Worst Team Names

MWesten

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henderson State are actually called the RED REDDIES.

Really....give me a link to the site that says that....because the actual UNIVERSITY athletic website begs to differ....

HENDERSON STATE UNIVERSITY

QUICK FACTS

Men's Teams Nickname:

Reddies

Women's Teams Nickname:

Lady Reddies

Sorry to bust your bubble with this one....BUT, if you can show me the proof that states otherwise, I will accept. You might be thinking of Texas Tech....the RED RAIDERS....hmm...

Be Sweet! :flowers:

What is a Reddie?

Throughout the years, the teams of Henderson State University have been known as “Reddies.” Several stories persist as to how the name originated, but no doubt it came from the color of the jerseys worn by the first football team. Early editions of student publications refer to the players as “Red Jackets” and at other times as “Red Men.” The initial edition of the Oracle, October 6, 1908, contains a story that Nellie Hartsfield had the honor of naming the football team the “Red Jackets” and received an annual pass to the games.

By 1908, however, the newspaper writers were referring to them simply as “Reds.” A plausible explanation for the evolution to “Reddies” is that it fitted into pep songs and yells better than the shorter and more blunt “Reds.” In later years, well-meaning sports writers have called the teams “Redskins,” “Indians,” and “Big Red,” but the name “Reddies,” apparently originating from the red of the red and gray school colors, has stuck and the teams therefore remain without the traditional mascot.

The name Reddies is for not only athletes, but for the entire student body. No other color could better portray the honor, courage, and loyalty that represent Henderson State University. Hendersonians proudly wear the Red and are fittingly known as Reddies.

Be Sweet!! :flowers:

What exactly is a Yoemen or a Lady Yoe?

Back in the 20's the Yoe family from Cameron donated a ton of money to build a new school and so we are named in remembrance of them. Have Yoe Day every year in observance of them.

What is a Yoemen you ask?

Definition of Yoemen

YOEMEN is plural, not Yoeman. We don’t play for ourselves, we play as a team. To be classified as a YOEMEN you have pride in your team and not just yourself. We play for the name on the front NOT the back. To be a YOEMEN is all about being full of pride, being a top school in the state, and never giving up in our school and our name, “YOEMEN.” We may be hated by many, loved by few, but we ARE Respected By All. We do everything with class and respect for others. To be a YOEMEN you have to have heart and effort to be the best that you can be for the school and the community. We STAND OUT as one of the schools that does not have a repetitive mascot like a tiger or a mustang. As you go through Yoe High School or any other Cameron ISD campus, ALWAYS remember that YOE PRIDE NEVER DIES. You can take the person out of the school, but you cannot take the YOE PRIDE out of the student. Once a YOEMEN, always a YOEMEN.

How about the Amarillo High Sandies? Galveston has a high school called the Ball High Tornadoes, and that is pretty unusual in my opinion. Killeen High is called the Kangaroos, as is Weatherford. The strangest name for a mascot is a tie between the Itasca Wampuscats and their district rival Grandview, who are called the Zebras. Coming in third are the Cuero Gobblers.

I was raised in Port Lavaca and always thought the Sandcrabs was a terrible mascot. I would have loved to have been at the meeting when they decided that one. In middle school we were the fighting fiddler crabs! Boy does nt that strikes fear. My question is.... If that was the best they could come up with the what could have been turned down?

Back in the 20's the Yoe family from Cameron donated a ton of money to build a new school and so we are named in remembrance of them. Have Yoe Day every year in observance of them.

Definition of Yoemen

YOEMEN is plural, not Yoeman. We don't play for ourselves, we play as a team. To be classified as a YOEMEN you have pride in your team and not just yourself. We play for the name on the front NOT the back. To be a YOEMEN is all about being full of pride, being a top school in the state, and never giving up in our school and our name, "YOEMEN." We may be hated by many, loved by few, but we ARE Respected By All. We do everything with class and respect for others. To be a YOEMEN you have to have heart and effort to be the best that you can be for the school and the community. We STAND OUT as one of the schools that does not have a repetitive mascot like a tiger or a mustang. As you go through Yoe High School or any other Cameron ISD campus, ALWAYS remember that YOE PRIDE NEVER DIES. You can take the person out of the school, but you cannot take the YOE PRIDE out of the student. Once a YOEMEN, always a YOEMEN.

Thank you for that. Lots of pride there.

Saw their bumper sticker a couple of years ago...

Big Letter "S" followed by the plain font,

"crappers"

Can we have a mulligan?

Lockesburg (AR) Blue Darters

Yoeman was a middle class farmer, or a clerical petty officer in the Navy.

and whatever the school mascot of Toad ####, Arkansas is...

Bigelow Rosenwald School

Used to live in Conway, AR and fished the Arkansas river out of Toad Sukc park all the time. Conway was the WampusCats.

Definition of Yoemen

YOEMEN is plural, not Yoeman. We don't play for ourselves, we play as a team. To be classified as a YOEMEN you have pride in your team and not just yourself. We play for the name on the front NOT the back. To be a YOEMEN is all about being full of pride, being a top school in the state, and never giving up in our school and our name, "YOEMEN." We may be hated by many, loved by few, but we ARE Respected By All. We do everything with class and respect for others. To be a YOEMEN you have to have heart and effort to be the best that you can be for the school and the community. We STAND OUT as one of the schools that does not have a repetitive mascot like a tiger or a mustang. As you go through Yoe High School or any other Cameron ISD campus, ALWAYS remember that YOE PRIDE NEVER DIES. You can take the person out of the school, but you cannot take the YOE PRIDE out of the student. Once a YOEMEN, always a YOEMEN.

Great description, BaseballUmp. I have friends in Cameron and I've never seen such strong school pride from an entire town. You could find the two worst enemies in Cameron and they would band together like brothers if you disrespected their town or school. One thing you didn't mention: In Cameron, the Yoemen are not farmers, they are archers. I remember a painting of a Robin Hood-like man with a big bow and arrow on the gym wall. I would place this among the best names and NOT in a worst names thread!

Pirates are sometimes called Bucs. Are Lady Pirates called Buc-ettes?

The Poth Pirates girls teams are known as the Pirettes.

Years ago Victoria was the Stingarees (a type of stingray). Only problem is - Victoria is like 30 miles from the coast. Well, at least it was different. These days Victoria's two high schools are the East Titans and the West Warriors. Boring.

In the college ranks, I have to mention the Delaware Blue Hens. Yes, both the men's and women's teams.