Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I know Young is being painted as this OMG teammate who will do anything..but lets be honest..he botched and whined about moving to 3B until he found out with his huge contract at the time he had no chance of being traded..now it is the same thing, he has no where else to go, so of course he will fall in line

Wow. Hard to believe that's your opinion of a guy who's become the face of the franchise, in addition to being a role model teammate and contributor to the community. The man justifiably takes a great deal of pride in the job that he has done and that he continues to do.

Take it for what it's worth, and this is coming from a guy that has an 11"x16" professionally matted auto pic of Young batting as well as an 11"x16" pic of Young signing a bat for my son.

The folks at ESPN Stats & Analysis took a look at the defensive runs saved and some other numbers in order to illustrate what Adrian Beltre at third base would mean to the overall Rangers defense should Texas sign the free agent third baseman. Here's a look:

Adrian Beltre vs. Michael Young

Among Third Basemen, 2010 Season

Defensive Runs Saved -- Beltre: +10, Young: -13

DRS rank -- Beltre: 7th, Young: 19th*

WAR -- Beltre: 7.1, Young: 2.3

WAR Rank -- Beltre: 2nd, Young: 14th

* Last among qualified 3B

So what does all of this mean? Well, assuming both players contribute roughly the same defensive performance as they did last season, the move from Young to Beltre -- on only the defensive side of the ball -- would result in approximately a 2-win increase.

Also, while the general assumption has been that Beltre has been a disappointment in non-contract years, that is only relatively true. Yes, his two best seasons by WAR have come prior to becoming a free agent (2004, 2010). But even in his "down" seasons, he's been decidedly better than Young, outpacing him in WAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons. (source: Fangraphs.com)

WAR = Wins Above Replacement - in other words Beltre was worth 7.1 more wins than the average replacement at 3B last year.

If you're talking about Beltre, that wasn't the case last season. His teammates in Boston loved him.

And how was their season??? Plus you know the locker room atmosphere in Boston and NY is totally different than a smaller market team! When you need to be paid the next year, they will do anything for a year.

Look I know Young is being painted as this OMG teammate who will do anything..but lets be honest..he botched and whined about moving to 3B until he found out with his huge contract at the time he had no chance of being traded..now it is the same thing, he has no where else to go, so of course he will fall in line

Are you for real again Tx- we all ready had this talk and you quit responding when you found out you were wrong!!!!

Rangers third baseman Michael Young said Monday evening that he is willing to change positions should free agent Adrian Beltre end up in Texas.

"I want to do what's best for a winning team," Young said. "That's always been the case and it always will be. I'm willing to do what I need to do to help this team."

So when you said it last time and this time- you are wrong!!! He didn't whine about it, mad that a 19 yr old that was at AA taking his spot after a gold glove year- probally- You still telling me you wouldn't be mad at your work after winning worker of the year and then they tell you that you will be changing jobs. WRONG!! Fall in line??? :thumbdown: Is that why everyone went and shook HIS hand after making it to the playoffs , and then the world series! Young IS the meaning of Texas Rangers :texrangers:

Are you for real again Tx- we all ready had this talk and you quit responding when you found out you were wrong!!!!

Rangers third baseman Michael Young said Monday evening that he is willing to change positions should free agent Adrian Beltre end up in Texas.

"I want to do what's best for a winning team," Young said. "That's always been the case and it always will be. I'm willing to do what I need to do to help this team."

So when you said it last time and this time- you are wrong!!! He didn't whine about it, mad that a 19 yr old that was at AA taking his spot after a gold glove year- probally- You still telling me you wouldn't be mad at your work after winning worker of the year and then they tell you that you will be changing jobs. WRONG!! Fall in line??? :thumbdown: Is that why everyone went and shook HIS hand after making it to the playoffs , and then the world series! Young IS the meaning of Texas Rangers :texrangers:

Where did I quit responding because I was wrong??!?!? lol I remember a thread where you said Texas would NOT take Young off 3B and it appeares they are doing just that

Sorry but IMO him demanding a trade is whining..I have a funny feeling if it was a player not as liked by the fans as Young the perception would be alot different....And I dont hate Young, I have never said he was a bad teammate or anything like that. I think he will flourish in a DH/Super Uitlity role

And how was their season??? Plus you know the locker room atmosphere in Boston and NY is totally different than a smaller market team! When you need to be paid the next year, they will do anything for a year.

And if you know the least bit about baseball, you know that without Beltre the Sox would've been completely out of playoff contention in July. He was easily the best player on their team last season. I must need to do a little more research because I never heard any mention of this supposed "attitude" last season.

LOL! While it does appear that he is a mile off the dish, I guess it is working for the Rangers' all-time hits leader.

Young has been successful with his approach at the plate. There is no doubting that. I still firmly believe he could have more success if he wasn't nearly out of the box when he batted. The guy has only been hit 18 times his entire career.

Guest Pigskincrazy
Reports are Beltre IS in Dallas for his physical, and to finalize his long term deal which is reported to be 6 years and could be worth up to $96 million.

PLEASE FAIL!!!!!!

This deal is just bad....

WOW!!! You know the last time we did that! ouch. Nobody can say he is worth that for that many years!!! Thats almost LEE money! TxBroadcaster- you complaning about Young and how he is not worth 16 a year right now, just rememeber this deal in a couple years. All you will have to do is copy and paste some of your post this year for your boy B.

I agree on some of your posts, and agree Young going to super, but you wanted to first get rid of him period. Plus show me anywhere Young demanding a trade the 1st time or this time. Yes the 1st time I know he said he wasnt happy about moving but that was all that was said about it!!!

And by the way TxBroadcaster I said they would never get rid of Young- never said they wouldn't take him off third. I said they should leave him there and fix the 1st problems we need- catcher- pitchers!!

If this happens- I hope he helps us- but 2 years is all I would have invested. I don't know much but, All I love to do is go to the games with my boys and feel the love of the game at the ballpark. That feeling is always the same as soon as we walk through the gates. Everytime It feels like I am going to my first game. And I just know it took alot of years saying to everyone "this is the year" and everyone laughing. and they laughed last year also. They wont be this year. Now they are the ones with Ranger caps on. I just don't like this if it goes through for some reason!!!! It might be good for a year or so, but then it will be the same problem everyone thinks we have with Young right now. If he brings home the Rangers goal for this year, I guess he will be worth the 96 mill

Here ya go Rattler

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=tex

As far as me getting rid of Young..no I really just wanted him off 3B at the time it seemed only way that would happen is to trade him..but IMO this is win-win for Rangers..you have Beltre's glove and power with Young's consistent hitting.

I dont like the contract amount, but this year the money went high so it was the going rate.

and I never said Young demanded a trade this time, he knows the market for him is VERY VERY small with his contract

Here ya go Rattler

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article....sp&c_id=tex

As far as me getting rid of Young..no I really just wanted him off 3B at the time it seemed only way that would happen is to trade him..but IMO this is win-win for Rangers..you have Beltre's glove and power with Young's consistent hitting.

I dont like the contract amount, but this year the money went high so it was the going rate.

and I never said Young demanded a trade this time, he knows the market for him is VERY VERY small with his contract

I stand corrected- very fast by the way!!! :notworthy: but..... as Young said:

"I haven't been extremely reluctant to any requests, I've been extremely reluctant to any demands," Young said. "I want to make that clear. I've been basically told what's in store for me if I hope to be a Ranger next year. That I'm a third baseman. "That's why I'm taking the stance I'm taking. The second they told me what they had in store for me, I gave it some thought, talked to my wife, talked to some teammates, former teammates and some prominent players around the league who I have a lot of respect for. To me, everybody has supported me in taking this stance. I haven't thought twice about it."

I said he he was mad about how the deal went down. So you are right about the trade demand- But like i said, they never included him on their thoughts and plans. Anyone at ANY job like I have said would be mad if the office said you will take another job at your workplace inplace of a kid that has just got out of college and has NO experience in the BIG time. (i love the move) Everyone would have been mad!!! again congrats on being right :rant:

beltre's only all star season was last year, a contract year. this deal is too much money and for too many years. young has said he will move to dh or whatever it takes to stay in texas. we didn't lose the world series because young made errors or didn't hit. we lost because the giants outpitched us. the sanfran lineup is basically a bunch of nobodys. i would take young over any of their position players. i hope the deal works out, but today i don't see the logic.

I stand corrected- very fast by the way!!! :notworthy: but..... as Young said:

"I haven't been extremely reluctant to any requests, I've been extremely reluctant to any demands," Young said. "I want to make that clear. I've been basically told what's in store for me if I hope to be a Ranger next year. That I'm a third baseman. "That's why I'm taking the stance I'm taking. The second they told me what they had in store for me, I gave it some thought, talked to my wife, talked to some teammates, former teammates and some prominent players around the league who I have a lot of respect for. To me, everybody has supported me in taking this stance. I haven't thought twice about it."

I said he he was mad about how the deal went down. So you are right about the trade demand- But like i said, they never included him on their thoughts and plans. Anyone at ANY job like I have said would be mad if the office said you will take another job at your workplace inplace of a kid that has just got out of college and has NO experience in the BIG time. (i love the move) Everyone would have been mad!!! again congrats on being right :rant:

I am sorry but Young is being paid to play, he should not have to be ASKED to move and he only changed his stance when it was basically realized with his contract and defensive liabilty even at SS his trade value was dead

beltre's only all star season was last year, a contract year. this deal is too much money and for too many years. young has said he will move to dh or whatever it takes to stay in texas. we didn't lose the world series because young made errors or didn't hit. we lost because the giants outpitched us. the sanfran lineup is basically a bunch of nobodys. i would take young over any of their position players. i hope the deal works out, but today i don't see the logic.

So, now Rangers' fans are judging Beltre by the fact that he's only been in one All-Star game? This deal is no more outlandish than the deal they were offering to Cliff Lee. Rangers' fans will be flooding this site with Beltre "attaboys" come June when he's a major contributor in the lineup.

I am sorry but Young is being paid to play, he should not have to be ASKED to move and he only changed his stance when it was basically realized with his contract and defensive liabilty even at SS his trade value was dead

Now you were right with proof of the trade demands, but that is opinion on that he realized he had no other option. HE WAS MAD- He did not do it because he had no other choice- He wanted to stay a Ranger for ever, why can you not admit that.

Everyone that moves postition in the bigs is "asked" before they they tell them they are moving, even if the 'asked' is being told.

So, now Rangers' fans are judging Beltre by the fact that he's only been in one All-Star game? This deal is no more outlandish than the deal they were offering to Cliff Lee. Rangers' fans will be flooding this site with Beltre "attaboys" come June when he's a major contributor in the lineup.

The Lee deal would have been a little close to outlandish because of the years but Beltre's deal is way over the top outlandish because of the YEARS!!!!! I will be "attaboys" hopefully in June, but we will have this same post we are having on Young for Beltre in two years from now. PERIOD!!!!