Cotton Bowl - A&M - LSU

eagles66

This should be an outstanding Cotton Bowl game between LSU and A&M. These are old rivals and playing LSU may help the Aggies pick up some talent from Louisiana. Both schools have a rabid fan base.

I will stay with the Big 12 and take the Aggies. What do others think ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be an outstanding Cotton Bowl game between LSU and A&M. These are old rivals and playing LSU may help the Aggies pick up some talent from Louisiana. Both schools have a rabid fan base.

I will stay with the Big 12 and take the Aggies. What do others think ?

I will stay true to my old school and take the Bengal Tigers. LSU will bring their band known as the "Million Dollar Band From Tigerland". Can't wait for this.

I will obviously take the Tigers here (or anytime) versus the Aggies. The Tigers and Aggies used to play every year in the 60's and 70's with the all-time series between the two standing at 26-20-3 in favor of the Tigers. I would like to see the game live but have vowed never to set foot in jerry's world. The Rangers Ballpark is as close I will come to that place.

I will obviously take the Tigers here (or anytime) versus the Aggies. The Tigers and Aggies used to play every year in the 60's and 70's with the all-time series between the two standing at 26-20-3 in favor of the Tigers. I would like to see the game live but have vowed never to set foot in jerry's world. The Rangers Ballpark is as close I will come to that place.

Correct, and A&M has won the last five meetings. LSU also owes A&M a cool $400,000 :thumbdown:

This game could end up being 9-6 or something like the Nebraska game.

LSU owned the 60s and early 70s in which every game was played in Baton Rouge. The Ags won in 74 and 75 and wanted to have regular home and home series. LSU refused and broke off the series. In the early 80s Jackie Sherill was struggling and LSU was looking for a foothold back into Texas, so the rivalry began again in 86. The Tigers won the first 3 matchups before the Aggies were able to finally get a victory in 89. In 1990, the Tigers once again won, but the Aggies were actually competitive in a loss. The tides were changing, and A&M ripped off 5 consecutive victories. At this time LSU was taking some beatings in the SEC and decided that no amount of Texas recruiting advantage was worth an annual A&M loss, so the series was once again broken off. A&M wanted its 400k but according to the contractual terms if either school ever found an equivalent substitute opponent then the clause would be waived. LSU found the very prestigious Northeastern Louisiana University which had become D1 in 1994. They hadn't met since, so there was no way the Cotton Bowl would pass up this matchup. It should be a great game.

LSU has the advantage of playing in the SEC so they'll be battle tested. No hate on the Big 12, but everyone knows the SEC is the most dominant. I see this game being 10-9 in A&M's favor. Glad to see A&M improve so much not just from last year but also during the year.

Any chance that Christine Micheal is back for this game?

LSU has a good pass defense, but their run defense isn't as good. Gray will have a big game. IMO A&M needs to find a way to get Jeff Fuller invovled in the game if they want to win.

I don't think we'll see C-Mike till next year.

I'm pulling for the Ags in this one. Big 12 needs a victory against the dreaded SEC.

Besides, anytime Les Miles can take a loss, its a good day. His elevator just doesn't go to the top. In fact, I think its stuck on the ground floor.

Well I guess the Aggies should win because they have a higher Strength of Schedule according to the Jeff Sagarin Ratings. The Sagarin Ratings are considered one of the most "politically correct" rankings and are used for the BCS rankings.

A&M comes in with the 12th most difficult schedule; LSU comes in with the 23rd most difficult schedule.

Other notible teams with SOS ranking:

Auburn - 16

Oregon - 20, yes their schedule was tougher than LSU when it is all said and done

Stanford - 10

Oklahoma - 8

TCU - 82

Boise - 70

Ohio State - 68

Wisconsin - 71

UCONN - 79

Arkansas - 19

Well I guess the Aggies should win because they have a higher Strength of Schedule according to the Jeff Sagarin Ratings. The Sagarin Ratings are considered one of the most "politically correct" rankings and are used for the BCS rankings.

A&M comes in with the 12th most difficult schedule; LSU comes in with the 23rd most difficult schedule.

Other notible teams with SOS ranking:

Auburn - 16

Oregon - 20, yes their schedule was tougher than LSU when it is all said and done

Stanford - 10

Oklahoma - 8

TCU - 82

Boise - 70

Ohio State - 68

Wisconsin - 71

UCONN - 79

Arkansas - 19

I'm just curious.....I updated SOS a week or so ago "per NCAA.org"....a poll that you had posted in response to my cbs sports SOS poll....and you said that cbs was biased, and we couldn't use that one. Then when I posted the updated poll "per NCAA.org" you said that all that poll was was opponents combined record. Now you come up with this other poll. You can post what you want, but just remember that the Bengal told you so when Auburn throttles the little ducklings.

I thought you weren't a fan of SOS???

Oh, one more thing.....5-7 hurt a little bit this year didn't it?

I'm just curious.....I updated SOS a week or so ago "per NCAA.org"....a poll that you had posted in response to my cbs sports SOS poll....and you said that cbs was biased, and we couldn't use that one. Then when I posted the updated poll "per NCAA.org" you said that all that poll was was opponents combined record. Now you come up with this other poll. You can post what you want, but just remember that the Bengal told you so when Auburn throttles the little ducklings.

I thought you weren't a fan of SOS???

Oh, one more thing.....5-7 hurt a little bit this year didn't it?

The NCAA.org SOS is purely based on W/L records. In other words, a win by UT over Wyoming is just as strong as a UT win over Nebraska. I was not aware of how NCAA.org based their "Toughest Schedule" early in the year because there were not too many games played. Now that I know, it's obvious that their "Toughest Schedule" rankings are not true because strength of opponent is not factored.

The Jeff Sagarin rankings have been around a long time and do take strength of opponent as a factor. Is it perfect? I don't think so because it does not factor in margin of victory.

I'm not really a fan of SOS; I just got a little tired of the continued posts that complains about teams SOS - specifically Oregon. So they've had a few close games; big deal. Auburn has had a few close games as well. These two teams finished undefeated for the season including playing in pretty tough conferences.

And yes, the 5-7 record #### this year. A lot of things coming out of Austin right now that explains most of the problems. I have confidence that Mack Brown and Will Muschamp will get it corrected and have UT back in the National Title hunt shortly.

The NCAA.org SOS is purely based on W/L records. In other words, a win by UT over Wyoming is just as strong as a UT win over Nebraska. I was not aware of how NCAA.org based their "Toughest Schedule" early in the year because there were not too many games played. Now that I know, it's obvious that their "Toughest Schedule" rankings are not true because strength of opponent is not factored.

The Jeff Sagarin rankings have been around a long time and do take strength of opponent as a factor. Is it perfect? I don't think so because it does not factor in margin of victory.

I'm not really a fan of SOS; I just got a little tired of the continued posts that complains about teams SOS - specifically Oregon. So they've had a few close games; big deal. Auburn has had a few close games as well. These two teams finished undefeated for the season including playing in pretty tough conferences.

And yes, the 5-7 record #### this year. A lot of things coming out of Austin right now that explains most of the problems. I have confidence that Mack Brown and Will Muschamp will get it corrected and have UT back in the National Title hunt shortly.

I know what you were saying. I still have my questions about the strength of the Pac 10. Isn't it true that they don't even have enough bowl eligible teams to fill their bowl tie ins? Outside of their top 2 teams, who is there? My problem with any computer formula for whatever ranking there is out there, is that if you don't like what the computer says, you can change what you are asking the computer. According to cbssports.com and ncaa.org, A&M has the #1 ranked SOS, and I'm sure they do. They played a brutal schedule and came away with 3 losses. Most teams would have finished with 1, 2 or 3 losses at the least with their schedule. But also in both of those SOS rankings, Auburn, LSU and Arky were top 10 in SOS also. I just don't see Oregon as playing a brutal schedule. I have my question about other conferences too, but I can see where those could be viewed as tough. Just not the Pac 10. I have yet to hear anybody be able to defend Oregon's SOS. And maybe nobody has to....the BCS has them in the NC game. That's what really matters.

As to SOS not being a big deal.....just ask TCU. Every poll I've seen until now has TCU with a tougher schedule than Oregon....yet TCU gets overlooked.

One more thing. Mack Brown will have it rolling again within 2 years. I just had to take me shots. :rolleyes:

As to SOS not being a big deal.....just ask TCU. Every poll I've seen until now has TCU with a tougher schedule than Oregon....yet TCU gets overlooked.

I think what a lot of people overlook is the type of player that is on the field for these teams. I totally respect what TCU has done this year and wish we had a playoff system so they would get a shot at the crystal ball. But I also know that for the most part, the players that make up the teams of the Mountain West are not the players that make up the teams of the PAC10. Those kids are bigger, faster and stronger on average than the players of the Mountain West. TCU opened up against Oregon State and did not have another meaningful fame until Utah - which we all know were heavily over-rated. The good thing for TCU is they have an opportunity to prove they belong with a Rose Bowl game against Wisconsin.

Would you be upset if TCU was chosen to play in the NC over a 1-loss LSU or 1-loss Auburn? I know I would simply because TCU does not play the talent that those two schools play most of the year. New Mexico and Wyoming both finished 1-7 in conference play of the Mountain West. 'Ole Miss finished 1-7 in conference play of the SEC. You want to guess which team has more talent? 'Ole Miss would wax the floor with both of these schools. UT's only savior last year to get to the NC game was the fact they play in the BIG XII. It didn't matter that Suh made them look like #### in the Conference Championship Game - UT still won to remain undefeated.

Now that the regular season is over, the sad thing is TCU would be no better off if they were in the BIG EAST this year because the BIG EAST conference was down overall. The only difference is they would know they were playing in a BCS bowl prior to the selections, and they wouldn't have to worry about another non-BCS school being ranked ahead of them. Let's face it, if Boise beats Nevada, TCU is playing in a regular, non BCS bowl game. Boise went from a BCS bowl to the Vegas bowl because one of the nation's best kickers missed a couple of FGs.