Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

I really don't know what pitcher(s) they should sign, but the Beltre deal will not get the Rangers back to what they achieved this past season. History has proven this many times with the Rangers.

3rd base was not a need..period. Bad investment

actually 3B defense was a need..anytime you take a position and move it from one of the worst to one of the best that is a upgrade..better D = better pitching results

and while yes the Rangers could use an ace, to act like this staff is like the staff of past Rangers is crazy, this staff right now is solid if not spectacular.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what pitcher(s) they should sign, but the Beltre deal will not get the Rangers back to what they achieved this past season. History has proven this many times with the Rangers.

It might not have been a need, but it puts them in position now to continue to compete offensively. No team goes any further than where their overall pitching can take them. They had really good overall pitching last season and ended up making the playoffs. Even without Cliff Lee, they were going to make the playoffs. All they need, is for their pitching staff to build on what they accomplished last year and have Webb contribute positively.

I honestly think this is what is happening

Ranger fans have seen penny pinching for so long we are getting sticker shock and at a signing that basically the majority is saying is a really good move, yes there is a little bit of overpay, but not like Chan Ho Park or ARod over pay. the thing is, this Ranger group can afford to overpay at times

here is the thing..add Beltre to the 2010 payroll minus Vlad adding Webb and the Rangers are STILL about 22nd in the league in payroll compared to other teams using 2009 payroll

Did you actually watch the games? 3B was a significant NEED. MY cost the Rangers at least 1 of the WS games watching #### bounce right past him.

Acquiring a number 1 starter would seal the deal, but remember the Rangers won the West last year with essentially the same rotation. Cliff Lee did very little during the regular season. Someone will be available at the trade deadline. I'm hoping Josh Johnson. Having Moreland and Davis to trade can't hurt your chances.

Greenberg has been a straight shooter so far, so until he lies I take what he says as being honest..he is not Tom Hicks

and yea I would go with it as a HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade..Young has been at the bottom to last in defensive stats for 3B...Beltre at the top

Going back to money...Norm Hitzges during the Lee chase brought up a point..as much as Greenberg is the "face" as an owner, the real important people are the few silent partners who are Billionares who have told Greenberg they are more than willing to use their own money to upgrade the team and the payroll..that is what is happening now..the te Beltre money like the Lee money is really not even being factor into the resigning of players in the future

If you look at the works instead of the words, then you'll be able to see more clearly. $96 million dollars tied up over 6 years is still $96 million dollars that they won't have. If I have $20,000 in my piggie bank and I want a car that costs $20,000, then I spend $10,000 on bubble gum, I'm not going to get the $20,000 car when it becomes avaiable. There's no way to get around it. They are $96 million poorer now and there offensive production went down a little. They could have gone after a front line cathcer for probably half that and actually improved defensively AND offensively.

The Rangers could make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upgrade at every position on the field, but if they don't upgrade the starting pitching staff they are going nowhere. Trying to outscore everybody doesn't work in baseball.

are u living in the 90's? The Rangers did not win the division last year by out scoring everyone..they were 4th in AL in runs and 4th in AL in ERA

They are $96 million poorer now and there offensive production went down a little. They could have gone after a front line cathcer for probably half that and actually improved defensively AND offensively.

and their defensive production went way up

name the catcher they could have got

You're right. Vlad stinks up the park. :rolleyes:

As good as her was at the beginning of the year, Vlad was pretty spare at the end of the season.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

July 100 12 21 2 1 3 16 8 2 12 0 1 .210 .282 .340 .622

August 104 11 28 4 0 4 15 4 0 13 0 1 .269 .296 .423 .719

September 96 9 31 7 0 4 15 3 3 8 0 0 .323 .359 .521 .880

October 10 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 .200 .273 .200 .473

As good as her was at the beginning of the year, Vlad was pretty spare at the end of the season.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

July 100 12 21 2 1 3 16 8 2 12 0 1 .210 .282 .340 .622

August 104 11 28 4 0 4 15 4 0 13 0 1 .269 .296 .423 .719

September 96 9 31 7 0 4 15 3 3 8 0 0 .323 .359 .521 .880

October 10 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 .200 .273 .200 .473

He was one of the reasons the Rangers were even playing in October. Don't forget that.

I'm thinking down the road. No one that I know of was available I would have gone after this year.

Again..I said this earlier

Ranger fans have seen penny pinching for so long we are getting sticker shock and at a signing that basically the majority is saying is a really good move, yes there is a little bit of overpay, but not like Chan Ho Park or ARod over pay. the thing is, this Ranger group can afford to overpay at times

here is the thing..add Beltre to the 2010 payroll minus Vlad adding Webb and the Rangers are STILL about 22nd in the league in payroll compared to other teams using 2009 payroll

getitng Beltre does not blow the budget out of the water

He was also one of the reasons the Rangers didn't finish.

Oh...was Vlad the only one not hitting San Fran's pitching? Because I watched it and I could have sworn that the Rangers were sending up nine guys who didn't hit squat.

I don't fault you for thinking that. It's your opinion and I hope you're right....but they are still $96 million closer to broke.

I don't fault you for thinking that. It's your opinion and I hope you're right....but they are still $96 million closer to broke.

So basically you dont want Texas to sign ANY free agents? because ur line of thinking is every one we sign is closer to broke

again putting Beltre's yearly salary and webb still has Texas sitting in the 20's in pay roll

Wrong. Ranger's fans are just snakebit by huge contracts on players who did little to help the team achieve the overall goal, which is reaching the post season. The Rangers front office has done it again. Hide and watch.

So basically you dont want Texas to sign ANY free agents? because ur line of thinking is every one we sign is closer to broke

again putting Beltre's yearly salary and webb still has Texas sitting in the 20's in pay roll

No..that's not at all what I think. What I do think is that if you put up $96 million, you should have just signed a super-star and it should be for an absolute need, not a trade off for a little more defense and a little less offense.

Oh...was Vlad the only one not hitting San Fran's pitching? Because I watched it and I could have sworn that the Rangers were sending up nine guys who didn't hit squat.

Come on man, he went 1-14 5K and couldn't get on the field in SF because of his poor defense. $8+ miillion for Vlad would have been a much worse contract than Beltre.

Rangers have to win now. This great young team will get old (and expensive) in a hurry.