Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

The Texas Rangers still are talking with Adrian Beltre but haven’t reached an agreement with him, a major-league source said Sunday.

100110-MLB-Adrian-Beltre-PI_201010011955

HOT STOVE

Is an MVP-caliber trade in store for your team? Follow every offseason move. Read MLB Buzz Blog. PioDeportes.com, a website based in Beltre’s native Dominican Republic, reported Sunday morning that the free-agent third baseman had agreed to a six-year, $96 million deal with the Rangers.

The Rangers have pursued Beltre for weeks, but he isn’t an easy fit for their roster. Michael Young, the team’s popular third baseman, would need to be traded or moved to designated hitter in order to accommodate Beltre.

Beltre’s agent, Scott Boras, is seeking a contract worth at least $85 million over five years or more, rival executives say.

The Los Angeles Angels, the Rangers’ rival in the American League West, still are viewed as the leading candidate to sign Beltre. The Oakland A’s, the most active AL West team this offseason, have pulled their latest offer to Beltre.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this move makes zero sense to me
I agree. Beltre is only three years younger, only hit 35 points higher (in what was an off season for Young in batting), only had 7 more homers, and made the same number of errors (19) at third base. With Young's status as a team leader and team icon, I would stay with Young.

I say bring Beltre to Texas. They may have the same number of errors, but if you watched both play it would be easy to tell that Beltre is a serious ugrade at the hot corner. And I do not want to get rid of MY. Move him to DH. When Elvis needs some rest, throw him at SS. When Beltre needs a break, put em back at 3rd. When Ian gets hurts again, put him at second. In that scenario, all we lose is Vladdy, which IMO Beltre is going to make up for his lack of production and you still keep MY as a Ranger.

Dont look at errors and try to compare Beltre and Young at 3B...This is what Buster Olney said about him

The third baseman consistently ranks at or near the top of the defensive metrics for all players at his position, and is generally regarded by advance scouts to be the best fielding third baseman.

http://www.bbtia.com/the-clubhouse/2011/1/...ian-beltre.html

Doesn't make much sense to me to bring in Beltre either. It could help us though.

IF they bring him in and he wins the 3rd base job, couldn't Michael move over to 1st base? That could solve a long standing weak spot in the order.

I'm not a Rangers fan but if they want to put the best possible team on the field, they will sign Beltre and move Young full-time to 1st. Moreland should go to the bench and contrbute as he can. Beltre hitting behind Hamilton (assuming he has another good year), would be scary. Beltre's numbers last year were put up without alot of protection in the lineup.

One theory I've heard is that signing Beltre means the end of Young as a Ranger. The reasoning is that is defense wont be good enough at first base and that he still has 3 years @ $16 million for an aging player with slipping production. Beltre would be an upgrade defensivley at third base. That would be the only upside. Beltre is way too much of a contract year player.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pl...php?p=beltrad01

Look at his production compared to his salary while a Mariner. 5year/$64 million deal. Inflate that another $30 million or so if the Rangers sign him. Would it really be a cheaper, better upgrade than Michael? Better the devil you know than the one you dont.

I think as fans we tend to over value new players who in a small window have some good games( Chris Davis, Kevin Mench come to mind)

I THINK Moreland will be solid, but I also dont think you can just say ok he is set at 1B so no need to challenge him if a better option is avaliable.

Now in saying that..Young would be more like a Chone Figgins type, play 150 games or so at various positions

Michael Young, willing to do whatever it takes in order to stay with the Rangers, is an amazing team player in an era where selfless actions like his are just rarely seen anymore. As much as I'll hate to see it, it looks like the Rangers are foolishly going to sign Beltre ("Have contract year, will hit") the Mercenary. Man, I hate to see this. Maybe the deal will fall through.

One theory I've heard is that signing Beltre means the end of Young as a Ranger. The reasoning is that is defense wont be good enough at first base and that he still has 3 years @ $16 million for an aging player with slipping production. Beltre would be an upgrade defensivley at third base. That would be the only upside. Beltre is way too much of a contract year player.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pl...php?p=beltrad01

Look at his production compared to his salary while a Mariner. 5year/$64 million deal. Inflate that another $30 million or so if the Rangers sign him. Would it really be a cheaper, better upgrade than Michael? Better the devil you know than the one you dont.

Yeah, it looks like Beltre only hits .300 or better every 6 or 7 years. Young is a much more consistent hitter than Beltre.

Michael Young, willing to do whatever it takes in order to stay with the Rangers, is an amazing team player in an era where selfless actions like his are just rarely seen anymore. As much as I'll hate to see it, it looks like the Rangers are foolishly going to sign Beltre ("Have contract year, will hit") the Mercenary. Man, I hate to see this. Maybe the deal will fall through.

Right again Ratface! Young did it the first time when they told him a 19 yr old at AA was taking his gold glove spot away at SS. That was the building block of this years success and the future. Everyone saw what he did and thats why after getting into the playoffs everyone went to him, not just cuz he went the longest. One year contract men that are known not being locker room players are a CANCER.

Right again Ratface! Young did it the first time when they told him a 19 yr old at AA was taking his gold glove spot away at SS. That was the building block of this years success and the future. Everyone saw what he did and thats why after getting into the playoffs everyone went to him, not just cuz he went the longest. One year contract men that are known not being locker room players are a CANCER.

If you're talking about Beltre, that wasn't the case last season. His teammates in Boston loved him.

Look I know Young is being painted as this OMG teammate who will do anything..but lets be honest..he botched and whined about moving to 3B until he found out with his huge contract at the time he had no chance of being traded..now it is the same thing, he has no where else to go, so of course he will fall in line

Beltre being a locker room cancer is not that big a deal. His production on the field is what worries me. You pay a guy $10+ million a year I would want more consistency with the bat than he has shown. If JD & Nolan want him, pull a Boston and sign him for a year. It worked for the Dodgers and Red Sox when he was playing for that pay bump the next year.

Never underestimate team chemistry. Anyone who watched this team day-in and day-out last year knows that attitude and chemistry are a huge part of a winning team. This deal will work as well as Michael Young makes it work. He is probably disappointed inside (again) to be asked to move (again), but clearly will push that aside if it makes the team better and advances them toward the ultimate goal.

While I thought Blanco played well as a backup infielder last year ................ having Young available to fill in at 2nd, SS, and 3rd would be huge. The man has won a gold glove at SS. I loved Vlad (who carried us the 1st half of the season) and the emotion he brought, but Young would be a consistent presence at DH. Most teams would take a .300 avg, 21 homers and 100 rbi's from their DH gladly.

Of course, now that I am feeling all positive about the deal, the Angels will sign him.

^ Wash and the guys in that clubhouse wont allow anyone to become a distraction. Heck Milton Bradley did pretty good with his attitude problems while here.

I wasn't necessarily referring to Beltre being a distraction. My comment was more directed at some who seemed to feel that it might be time to move Young to another team. I think his presence in the clubhouse is huge.

Yes, even ole crazy Milt behaved pretty well when he was here. There was the one time he tried running up the stairs to the broadcaster's booth though :icon_confused: The dude has some serious issues.