Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

yea basically your saying there is no relevance I just wanted to use an old tired thought process on the rangers and pretend it matters now

Anyone can see the relevance. Signing to outscore your opponents instead of upgrading the pitching staff DOES NOT WORK. It's history repeating itsself for the Rangers, and it's very simple and very relevant.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No..that's not at all what I think. What I do think is that if you put up $96 million, you should have just signed a super-star and it should be for an absolute need, not a trade off for a little more defense and a little less offense.

until this season is over you and I will disagee I dont think this is a little more D, I think this is a HUGE addition of D and I mean a really big addition..not only at 3B but at other positions as far as depth because I trust Young in the back up role at 2B if Kinsler is down for 30 games over someone like Blanco, plus the offense would not falter with Young at 2B like it would with Blanco

I don't fault you for thinking that. It's your opinion and I hope you're right....but they are still $96 million closer to broke.

Repeat after me.....

It's 5 years for $80 million guaranteed.

Come on man, he went 1-14 5K and couldn't get on the field in SF because of his poor defense. $8+ miillion for Vlad would have been a much worse contract than Beltre.

$8 million for Vlad numbers? Sheesh. I'll take that ANY day.

Rangers have to win now. This great young team will get old (and expensive) in a hurry.

Now this we can agree on.....especially since now they have $96 million less to spend on them(broadcaster :P )!!!

Anyone can see the relevance. Signing to outscore your opponents instead of upgrading the pitching staff DOES NOT WORK. It's history repeating itsself for the Rangers, and it's very simple and very relevant.

I love this upgrade the staff..name the pitcher right now they could get? And no this is not history repeating itself..in the past the Rangers went all offense with a terrible pitching staff and average to below average D

adding Beltre was not about his offensive stats, but his defense at 3B which will help EVERY pitcher on staff. a Staff btw that was #### good last year with youth in the rotation.

It wasn't an "instead of" deal. What pitcher should they have signed?

Repeat after me.....

Unless he gets hurt in his fifth season and doesn't get his ABs, the sixth year's is his too. $96 mil. He doesn't have to produce, just stand at the plate 500 times.

They didn't sign to outscore anyone. Just ask Five0. BTW, we're still waiting on these pitching upgrades you keep talking about.

Again, they basically have the same staff this year that was good enough to get them to the playoffs last year. Why isn't that good enough for you?

They didn't sign to outscore anyone. Just ask Five0. BTW, we're still waiting on these pitching upgrades you keep talking about.

Again, they basically have the same staff this year that was good enough to get them to the playoffs last year. Why isn't that good enough for you?

I never promised any pitching upgrades, so ### are you talking about? And no, without Cliff Lee, this is not the same staff as last year. Nice try.

Unless he gets hurt in his fifth season and doesn't get his ABs, the sixth year's is his too. $96 mil. He doesn't have to produce, just stand at the plate 500 times.

You're wrong again, it's 600 times.

I know you don't like to read facts, but here they are from Richard Durrett:

By now you probably know the breakdown of Adrian Beltre's contract. Just in case, here it is:

2011: $14 million

2012: $15 million

2013: $16 million

2014: $17 million

2015: $18 million

2016: $16 million*

* The Rangers can void that final season if Beltre fails to have either 1,200 plate appearances in 2014-15 combined or 600 plate appearances in 2015.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports today that there's another interesting clause in the deal. Olney tweeted that if Beltre "is on the DL at the end of the 2015 season and a mutually agreed-on doctor determines him unable to perform at normal health levels by Spring 2016, club may defer from '16 salary $12m with 1% simple interest."

I just found that interesting. Clearly the Rangers are doing what they can to guard against Beltre having injury issues late in the contract. The union, by the way, considers the contract 5 years at $80 million (with an option for a sixth year).

I never promised any pitching upgrades, so ### are you talking about? And no, without Cliff Lee, this is not the same staff as last year. Nice try.

If you can't back up your argument with some names, then why argue the point?

Cliff Lee's production was negligible during the regular season, except for a start or two. His impact, as it most often has been with him, was during the postseason.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. This is the same pitching staff that put the Rangers in the playoffs last season. There's no reason to think they can't perform even better this season.

You're wrong again, it's 600 times.

I know you don't like to read facts, but here they are from Richard Durrett:

By now you probably know the breakdown of Adrian Beltre's contract. Just in case, here it is:

2011: $14 million

2012: $15 million

2013: $16 million

2014: $17 million

2015: $18 million

2016: $16 million*

* The Rangers can void that final season if Beltre fails to have either 1,200 plate appearances in 2014-15 combined or 600 plate appearances in 2015.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports today that there's another interesting clause in the deal. Olney tweeted that if Beltre "is on the DL at the end of the 2015 season and a mutually agreed-on doctor determines him unable to perform at normal health levels by Spring 2016, club may defer from '16 salary $12m with 1% simple interest."

I just found that interesting. Clearly the Rangers are doing what they can to guard against Beltre having injury issues late in the contract. The union, by the way, considers the contract 5 years at $80 million (with an option for a sixth year).

The 5 and 6 are right next to each other on my keyboard. You'll have to forgive my ineptitude.

Some Ranger fans are the biggest whining crybabies on the planet. I don't like the deal, and I have supported my argument with facts. Decades of facts for that matter. If you don't like my opinion, that is your right. I frankly could give a ###.

You have to be referencing yourself, because you're the one crying about the signing.