Mark Cuban

HighRollin8s

I saw somewhere where someone said that the NFL's playoff system was a good model for college football. Um, the NFL has how many teams? College has like 120? So thats not going to work. The plus 1 scenario has it's own problems in that what happens if you have 3 undefeated teams? Which has happened.

The plus 1 scenario has it's own problems in that what happens if you have 3 undefeated teams? Which has happened.

3 undefeated teams is ideal in a plus one. If they have quality wins then odds are they should be ranked in the top 10. You pull the three top 10 ranked undefeated teams and the highest ranked 1 loss that a. doesn't have a loss to either of the 3 and b. isn't in the same conference as the other 3.

3 undefeated teams is ideal in a plus one. If they have quality wins then odds are they should be ranked in the top 10. You pull the three top 10 ranked undefeated teams and the highest ranked 1 loss that a. doesn't have a loss to either of the 3 and b. isn't in the same conference as the other 3.

I think I'm missing something here which is no surprise but are you talking about AFTER the bowls have been played because thats what I mean. Because you can play your plus one game and still have 3 undefeated teams. What year was it, I believe Auburn was undefeated, and so was Utah and someone else I think. I could be wrong though.

May I ask you a personal question via messenger? Nothing bad or anything like that.

May I ask you a personal question via messenger? Nothing bad or anything like that.

yeah no problem!

and I get what you're saying, but I was talking about my idea of making sure undefeated teams played each other in order to eliminate the no. of undefeated teams. It's stupid to match up 3 undefeated teams against 1 or 2 loss teams and not each other. There needs to be more stipulations instead of just contracts with bowls and conferences. It shouldn't matter what conference you're in...bowls should be the most attractive match ups period

yeah no problem!

and I get what you're saying, but I was talking about my idea of making sure undefeated teams played each other in order to eliminate the no. of undefeated teams. It's stupid to match up 3 undefeated teams against 1 or 2 loss teams and not each other. There needs to be more stipulations instead of just contracts with bowls and conferences. It shouldn't matter what conference you're in...bowls should be the most attractive match ups period

And again I don't have a problem with a undefeated team like TCU getting a chance to prove themselves but I do have a problem with them getting an automatic bid into a game against an undefeated Oregon or Auburn. Simply because of their schedule. That may not be the popular opinion on here because they are a Texas team but I'm sorry, I just don't think they would hold their own against one of those two teams. Even more so if there were a playoff.

Its not about thinking if they would survive a playoff for a MNC but the fact that they actually have a chance to compete for a MNC.

I'm not saying teams from lesser conferances don't deserve the chance to prove themselves. They do. I'll agree with you on that but do you honestly think that if there was a playoff system that teams like TCU and Boise St. would be able to survive and make it to the National Championship? I mean it's a great idea and I'm not being sarcastic but what happens after 3 or 4 years of them being knocked out of the first or second round? Because those teams are more than likely going to get a lower seed due to their schedule. For that matter, I don't see any of those teams screaming for a playoff to begin with.

While it's true there are 120 teams in the FBS, not all of these teams have a chance to win the NC at he beginning of the season... that is a problem. I am for a playoff simply because it allows EVERY team a chance to win the NC. Some of these teams that most of us don't want to watch in a bowl game is the the ONLY opportunity the team has in the post season. I say skip the off weeks except for finals week, and finish with a 16 game playoff. BCS rankings can be used for seeding, and all conference champions would have a shot with a few at-large teams. Criteria can be set to where a team not ranked high enough (say 35) in the BCS is not eligible for the playoff.

There could even be a small non-BCS playoff where the 5 conference hchampions and top independent could play one weekend for 3 spots in the NC Playoff. Seeding again could be done by BCS rankings. This would allow more BCS conference teams in the bracket (13 BCS Teams & 3 Mid-Major/Independents). Miss 1 or 2 weeks for finals, and we would still finish before Jan. 7.

*** All other teams could still play in bowl games.

I guarantee if the Okahoma St. vs. Arizona was a playoff game instead of the Alamo Bowl, there would be more people inerested in it.

Its not about thinking if they would survive a playoff for a MNC but the fact that they actually have a chance to compete for a MNC.

I never said they shouldn't be allowed to compete for that reason. I said I don't believe they would survive and that's just my opinion. Who know's, maybe they would. Heck it's not to the teams up norths advantage either because the SEC would cry about wanting all the games in Florida and California to their advantage.

One problem I do see with a playoff system is in conferance matchups. Most conferances that have more than 10 teams have to drop and rotate 2 teams from their schedule a year. With a 16 team playoff, thats going to add 3 games to their schedule for them to win it all. Some teams in the past who've won it all played 13 games in regular season and a 16 game schedule would be kind of hard on student athletes. You would have to drop more than 2 games from your conferance and thats just for a chance to win it all.

I realize that would be easy for southern teams but not so much for the northern when it's so cold and snowy that late in the season. I also realize that the current BCS games are played in all southern bowls but a playoff system should utilize the entire country for playoffs.

Why is 16 games hard on student athletes? UIL has Texas high school athletes doing it every year and it works out just fine.

did you attend college?

If you are referring to college classes being more difficult there are a few things to consider. Almost all universities have their own counselors for the athletic department. The counselors help the athletes with their schedules. During the fall, football players not only take less hours (usually just 12), they also take classes that are less difficult for them. Likewise, the football players will pick up hours and the more difficult classes they need in the spring and summer semesters. Another factor is these college athletes have all the help they can legally get and then some. This can include tutorials, mandatory study times and athletic study labs that rival any other study labs on campus. I don't think there would be any problems using a playoff schedule with the exception of taking a 1-2 week break for semester finals.

This can include tutorials, mandatory study times and athletic study labs that rival any other study labs on campus. I don't think there would be any problems using a playoff schedule with the exception of taking a 1-2 week break for semester finals.

Sounds like even more of a reason why they don't have the time. Plus what about your players who aren't just there to play football. I'm not sure of current players but guys like Sam Bradford that was a finance major. There's no easy way to do that. Especially when your key players are most likely juniors and seniors. By no means should college football resort to a system that does even more to encourage players to take it easy...STUDENT athlete..I realize they get help, but you have to admit a play off would be additional stress

Sounds like even more of a reason why they don't have the time. Plus what about your players who aren't just there to play football. I'm not sure of current players but guys like Sam Bradford that was a finance major. There's no easy way to do that. Especially when your key players are most likely juniors and seniors. By no means should college football resort to a system that does even more to encourage players to take it easy...STUDENT athlete..I realize they get help, but you have to admit a play off would be additional stress

I kind of agree with you. What percentage of student ahtletes actually make it to the NFL? Most of those kids go into it knowing that this is the last of their playing days and so actually use their scholarship as a means to pay for school.

Yes I have attended a class or two. Why is it acceptable for every level except Division I to have the extra games of a playoff? Are the classes so much easier at smaller schools that they really do not need the extra time to study?

I don't think it's right for any of them to be playing or practicing frantically during finals week. Especially those schools with less NFL talent that really need that degree

Everyone knows the college athletes get study guides which are the exact copy of the test. What about the basketball players who are gone for extended periods of time?

I don't think it's right for any of them to be playing or practicing frantically during finals week. Especially those schools with less NFL talent that really need that degree

Everyone knows the college athletes get study guides which are the exact copy of the test. What about the basketball players who are gone for extended periods of time?

Tell that to LSU's running back, obviously he didn't get the memo