Snubbed at coin toss, inspired North Crowley upset Ryan Mallett and Texas High

Coach Rab

I'm pretty sure that if I were refereeing that game, there would be a handshake or there would be a long "talk" about sportsmanship, leadership, and the values of sports. It would be much easier for the players to just shake hands than to listen to me for 15 minutes. I might even tell them that they wouldn't see the coin come out of my pocket until they did.

Nothing like starting a game off on the wrong foot.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if I were refereeing that game, there would be a handshake or there would be a long "talk" about sportsmanship, leadership, and the values of sports. It would be much easier for the players to just shake hands than to listen to me for 15 minutes. I might even tell them that they wouldn't see the coin come out of my pocket until they did.

Nothing like starting a game off on the wrong foot.

great post.....agree whole-heartedly!!!!!!!

Texas High lost their starting QB right before leaving town for Texas stadium. The story of the game was that fact plus poor special teams play by Texas High.....2 punts were blocked if memory serves me correct and lastly near the end of the game DE Chris Brown picked up a NC fumble with open field but someone from NC reached a hand out and made a shoe string tackle just as Brown was about to break free and return the fumble for a TD. Brown had speed to burn and no one would have caught him. That is the game in a nut shell. Someone is just trying to make a name for themselves by dropping Mallett's name. Try again.

anybody at all suspicious of this article written 7 years after the fact ???

and featuring quotes by N Crowley players & NONE by a Texas High player or coach. Welcome to modern "journalism"

Heck, the gazette can't get facts right from last week much less 7 years ago.

They just used mallet's name to give the game credibility. otherwise nobody would have remembered who was playing. You know how the public loves those David vs. Goliath stories.

I just want to know one thing......does anyone have a tape recording of the Texas High kids saying these things ?????? If not, then watch what you say!!!!!!!

Yes, I do and the ugliest part is left out of the story and that would be them yelling F...You...North Crowley...F...You. The reason Panfil said they looked at the refs was because they couldn't believe they didn't say anything to them for showing bad sportsmanship and especially for saying that. You are naive to think stuff like that doesn't go on. Have you ever spent time around kids? Most of the players (NC) have the tape from that game and the coin toss is included. There is also a radio recording (master tape) of pregame and the game. Texas High picked the wrong guys to disrespect that night. I'm pretty sure the coach from Texas High didn't know or condone what they did because coaches know that kind of stuff just fires up the other team and shows no class. What relevance....? It's history and a fact and we can all learn from it. North Crowley was a Cinderella Team and it is still a great story. Those boys were the face of America..(all different backgrounds, etc).and they had each other's back on and off the field. One for all and all for one. So much so, they were called the BAND OF BROTHERS. The amazing thing is they are still close. It's not so much what Texas High did, it's about what North Crowley did. As far as the QB situation. North Crowley was on their second QB, too. They lost their first stringer to a complex fracture of the leg during the last regular season game...and converted a running back. Another amazing thing about that team, was that a lot of them played both ways. People who can't accept/face the facts need to man up and go on. I really enjoyed reading about it and it was a great moment in high school sports. Oh, and buddy ....I do have the tape of it.

Lets bring another angle in on this and I know this is gonna ruffle some officials feathers

Officials should have flagged them right there to start the game and possibly ejected someone

These officials should have been reported for allowing that type of behavior to go on

but therein lies another problem to who?

That goes back to many people saying accountability for officials

Lets bring another angle in on this and I know this is gonna ruffle some officials feathers

Officials should have flagged them right there to start the game and possibly ejected someone

These officials should have been reported for allowing that type of behavior to go on

but therein lies another problem to who?

That goes back to many people saying accountability for officials

Coaches and players curse every Friday night on the field. Rarely do they have the stones to call it unless players are getting close to fighting.

There was a story going around at the time of this game (well, the aftermath), that this "random" search of the QB's car was supposedly in retribution for how the chief of the TISD police force had been "dissed" on the field the week prior. Anyone hear any version of this story?

What's the Chief of Police doing on the field??? Hope that QB has got it together and is living a good life now. My hopes and prayers are with him.

Coaches and players curse every Friday night on the field. Rarely do they have the stones to call it unless players are getting close to fighting.

AMEN but it happens all the time in all sports. My daughter plays VB now and last year one of the refs had to be driven to the games because he was legally blind (no kidding)...which explains a lot of the calls. ugh....grrrrrrr It almost ended up in a riot all because of the refs. I have seen officials walk off the field during soccer playoffs rather than deal with the fist fight on the field. When a parent asked why they weren't stopping it, they said the parents had no right to talk to them after the game and they needed to be addressed as Sir at all times. Like teachers, we need to pay them more. However, they should do the job they sign up for and do it right. It's frustrating that adults are intimidated by kids.

post the video......and the discussion is over.

Joined today and claims to have secret video...complete with sound. This is obviously not an article written about a player saying something or doing something stupid, which happens every week. The inference is that is was a team thing.

Stadiumrat everything you have posted makes no sense. Are you still re-living this game some 10 yrs later? Guess what after the games last out, the last sec ticks off the clock, the officials are through. They can fight all they want. Maybe you should talk to the local p.d. or go out there yourself and save somebody instead of chasing officials to their car. If kids get in a fight in the sport I do, I sit back and watch. I have a front row seat. They will eventually get tired.

I will say I believe atheletes are getting along better and showing better sportsmanship now than in years past. Ive seen some good things from kids over the last several years.