Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

The Lee deal would have been a little close to outlandish because of the years but Beltre's deal is way over the top outlandish because of the YEARS!!!!! I will be "attaboys" hopefully in June, but we will have this same post we are having on Young for Beltre in two years from now. PERIOD!!!!

Yeah, you're right. Five years, guaranteed, is outrageous for a 32 year old stick in the American League. Have no clue what you're rambling about "Young for Beltre in two years." Young will be nothing but a full-time DH at that point and Beltre will still be playing 3B.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still praying for what would basically be a small miracle now. Maybe Beltre will fail his physical, or just maybe Boras will be Boras and suddenly demand yet another year on this multi-year debacle of a contract.

Over the past 7 seasons, excluding his injury-plagued year in 2009, the guy has averaged (roughly) 25 HRs and 90 RBI. You're right, please let him fail his physical. The Rangers are way too great a team to be able to use his defensive ability and that paltry offense.

I'm still praying for what would basically be a small miracle now. Maybe Beltre will fail his physical, or just maybe Boras will be Boras and suddenly demand yet another year on this multi-year debacle of a contract.

REALLY?!?!?! I just dont see why people feel this is a bad deal..u keep Young's bat in the line up AND you get better at 3B

Yeah, you're right. Five years, guaranteed, is outrageous for a 32 year old stick in the American League. Have no clue what you're rambling about "Young for Beltre in two years." Young will be nothing but a full-time DH at that point and Beltre will still be playing 3B.

"but we will have this same post we are having on Young for Beltre in two years from now"

If you don't understand it I will put it this way- two years from now -Beltre will be "the older 3B that we are paying too much, that has limited range, that has to many E's and still we have to keep him for another 3 years- do you understand what I am saying. What we are talking about now with Young. We will be talking about on Smoaky two years from now about Beltre.

I will grow to like him. Heck I hated Vlad when we had to play against him- (almost as bad as I hated Terry Bradsaw) but came to love everything Vlad stood for. :notworthy:

Over the past 7 seasons, excluding his injury-plagued year in 2009, the guy has averaged (roughly) 25 HRs and 90 RBI. You're right, please let him fail his physical. The Rangers are way too great a team to be able to use his defensive ability and that paltry offense.

Well Greinke, looks like you're getting your wish - news conference called in Arlington for this afternoon to officially announce the signing.

Well Greinke, looks like you're getting your wish - news conference called in Arlington for this afternoon to officially announce the signing.

Plus The Rangers lose their first-round pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft to the Red Sox as compensation. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

"but we will have this same post we are having on Young for Beltre in two years from now"

If you don't understand it I will put it this way- two years from now -Beltre will be "the older 3B that we are paying too much, that has limited range, that has to many E's and still we have to keep him for another 3 years- do you understand what I am saying. What we are talking about now with Young. We will be talking about on Smoaky two years from now about Beltre.

I will grow to like him. Heck I hated Vlad when we had to play against him- (almost as bad as I hated Terry Bradsaw) but came to love everything Vlad stood for. :notworthy:

And again, when Beltre's range becomes more limited you still have a really good stick in your lineup at DH. Again, why's that a bad thing? There's no reason to think salaries won't continue to rise so his contract will probably be a steal in 2-3 years.

BTW, here's a good story for you: http://m.mlb.com/bos/news/article/2011010516393174/

If the link doesn't work, the story is from redsox.com.

It's not my wish 'cause I'm not a Rangers' fan. I just know the quality of player he is and can't understand all of the negativity you guys have for him.

It's not my wish 'cause I'm not a Rangers' fan. I just know the quality of player he is and can't understand all of the negativity you guys have for him.

Because if you take away his only two good years, he is averaging 18 homeruns and 71 RBIs over the remaining 11 seasons. That's certainly not worth 6 years, 96+ million dollars. 2 good years out of 13 is definitely not awe-inspiring....or even note-worthy.

I'll give you that defensively, they got A LITTLE better (for the time being). As a team and its future, they took a step back.

Nah. Everyone in DFW is darn right GIDDY over this deal. Now, if they could just swing a deal for Matt Garza.... :thumbsup:

Guest Pigskincrazy

I don't think its as much negativity towards Beltre as much as it is the terms of the contract.

I think we all agree that the Rangers just got a little better for the next 2 to 3 years. Then you will have 2 to 3 years of wasted money on the backside of the contract that could be used towards the future.

Too many years, too much money, makes this a bad deal in the long run for the Rangers....

I don't think its as much negativity towards Beltre as much as it is the terms of the contract.

I think we all agree that the Rangers just got a little better for the next 2 to 3 years. Then you will have 2 to 3 years of wasted money on the backside of the contract that could be used towards the future.

Too many years, too much money, makes this a bad deal in the long run for the Rangers....

Remember the Rangers have a stocked farm system. They can afford to eat a couple of years if they have to. All the moves they've made and still have all their prospects. Couldn't be happier.

Nah. Everyone in DFW is darn right GIDDY over this deal. Now, if they could just swing a deal for Matt Garza.... :thumbsup:

Nah. Not everyone in DFW is giddy. Now we have too much money tied up with several arbitrations in our near future to even breath in the direction of Matt Garza. We're stuck with another ARod deal.....with less production gained.

Not even close to the A-Rod deal. Is there risk in the deal? There's risk in every deal you make. Beltre will improve the defense, he's been one of the best 3b in baseball for several years. Who do you want? Beltre or Guerrero? Beltre's offense will only get better in Texas. I guess we could've let the Angels sign him.

I'm not comparing the deals in the way of dollar signs but in its effectiveness. All this deal does is tie up a lot of money. At least with ARod, people were buyiung tickets just to see him. No one is going to be buying tickets just to see Beltre catch an extra grounder and hit .250. This was an uneeded expense. If my family was hungry and I had the money for food, why would I go out and buy a Rolex?

I think the deal is actually a good one for the Rangers...by signing a third baseman you get Young as a DH and a utility player to fill in for Kinsler, Beltre and Andrus. Now who would you rather have filling in when someone needs a break, Young or Blanco? I'll take Young 50 times out of 50.

I'm not comparing the deals in the way of dollar signs but in its effectiveness. All this deal does is tie up a lot of money. At least with ARod, people were buyiung tickets just to see him. No one is going to be buying tickets just to see Beltre catch an extra grounder and hit .250. This was an uneeded expense. If my family was hungry and I had the money for food, why would I go out and buy a Rolex?

I think this WAS a needed expense( not that I like the amount)...Young was terrible defensively at 3B there is no way around that..now Texas has the best left side of the infield in baseball a top 4 infield on defense and a top 5 possibly defense overall and they get to keep Young's bat and they added 28-35 HRs at the 3B position

His career average is 25 HRs and I think it is safe it to say he can at least match his 28 from last year in another hitter's park

Don't waste your breath. Some folks just don't get it. This is a GREAT move by the Ranger's. I trust Nolan, Chuck and JD. They did their homework and hit a homerun. :notworthy:

Because if you take away his only two good years, he is averaging 18 homeruns and 71 RBIs over the remaining 11 seasons. That's certainly not worth 6 years, 96+ million dollars. 2 good years out of 13 is definitely not awe-inspiring....or even note-worthy.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's about the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen on a message board.