Best Places To Buy A Car

Locutus

Don't know about you all but I am one who is constantly car/truck shopping. Some places you go in and the "deals" they offer are so ridiculous. Some are pretty tempting. What are some good places that really treat the customer well and don't try to do you over?

I've learned to always purchase a used car. Preferably only about 2-3 years old. The depreciation of the first year kills a new car's value. I have purchased two new cars off the lot in 1991 and 1997, but when you go to trade them in you're upside down. We bought a 2 year old Vette for $35,000 which had been listed new at $50,000, and a 4 Runner for $24,000 that had been listed at $33,000. They were in good condition, and didn't have to make any repairs. However purchasing anything over 5 years old may have those problems. I recommend buying used.

Well, since I do all the truck and car buying around here... it just depends. I always know exactly what I want. I start calling around at various dealerships if I'm looking for a new one, which probably won't ever happen again with these new truck prices... and I decide who wants to deal.

The last truck I bought, Tyler Dodge had the truck I wanted, so a friend of mine was going through Tyler, she test drove it for me, called me while she was test driving it, and they delivered it to me in a couple of days ... all the way to Gilmer, with a full tank - I thought that was pretty impressive, and I signed the papers then. LOL! Had another truck I was looking at at Kilgore Dodge almost exactly, without the ZZZZ seats but it was $400 more, and I wanted the ZZZZ seats... LOL!

Certain dealerships are just too darned high, and I'm not paying all that.

Greenville Dodge will drive you darned near #### - they'll add this and that to it - which infuriated me... infuriated Dad, too, so much that he and I both left... course left mom with the young'uns.. kept telling her DON'T DO IT... but oldest was batting those eyes... for young'un's truck... a friend of ours told me about a used car dealership in Gladewater on Hwy. 80, was exactly the truck I was hunting for for him, they said it cost this much, I told them I'd pay X amount... we drove it home that day.

When oldest bought his truck, we went all the way to Mansfield - good grief almighty, I've never seen so many trucks on a lot in my life - and that's all they have is trucks..... oldest thought he was in heaven, and I betcha we test drove at least 15 of 'em... good grief!!!!!! But that big ole red 1 ton Dodge 4x4 just kept begging him... LOL! They don't particularly deal, they have it on the website, and you pretty much pay whatever that is, although I did get 'em down $300, which I wasn't exactly happy about it, but oldest was fixing to throw a fit, it was his money, so whatever.... jeesh!

Now as far as cars.... I call my bank or other banks to see what they've got... the last one we got was a heck of a deal - was a repo obviously, was in perfect condition, ran like a scaled dog, fantastic gas mileage... although since a 10-point buck sideswiped it, it still sits in our yard... but it'll get fixed this next year for hubby's next work car. Got that car for $2,500 - not a scratch on it anywhere.

Do not, I repeat, do not ever consider dealing with Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, Texas. Everyone there is a graduate of The University of High Pressure Sales Tactics. They are all well trained at sticking it to you no matter what. They will lie, cheat or whatever it takes to pressure you into a vehicle that you don't need or want. It took me about 30 seconds to figure these clowns out! BYE!

Don't go there! Don't even drive by the dealership, it's an evil place filled with evil people.

Boss I take it you don't like Trophy Nissan. lol

:censored: no!

During the summer my wife and I were shopping for a used car and I found one of their used car adds on AutoTrader. It was a certified used 2009 Nissan Altima, super clean, loaded and low miles for a very fair price.

On a Friday afternoon I called them up to confirm the car was still available and told them I would be driving over from Tyler Saturday morning to look at the car. Great they said and took my cell number just in case they sold the car.

Saturday morning; I wait for the dealership to open so I can confirm availability before heading to Mesquite. "Yes we still have your car come on over".

Half way to Mesquite; my wife calls one last time to confirm availability. She gives them the stock number and informs them we are driving all the way from Tyler to look at this one car. "Still have it, see ya in a few".

We arrive and guess what? At first they claimed they could not find the car because they had a big sale during the week and their entire inventory and been shuffled around on the lot. PONY LOAF! They then proceeded to try and sell me every other car on the lot. I said @#%& no, find my car and I might buy it. Finally they said there was a deal pending on the car and it was not available. I requested to see the car anyway as I wanted to see just what I was missing out on. They told me that was not possible because the car was in the service area getting checked out. SUPER PONY LOAF!

Well, my only satisfaction during this ordeal came when I was able to gather the sales associates, the used car manager, and the general manager in the center of the used car office in front of all the other customers (victims) and at the top of my voice, rip them all a new-one. A real big new-one!

I just thank the good Lord that I did not have a firearm with me that day!

Trophy Nissan is hole, a deep dark black hole! The sales people are like vultures waiting to feast on your still breathing carcass.

find a car you like and a dealership you feel comfortable with. buy a vehicle and be done with it. if you compare your purchase to other cars/dealerships, you'll probably second guess yourself forever. the best place to buy a car "deal wise" is always the last place you visit. remember in most cases, dealers make a great deal more money off of used cars than they do new ones.

When I was at Cox we got all these discounts for all the automobile companies and my ex wanted a Mustang so I got the Ford employee discount. We went to Sulphur Springs to get her a maroon Mustang that she really wanted but I made her get it in a standard cause well, it's just alot more fun to drive that way with a Mustang. She balked at first but once I had her test drive it she fell in love with it. Then on that exact same day we was driving through Gladewater and they had a really nice red Ford truck that I liked. I stopped and bought that too! First time I ever bought two brand new vehicles in the same day! Man that was crazy...lol But that Ford employee discount is worth ALOT! We ended up getting two vehicles literally for the price of one brand new Mustang! Then in 05 I was driving on my way to work in Longview and it was raining really hard and someone dumped some piping conduit in front of the Castleman's house right there before you got to the gaurd rails and I didn't see it. I was in our second Mustang and it blew the tire out and bounced me back and fourth through the gaurd rails and then that creek was so flooded that when I finally got past the rails the car flipped over in what was then a river. The car caught on fire and I broke my arm. Luckily for me the Holcombs dad pulled me out of the car!! It was totalled and we ended up actually coming out ahead in the price from the insurance company so I bought her one of the 05 Mustangs!!! Man I loved that car!! Don't know if she still has it or not. She says she does but you can't believe half of what she says....lol

The Ford dealership in both Sulpher Springs and Gladewater are really good places and I bought a fairly new Durango from Yazell in Gilmer that was a really good deal! Wasn't too much of a fan of the Nissan place in Longview but thats where I got my second Jeep that I really loved! If he's still in business, look up Troy Whitworth! He's a really great guy that will hook you up with a really good deal!!!!! Plus he's a very honest, good man that you can trust!

Boss I couldn't help but laugh at your story. You tell it so well. I won't be going to that place.

I'll have to add Pony loaf to my vocab.

Thank you very much. I take comfort in knowing you will never have to go through what I did as it was one of the most stressful days of my life.

To this day thoughts of revenge, sabotage, criminal mischief and human torture that would make some Taliban dudes cringe still run through my mind.

One of the best things I was told to do when buying a new car is if you have a trade in, don't tell them unitl your about to buy a car. Bring it up casually at the end of the conversation by saying something like, oh and I would like to trade this car in, how much will you give me? That forces them to give you maximum value on your vehicle because they didn't have time to fenagle you out of a ton of money. I never had to do that though cause I always got really good deals on all the cars I bought.

:censored: no!

During the summer my wife and I were shopping for a used car and I found one of their used car adds on AutoTrader. It was a certified used 2009 Nissan Altima, super clean, loaded and low miles for a very fair price.

On a Friday afternoon I called them up to confirm the car was still available and told them I would be driving over from Tyler Saturday morning to look at the car. Great they said and took my cell number just in case they sold the car.

Saturday morning; I wait for the dealership to open so I can confirm availability before heading to Mesquite. "Yes we still have your car come on over".

Half way to Mesquite; my wife calls one last time to confirm availability. She gives them the stock number and informs them we are driving all the way from Tyler to look at this one car. "Still have it, see ya in a few".

We arrive and guess what? At first they claimed they could not find the car because they had a big sale during the week and their entire inventory and been shuffled around on the lot. PONY LOAF! They then proceeded to try and sell me every other car on the lot. I said @#%& no, find my car and I might buy it. Finally they said there was a deal pending on the car and it was not available. I requested to see the car anyway as I wanted to see just what I was missing out on. They told me that was not possible because the car was in the service area getting checked out. SUPER PONY LOAF!

Well, my only satisfaction during this ordeal came when I was able to gather the sales associates, the used car manager, and the general manager in the center of the used car office in front of all the other customers (victims) and at the top of my voice, rip them all a new-one. A real big new-one!

I just thank the good Lord that I did not have a firearm with me that day!

Trophy Nissan is hole, a deep dark black hole! The sales people are like vultures waiting to feast on your still breathing carcass.

For a second there, I thought you were me. Wife and I had the exact same experience.

imyahuckleberry, That's actually quite shocking about Tyler Ford. Those guys over there have always been fantastic to me.

imyahuckleberry, That's actually quite shocking about Tyler Ford. Those guys over there have always been fantastic to me.

I'd rather not get my blood pressure up on the experience I had with their service department.

As far as buying an auto there, I always got a better deal somewhere else which might be why my service experience was so bad.

Thank you very much. I take comfort in knowing you will never have to go through what I did as it was one of the most stressful days of my life.

To this day thoughts of revenge, sabotage, criminal mischief and human torture that would make some Taliban dudes cringe still run through my mind.

You can add Greenville Dodge to that list - those folks were just unbelievable!

I too will never set foot in Tyler Ford. Unreal. Do they think absolutely no one knows anything about cars/trucks. I have to also say that Classic is a beaut. I guess there are people who go into car places and never do any research or know anything about cars, but today you can pretty much go in and know exactly what your car is worth, what their's is worth. Yet some of them still think you musta just fell off the turnip truck.

I cannot imagine buying a new vehicle again. Honestly don't know why anyone would, but sure there are some good deals there too at times. I used to deal with Henry Lewis and I think he just about always gave me the best deal. But last several I have gotten elsewhere.

And yes, more money is made off of used cars. Most new cars they want to make a couple hundred. Used ones there goal is several thousand.

Because I love looking at cars I take pleasure out of going into places, telling them exactly what I want, what I know, and messing with their little scheme of doing things. I will tell them you have one shot, that this is not a negotiation. When they ask what I want my payment to be, I just laugh and tell them, oh no. You give me a deal that I can't walk out of, I am not interested in a better deal than next door. I also love telling them when they ask about a trade in that I will pay whatever they value their car at, but they will pay what I value my car at. The stuttering starts then.

Oh, also, Crow in Canton also has some good deals once in a while. And although Pittman's in Lindale gets some nice vehicles in, they must think they are made of gold. Never gotten a good offer there.