The Official Cliff Lee Thread

FriscoFan

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. He's a good player, but I'm not ready to declare him a HOFer just yet. Not sure he has put up HOF stats over his whole career and he is in decline at this point.

I dont know Falcon you may be right... But he has played several infield positions well and he is a class act on and off the field. I know the second part doesnt give you many points when it comes to voting but a WS to go along with his All Star appearances could get him in. I hope.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what you have to do within reason to keep Lee, Keep Young where he is at (Face of the frachise) and focus the rest on Andrews (next yr i think) give Cruz a respectable offer, if he doesnt bite it then you have Murphy to fill the void except the rocket launcher arm. Hamilton will be here as well with a decent offer IMO because of the teamates and atmosphere. I hope they have the resources to keep these guys together for a few more years. Gonna be fun to watch. :texrangers:

First of all, the Rangers are going to have to decide if they're going to try and keep Hamilton or Lee.

It's no secret Lee doesn't want to be in Texas. That was pretty well known when he was traded.

OBTS, if you think $50 over three years is going to keep him, it ain't happening.

First of all, the Rangers are going to have to decide if they're going to try and keep Hamilton or Lee.

It's no secret Lee doesn't want to be in Texas. That was pretty well known when he was traded.

OBTS, if you think $50 over three years is going to keep him, it ain't happening.

Things change...and the fact that his wife opened up and basically endorsed Texas, that will have an effect. He has grown to fit in quite nicely here. I wouldn't put money on him staying here, but I like our chances a lot more now than I did when was initially traded here.

While I would love to keep him here, you don't pull an A-Rod and break the bank for him at the sacrifice of other players and needs. If we have the ability to sign him and do the other things we need to do, do it. If not, let him go and take that money and improve your team in other ways. Although Molina has performed well in the playoffs, we will need a catcher who can hit next year. Who knows what will happen with Vlad. We should be able to keep Josh but there is no guarantee.

There will be other pitchers if Cliff can't be had, and others down the road in addition to our home grown talent, which is still intact for the most part. If King Felix becomes available via free agency or trade, make a run at him. His numbers are incredible if you count the fact that in nearly all his losses the Mariners scored 1 or 0 runs. It is very possible that he will command more money than Cliff.

couple weeks before the playoffs started cliff was doing an interview with somebody cant remember and they asked him where he planned to go after the season was over and although he danced around the question for obvious reasons he did say that he hoped the rangers won the W.S. and made his descion easier.....i wouldnt put much into that but who doesnt want to pitch for a W.S. defending team so maybe him returning depends on how the rangers do...and as for his wife im sure her mind would change real quick with an extra 5-10 million dollars more a year in the ol banking account she wouldnt even be able to find texas on the map anymore if the yankees offered that much more

• 2 weeks later...

We know the Rangers stole Lee out from under the Yankees this year, but will we be able to hold onto him now?

Does he want to be a Ranger next season?

Can we afford him?

Will money be the deciding factor or being closer to home keep him in Texas?

What do y'all think?

Who knows at this point? I would lOVE to see him resigned to a multi year deal. He said he would love to be back, but it always seems to come down to money. Nobody can match the offer the Yanks will certainly present, but HOPEFULLY, if the Ranger's can get close, maybe he will stay. RIGHT NOW, I say he goes to NY. Stay tuned....

Water under the bridge but he could have pitched game 4

and the regular right fielder started game one.

Are you talking about Guerrero playing right? If so, I agree, but they didnt know he would hit.090 for the series. Cliff Lee lost that game, not Vlad playing rf.

Who knows at this point? I would lOVE to see him resigned to a multi year deal. He said he would love to be back, but it always seems to come down to money. Nobody can match the offer the Yanks will certainly present, but HOPEFULLY, if the Ranger's can get close, maybe he will stay. RIGHT NOW, I say he goes to NY. Stay tuned....

uh huh.. :thumbsup:

I would love to have him, but you can't break the bank at the expense of being able to sign your other FAs and finding a catcher who can hit and run after he hits it.

Another factor in Texas' favor is we have no state income tax. It was said on this subject the other day that $90 million in Texas would have to be $104 million in NY to be equal in bring-home money.

Sign him if you can, if not push to find this out as quickly as possible so you can focus your money on other players.

Hopefully Lee will realise money doesn't buy championships, sure the Yankees have won lots, but they got beat by the Rangers this year, no... they got stomped, and in New York. No matter where he goes he will be getting a great sum of money, would be nice to see him back in Texas, wouldn't be surprising to see him in New York. We can only hope that he will stay in Texas though! They mave have lost the series, but this was a major accomplishment and something strong to build off of, they just need some fine tuning in the bullpen and this next season might play out well, especially if Lee signs a multi-year deal! :coolball:

I also wouldn't be surprised if he moves to New York.

I would be. I read an article where Lee's wife was complaining about the Yankees fan's heckling her and throwing food and drinks at her in New York. And as we all know...IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY, AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY!!

Didnt Molina say that the fans were all over Lee while he was warming in the pen before game 5 of the ALCS, and that Lee was getting back on them too?

Yes, and his wife was spat on, had beer and food thrown her as well. I believe all the Ranger wifes did that sat in that section. Lee actually downplayed the incident, saying "Thats NY fans, very passionate" and "It was just a couple of drunk fans, thats part of it". Not sure if he was just saying that because he's a FA or he ment it. His wife later dismissed it as well. She says she loves NY and always will. Stayed tuned...