankees.

NEW YORK -- The Yankees called Cliff Lee's agent Sunday on the first day of the free-agent negotiating period to say they will be back in touch with an offer for the top pitcher on the market, a baseball official familiar with the conversation told The Associated Press.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the team didn't announce the contact with agent Darek Braunecker.

5353.jpg Lee Texas hopes to re-sign the 2008 AL Cy Young Award winner, who led the Rangers to their first World Series after he was acquired from Seattle in July. The Yankees have made signing Lee the top priority among free agents, in addition to re-signing their own players.

Lee, a 32-year-old left-hander, was a combined 12-9 with a 3.18 ERA for the Mariners and Rangers, striking out 185 and walking 18 in 212 1/3 innings. He was 7-0 with a 1.26 ERA in eight career postseason starts before losing to San Francisco in Games 1 and 5 of the World Series.

New York also hopes to re-sign shortstop Derek Jeter, closer Mariano Rivera and pitcher Andy Pettitte, who hasn't decided whether to play next season or retire.

In the first deal among the 166 players who became free agents after the World Series, shortstop Jhonny Peralta reached an agreement with Detroit on an $11.25 million, two-year contract, a person familiar with that deal said, also on condition of anonymity because it wasn't announced.

Detroit declined his $7.25 million option Tuesday, opting to pay a $250,000 buyout, but Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said then the team was optimistic about reaching a new agreement.

Acquired from Cleveland in July, Peralta was shifted from third base to shortstop by Detroit and hit .253 with eight home runs in 57 games with the Tigers.

ESPNdeportes.com reported earlier that the sides were approaching a deal.

Other free agents include outfielders Carl Crawford, Jayson Werth and Magglio Ordonez; first basemen Carlos Pena and Paul Konerko; catcher Victor Martinez; designated hitter Hideki Matsui and closer Rafael Soriano.

And this.....is exactly why I HATE the New York Yankees.

Can't really hate them. They are doing the perfectly legal and normal thing to do when you have a bottomless pit for money and the desire to spend it for the bettering of their team. Still as history has proved and will prove again that just spending money will not promise you the World Series trophy.

(Let's Geaux Tigers !!)

Can't really hate them. They are doing the perfectly legal and normal thing to do when you have a bottomless pit for money and the desire to spend it for the bettering of their team. Still as history has proved and will prove again that just spending money will not promise you the World Series trophy.

(Let's Geaux Tigers !!)

You are right, but still, its frustrating to see a team with that much stroke.

The Yankees have won 27 titles and are going to be in this "Cliff Lee Derby" all the way. The Rangers went to see Lee yesterday and talked. This will be a long process but it it looks like the line is forming quickly here. Rangers can stay in this fight and I hope they do.

Not many folks here in DFW expect Cliff Lee to return, hopeful, but doubtful. Nolan has already said if its just about money, Lee will go to the Yankees, but the Rangers will try and sell Lee and his family on more that. I was thinking earlier it was 60-40 he would return to the Ranger's, but now Im honestly thinking it's about 80-20 in favor of the Yankees. Hope I'm wrong, but Nolan DID say they have a plan B in case Lee decides to venture North. At least the Ranger's are preparing...... they have a budget, and won't go out of budget to sign Lee. They don't want another ARod contract handicapping their payroll for the future. Besides, if Cliff Lee is in this game just for the money, then let him go. The Ranger's are a TEAM. We'll see....... :texrangers:

Not many folks here in DFW expect Cliff Lee to return, hopeful, but doubtful. Nolan has already said if its just about money, Lee will go to the Yankees, but the Rangers will try and sell Lee and his family on more that. I was thinking earlier it was 60-40 he would return to the Ranger's, but now Im honestly thinking it's about 80-20 in favor of the Yankees. Hope I'm wrong, but Nolan DID say they have a plan B in case Lee decides to venture North. At least the Ranger's are preparing...... they have a budget, and won't go out of budget to sign Lee. They don't want another ARod contract handicapping their payroll for the future. Besides, if Cliff Lee is in this game just for the money, then let him go. The Ranger's are a TEAM. We'll see....... :texrangers:

Sad thing is they are only a team until their contracts are up. Most players bolt for the money. Not many Kirby Pucketts out there.

Rumor is Yankees will go 5yrs@120mil

I heard the same. Anywhere from $115-$120 million for 5 years. Also, the Ranger's were reported as saying they are determined to match the Yankees offer. That $24 million STILL is within the Ranger's reported budget for next year, in which they said would be around $95 million. It would also still give them around $25 million to give to other players. Gonna be interesting for sure. They KNEW going in this, it would take about $25 million to sign Lee. Now, the question is, if the Yanks DO offer that and the Ranger's match, how high are the Yankees willing to go? If both teams offer the same amount, the Ranger's deal is the best simply because of the taxes. However, Lee "could" just be determined to play for the Yankees and his good friend Sabathia. Stay tuned.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may very well be, but it seems like I read somewhere back during the playoffs that players like Jeter get around the state income tax because they have a Florida address and list New York only as their place of work. That way he gets around paying the state income tax.