2011 Hall of Fame Voting Ballot

shoelessjoelives

This year will be a good class to choose from for voters. It will also be one that the voters will have to decide how much weight the Steroid Era will carry into history.

Big names included on the list of candidates are Robby Alomar, Jeff Bagwell , Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Juan Gonzalez (Smoaky's hero), Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Rafael "Senator I have never......" Palmeiro, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell and Larry Walker.

The Hall of Fame will announce the 2011 inductees on January 5th.

I am well aware of the fact that Blyleven ranks high in several all-time pitching statistical categories & is a trendy crusade, but when I think of the what the spirit of the Hall Of Fame should be -- the absolute best of the best -- I am still unable to see him in that light.

Someone convince me that Bert Blyleven is one of the absolute greatest pitchers of all-time ... without presenting me a list of pitchers already in the Hall Of Fame less deserving (I am aware of those guys, too) ;)

2011 Veterans Committee Hall of Fame Ballot

• Vida Blue
  • Davey Concepcion
  • Steve Garvey
  • Pat Gillick
  • Ron Guidry
  • Tommy John
  • Billy Martin
  • Marvin Miller
  • Al Oliver
  • Ted Simmons
  • Rusty Staub
  • George Steinbrenner

Wow ... am I the only one who does not see a proverbial "slam dunk" pick on either list ???

This is one of the weakest ballots in recent memory, in my ever-so-humble opinion! :D

Robby Alomar is the only standout HOFer of the new class. Best second baseman of my generation. The Hirschbeck incident showed what an idiot he was. That might go against him this round. Alot of Hall of Very Good Players.

Marvin Miller should go in on the Old Timers vote. His work with the Players Union made the game what it is today, bad or good.

^ Lee Smith ??? :unsure:

In addition to Bert Blyleven, someone PLEASE convince me that Dale Murphy is one of the absolute "greatest of the greatest" to play the game.

In my "ever-so-humble" opinion, Murphy is in that "Hall Of The Very, Very Good" group that includes Roger Maris & Steve Garvey.

Always liked Dale Murphy and of course he was exposed more than anyone else just about by playing for the TBS broadcast of the Atlanta Braves games in the 70's. The Braves were on TV everyday which gives you more exposure. Murphy had good power numbers with 398 homers and 1266 ribbies but that .265 BA is not Hallish for a power hitter at Cooperstown, IMO.

^ Lee Smith ??? :unsure:

In addition to Bert Blyleven, someone PLEASE convince me that Dale Murphy is one of the absolute "greatest of the greatest" to play the game.

In my "ever-so-humble" opinion, Murphy is in that "Hall Of The Very, Very Good" group that includes Roger Maris & Steve Garvey.

I have no problem at all with Roger Maris being selected to the HOF. Unlike Murphy, anybody that held that type of monumental record for that long deserved the recognition.

I am well aware of the fact that Blyleven ranks high in several all-time pitching statistical categories & is a trendy crusade, but when I think of the what the spirit of the Hall Of Fame should be -- the absolute best of the best -- I am still unable to see him in that light.

Someone convince me that Bert Blyleven is one of the absolute greatest pitchers of all-time ... without presenting me a list of pitchers already in the Hall Of Fame less deserving (I am aware of those guys, too) ;)

2011 Veterans Committee Hall of Fame Ballot

• Vida Blue
  • Davey Concepcion
  • Steve Garvey
  • Pat Gillick
  • Ron Guidry
  • Tommy John
  • Billy Martin
  • Marvin Miller
  • Al Oliver
  • Ted Simmons
  • Rusty Staub
  • George Steinbrenner

Wow ... am I the only one who does not see a proverbial "slam dunk" pick on either list ???

This is one of the weakest ballots in recent memory, in my ever-so-humble opinion! :D

I've been to the HOF a couple of times. After you get through the front foyer you actually enter the "Hall" itself. To your right on a small wall are the plaques for the original 5 members. The goosebumps start to crawl up your body as you stand there and read the inscriptions on those plaques. As you make your way around the Hall reading the plaques of the other members the goosebumps never leave. I don't see this list of players making goosebumps on me.

No "slam dunks" unless you happen to be among those on the list.

Yea and I want a million dollars and world peace myself. I'm sure everyone on that list wants to get in the hof Joe, but are they goosebump worthy....................not to me IMHO.

If I could vote, I'd vote for Alomar and Blyleven.

Alomar was the best second baseman of the '90s.

I used to go back and forth on Blyleven. But 287 wins, fifth in strikeouts, ninth in shutouts, two titles and a 3.31 ERA and one of the best curveballs in baseball history. He's in for me.

Now we have to convince Cheapy.

Convince me that Blyleven is among the greatest pitchers to ever play the game & not just a very good pitcher & I am in!

I won't lose sleep or revolt if he is elected, I simply do view him as a Hall Of Famer ... he does not pass mellon's "goosebump test" :whome:

Has Mellon got a vote in the BBWAA for the Hall of Fame!!

I only wish I did. :D

I knew when I made that post I would "Scorch the Beans". All the players on the induction list are very good players and they deserve all the accolades they have received over the years, but in my honest opinion they are not worthy of the Hall of Fame. The one player that stands out is Alomar but, that incident of his sure looms big.

But, with everything being said I assume that King George will be inducted even though he was banned from day to day management of his beloved Yankees back in 1990.

It's December 5th and we are still talking baseball. Life is good.