Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

His career average is 25 HRs and I think it is safe it to say he can at least match his 28 from last year in another hitter's park

And several of those seasons were in Seattle. Not a right handed hitters home-run park by no means.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And several of those seasons were in Seattle. Not a right handed hitters home-run park by no means.

How could you possibly blame his numbers on the park he played in when the world is convinced his production is only tied to years when his contract is expiring? Are you saying there could be other factors involved?

Fascinating.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's about the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen on a message board.

Can you disprove my numbers or are you just at a loss for words now and this was the only thing you could think of to say?

His career average is 25 HRs and I think it is safe it to say he can at least match his 28 from last year in another hitter's park

First of all, his career HR AVG is 21...not 25. Secondly, Last year was basically a career season for him except for 2004. Since he has played in 13 seasons, the odds are far HIGHER for him to hit less than 28 homeruns. he's only done it twice in 13 years, but now you think he'll do it every year because you want him to? Not likely.

First of all, his career HR AVG is 21...not 25. Secondly, Last year was basically a career season for him except for 2004. Since he has played in 13 seasons, the odds are far HIGHER for him to hit less than 28 homeruns. he's only done it twice in 13 years, but now you think he'll do it every year because you want him to? Not likely.

His 162 game career average is 25 HRs http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...d01.shtml?redir

I am not sure why so many Ranger fans are not on board with this move..you upgrade 3B defensively to the point that their infield is one of the top defensive units in baseball..you KEEP Young's solid bat and ability to play multiple positions you still have power at 3B

Is the money high? sure..same as Young..but that is the market now..look at what someone like Werth got who has far less skins on the wall.

All the Ranger fans want to stay relevant and that means at time making moves like this

His 162 game career average is 25 HRs http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...d01.shtml?redir

I am not sure why so many Ranger fans are not on board with this move..you upgrade 3B defensively to the point that their infield is one of the top defensive units in baseball..you KEEP Young's solid bat and ability to play multiple positions you still have power at 3B

Is the money high? sure..same as Young..but that is the market now..look at what someone like Werth got who has far less skins on the wall.

All the Ranger fans want to stay relevant and that means at time making moves like this

I'm sorry. I was using his actual numbers. By using that formula then yes, he has the potential to hit 25 HRs a season. I would ask though, how come he hasn't been doing it. He has bloated numbers in two seasons that bring all his average (and below average) years up to a decent level.

I'm not opposed to the Rangers puting up the big bucks for great players...this is not a GREAT player. He's good defensively. That's nice to have, but offensively he has shown that he is not worth that type of money. If we're going to cast out almost $20 a year for someone, I want more than one good season out of six (which seems to be the only thing Beltre has demonstrated).

How anyone can claim that Beltre is "far superior" to Young defensively at 3B is beyond me...they both committed 19 errors last year, and as far as the ridiculous Sabermetric stats go, they're all irrelevant, opinionated statistics. In other words, useless nonsense. I just don't like this deal at all.

Don't waste your breath. Some folks just don't get it. This is a GREAT move by the Ranger's. I trust Nolan, Chuck and JD. They did their homework and hit a homerun. :notworthy:
Sorry to be harsh, but that's about the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen on a message board.

Look. I'm a huge Ranger fan and have been since I was old enough to turn the dial on our console TV to channel 11 by myself. I will die a Rangers fan. I think in all those years I've earned the right to say that I don't like one deal or another and still be a fan. If you think the money is worth it, then great. That's fine with me and I'm happy that you like it. Don't try to discrededit another fan though, just because they disagree with you. I think they spent too much money for the guy, period. That's my opinion. If he produces like he did in 2004 and 2010 then I will have been put in my place. For the time being however, I have my place and it's just as high as your place in Rangers fandom. No one is wasting their breath by discussing their opinions about their team.

i think the big difference in this deal and when we got vlad is that vlad used to KILL us. he's 48 yrs old or something and still had a great year last year for 2 billion pesos or something. in hitter friendly rangers stadium after 219 at bats, beltre is hitting .306 with 9 hrs., 18 2b, 1 3b, 34 rbi, 3 sb, and 10 walks. he played half of his games at fenway last year and talk about hitter friendly? 310 and 302 down the lines. i understand the monster and all but you pull the ball 315 at fenway and its an easy double off the wall. you do that in arlington and your not even to the track. that being said i hope he hits 60 bombs next year and takes home the world series mvp. if he does, i'll still think we paid too much for too long based on what we already had.

I'm sorry. I was using his actual numbers. By using that formula then yes, he has the potential to hit 25 HRs a season. I would ask though, how come he hasn't been doing it. He has bloated numbers in two seasons that bring all his average (and below average) years up to a decent level.

I'm not opposed to the Rangers puting up the big bucks for great players...this is not a GREAT player. He's good defensively. That's nice to have, but offensively he has shown that he is not worth that type of money. If we're going to cast out almost $20 a year for someone, I want more than one good season out of six (which seems to be the only thing Beltre has demonstrated).

I am sorry but you were touting the defense of Chis Davis when he was batting .100 with like 3 HR, but you kept saying his defense at 1B was enough to keep him in the line up...Now we are getting a 3B who DOES hit for power on a consistent basis who is considered the best or top 3 3B defensively

Yes we paid to much, but that was the market

The Rangers got better today. Might have payed a bit much, but lets be honest with ourselves, in today's MLB, you have to do that. And if you don't believe in all those little WAR's and SR's and all the other little geeky fielding stats, just watch Beltre play. MY was a decent 3rd baseman at best, very limited range. He had the arm to make any throw but when you can't get to the ball or don't put your body in front of it to stop it, then arm strength ain't gonna do ya no good. And you can throw out all the stats you want about Beltre not being a hitter. He played at Safeco......hardly anyone outs up good numbers there. During his time in Seattle, he hit 20 points better away from home, so there is some relevance there. All I ask from the guys who actually have to step on the field with Beltre...... :nowhearthis: DO NOT TOUCH HIS HEAD!!!!

How anyone can claim that Beltre is "far superior" to Young defensively at 3B is beyond me...they both committed 19 errors last year, and as far as the ridiculous Sabermetric stats go, they're all irrelevant, opinionated statistics. In other words, useless nonsense. I just don't like this deal at all.

Really? Your going to compare 19 errors by Young who has NO range to a 3B like Beltre who yes had 19 errors but had more put outs, more assists and more chances

and I dont think the defensive metric is opinonated..they simply break down the defense stats past just errors

I am sorry but you were touting the defense of Chis Davis when he was batting .100 with like 3 HR, but you kept saying his defense at 1B was enough to keep him in the line up...Now we are getting a 3B who DOES hit for power on a consistent basis who is considered the best or top 3 3B defensively

Yes we paid to much, but that was the market

At the time we had nothing else for 1st base. Had Beltre played first base and available, I wouldn't have been able to gripe about it considering the price was right. As it was, all we had was Smoak and he performed EXACTLY as I said he would. Yes...in that situation last year, Davis' defense was enough to keep him in the job. Now, I challenge you to find a post of mine where I said he should be there in place of Moreland after he took over. Moreland was what we needed at the time.

As for this move. I think it would be fine if not for the $20 million a year. That money had been needed to dangle in the air to attract good pitching. Now that money is gone for the next 6 years and its that much less we have to bargain with when another pitcher does become available or when making offers to our current players during arbitration. Our need for a third baseman did not trump that, IMO. Not this year.

As for this move. I think it would be fine if not for the $20 million a year. That money had been needed to dangle in the air to attract good pitching. Now that money is gone for the next 6 years and its that much less we have to bargain with when another pitcher does become available or when making offers to our current players during arbitration. Our need for a third baseman did not trump that, IMO. Not this year.

This is where you and I will just have to disagree, I think the defense at 3B was a huge hole last year..making your defense better makes your staff better.

As far as the money this is what the owner had to say

Each player we have to address on an individual basis, but signing Adrian does not change our plans or impair our plans in any way," managing general partner and CEO Chuck Greenberg said

This is where you and I will just have to disagree, I think the defense at 3B was a huge hole last year..making your defense better makes your staff better.

As far as the money this is what the owner had to say

Each player we have to address on an individual basis, but signing Adrian does not change our plans or impair our plans in any way," managing general partner and CEO Chuck Greenberg said

I can understand why he'd say that. I can also understand why Michael Young said he was fine with being the DH. You know that neither statement is true, but it's what needed to be said in order to keep the team and fans from ripping down the seam.

I can understand why he'd say that. I can also understand why Michael Young said he was fine with being the DH. You know that neither statement is true, but it's what needed to be said in order to keep the team and fans from ripping down the seam.

I dont think Greenberg was blowing smoke..when Lee was still on the table a couple of the silent partners whose pockets are DEEP told Greenberg and Nolan that basically they would foot the bill to keep the team's payroll budget competitive and when they lost Lee they said basically that offer still remains

I think its a fantastic move. I think you gain defensively and the lineup will be just as good with Beltre in it then with Vladdy. The greatest thing to me about this move is the bench. You will have David Murphy, arguably the best 4th outfielder in the game, and you will have Michael Young, arguably will be the best utility infielder in the game, available to give guys days off or for in case of injuries. Think about it when Ian injury prone Kinsler goes down in June, who ya got? No, not Christian Guzman, you got Michael Young. Or when Neslon injury prone Cruz goes down in APRIL, throw ol David Murphy out there. The Rangers are deeper defensively and offensively, lets be honest, they will score runs. My concern is more on the pitching than anything this year. I hope Webb is healthy, otherwise, thats your bust in offseason moves. Because that move is what has kept the Rangers from going after other starters.

Good try five, but they wont listen to you. Some people don't admit when they are wrong. I just hope we get at least 50 Million productivity out of him, because he will get all his 96 plus

WE GAVE UP A FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!!!! does nobody see a problem with that. That might be more of a shock then the money!!!!!!!!!!

That is all I am saying also. Six years is a long time (ok 5-for those that like this deal)

3B was not broke- old- yes- but the people that do stats in NY and Boston are alot different than Texas!!!! We will need a ACE- when? we might have one now, maybe get one at deadline, or on the market next year at this time, but like Five said, we will need that money we overspent for B. I pray to the baseball gods I am wrong about him and his jersey is the number one seller! but until that this just seemes like one of our ???? trades or signs that left us to hurt for years and years. We are now just getting over A-ROID.....

For $20 million a year I want Pujols- MVP type numbers, not 20ish homers-80ish rbis. For 30 more million the Rangers could have gotten Werth a better defensive player in the OF than everybody but Hamilton. That would make as much sense, you know.

Couple of times last year, his BoSox teammates went to take his helmet off his head as part of a celebration and he almost stuck his foot up there rear....

Dude just doesn't like his melon touched. Plain and simple. It became a joke about May and continued after all of his HRs.