Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically unless Texas picks up the option it is a pipe dream he will reach it..Just like they did with Millwood when they signed him...it sounds good for the agent to say 6 for 96 but it is a 5 for 80

The "option" is not really an option if he gets his ABs. It's guarenteed to him if he does. It's not a pipe dream...or even a far reach...to assume a player will get 600 ABs. All he has to do is not break something.

The "option" is not really an option if he gets his ABs. It's guarenteed to him if he does.

Just like the Millwood one was..it is protection from both sides..until it is activated it is an option and the contract is worth 80 million

If Beltre is getting 600 PA's in the 5th year and still playing great D I dont think many of us would have a problem with it being picked up

The "option" is not really an option if he gets his ABs. It's guarenteed to him if he does. It's not a pipe dream...or even a far reach...to assume a player will get 600 ABs. All he has to do is not break something.

Dude, really? You really need this explained to you? He would still have to accept the option for the 6th year. He could also decline the option and gamble that he could get more on the open market.

Both sides have no choice from year 1-5.

Just like the Millwood one was..it is protection from both sides..until it is activated it is an option and the contract is worth 80 million

If Beltre is getting 600 PA's in the 5th year and still playing great D I dont think many of us would have a problem with it being picked up

You're right. Especially because by then, $16 miliion will be needed to sign a back-up bullpen catcher at the rate the salaries are going.

You're right. Especially because by then, $16 miliion will be needed to sign a back-up bullpen catcher at the rate the salaries are going.

And if you really believe that, then you should be dancin' a jig over the Beltre terms. His contract, assuming he's anywhere near his productivity for the past 10 years, will be a steal in 3-4 years.

Why keep arguing about Vlad? He had a good a 1st half that helped pad his stats throughout the season and while the overall numbers for him look good on the back of a baseball card, any Rangers fan who watched the 2nd half and the playoffs could see that Vlad had little to no impact on the Rangers in the playoffs(he helped get us there, I'll give you that). And don't forget Vlad's age, good lord how much longer can his body hold up with that swing (and yes ,I've seen Beltre swing). If Vlad was still in a Ranger's uni next year, IMO I would expect 2009 numbers.

And referring to pitching, this was a pretty solid staff before Cliff Lee. In the regular season, he provided innings and bullpen relief. ALDS and ALCS he was dominant, not in the WS. Even with Feldy and Harden throwing beach #### towards home plate, this was a competitive team. Bullpen is still in place and the Dutch Oven is ready to step in the rotation and be a solid contributor. Webb is wait and see, but if that sinker is working expect big things from him.

And Beltre IS a huge upgrade at 3rd. If you have ever watched the 2 play and know anything about baseball you know this IS a huge upgrade.

Really? I'm the punk for calling you out for not being able to support your opinion? Get real. If you don't want to be called out for sounding foolish, back it up with some FACTS.

He doesn't have any that are relevant. He admitted his facts were from decades past.

Why keep arguing about Vlad? He had a good a 1st half that helped pad his stats throughout the season and while the overall numbers for him look good on the back of a baseball card, any Rangers fan who watched the 2nd half and the playoffs could see that Vlad had little to no impact on the Rangers in the playoffs(he helped get us there, I'll give you that). And don't forget Vlad's age, good lord how much longer can his body hold up with that swing (and yes ,I've seen Beltre swing). If Vlad was still in a Ranger's uni next year, IMO I would expect 2009 numbers.

And referring to pitching, this was a pretty solid staff before Cliff Lee. In the regular season, he provided innings and bullpen relief. ALDS and ALCS he was dominant, not in the WS. Even with Feldy and Harden throwing beach #### towards home plate, this was a competitive team. Bullpen is still in place and the Dutch Oven is ready to step in the rotation and be a solid contributor. Webb is wait and see, but if that sinker is working expect big things from him.

And Beltre IS a huge upgrade at 3rd. If you have ever watched the 2 play and know anything about baseball you know this IS a huge upgrade.

Totally agree.

Here is another fun way to look at it...Texas was willing by all reports to offer Lee 6 years around 130 guaranteed..

So by not signing Lee they take part of money allocated to him and get Beltre

since Beltre is only assured of 5 at 80..

Lee would have gotten 21 million a year so put it in a 5 yr contact..that is 105 million

So basically Texas ALREADY ALLOCATING that money for a FA this year spent 80 million and still have 25 million to play around with in pursuit of other FA or trades

Dude, really? You really need this explained to you? He would still have to accept the option for the 6th year. He could also decline the option and gamble that he could get more on the open market.

Both sides have no choice from year 1-5.

According to what I read, the option is the Rangers' and not Beltre's. The Rangers can choose to void year six if (and only if) he fails to reach 600 ABs in 2015 or 1200 in 2014 and 2015), but Beltre can't void the sixth year period.

Also...if he ends 2015 on the DL or a doctor says he can't perform, the rangers must pay him $4 million + 1% interest for 2016.

...or not. My eyes are getting wobbly.

Nailed it on the head. Don't forget there are some young guns that may be a part of this team or may be traded for that number 1 starter. Looking forward to opening day.

According to what I read, the option is the Rangers' and not Beltre's. The Rangers can choose to void year six if (and only if) he fails to reach 600 ABs in 2015 or 1200 in 2014 and 2015), but Beltre can't void the sixth year period.

Also...if he ends 2015 on the DL or a doctor says he can't perform, the rangers must pay him $4 million + 1% interest for 2016.

...or not. My eyes are getting wobbly.

You're right. I'm wrong. It does read as a team option. The injury clause, though, is just a deferrment of $12 million in salary and not a salary cut.

....The injury clause, though, is just a deferrment of $12 million in salary and not a salary cut.

gotcha. That part was confusing me a little. I don't guess I know the difference between a deferment and a reduction.

QUOTE (rattler88 @ Jan 6 2011, 08:57 PM) post_snapback.gifI'm not saying to be rite always, cuz I've been wrong.but in a post u said 28 to 35 HRs. Now the numbers are already dropping!

And I will give u props on finding links and research, but in baseball u can throw that bull out the window. Plus are u saying he is in his prime window now, but research say next yr when he is old age won't wear on him. Usually in the prime u have three years give or take. U can't have both. And the link u are mentioning has to do with THE IRON MAN himself! Or least modeled after. I will stick to my 26 and think 96 rubbies. I hope I am wrong! Oh by the way- I will cheer for him and hope to love him like we all did Vlady

My numbers did not drop, I hit the wrong button

IRON MAN? Who?

And if Beltre does hit your target of 26 HRs 96 RBI while improving the 3B defense to the point he will, I will be very happy

REALLY- The Iron Man of baseball. You know all these stats and links on old 3Bmen but you don't know #8!!!!! You can't even admit when wrong about your posts with different #'s of HRs- blaming it on the keyboard. the 2 is not really that close to the 5 :hmm: NICE TRY

Again...do you expect him to say, "If we sign Lee, our money will be shot and we're done."? Of course not. He's going to say exactly what we want to hear.

I definitely wouldn't go as far to say HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade in defense, but yes, there is certainly an upgrade there. For your second point, Young is not protection in the line up for other hitters like Vlad is. Neither is Beltre. That is one of the intangibles many analysts like to talk about.

very well put. some people are putting Young as one of the worst 3B in the league- really????? that is what makes me sick!!! Beltre is better d wise but not by WOW wise!

$19 mil a year? 80/5= $16. 96/6= $16. It's $16 mil a year any way you slice it. And since he will effectively replace Vlad's production (who would have cost at least $8 mil next year), he is costing a incremental $8 mil a year for his defense and the lineup flexibility and depth that MY at DH gives you.

Yea but it is NOT the $$$$$ it's the YEARS!!!!!! does nobody get it! You all that are "Young is to old- lost that step, payed to much, to many E's (same as B last yr) WILL be saying that in two years about Beltre!!!

QUOTE (rattler88 @ Jan 6 2011, 08:57 PM) post_snapback.gifI'm not saying to be rite always, cuz I've been wrong.but in a post u said 28 to 35 HRs. Now the numbers are already dropping!

And I will give u props on finding links and research, but in baseball u can throw that bull out the window. Plus are u saying he is in his prime window now, but research say next yr when he is old age won't wear on him. Usually in the prime u have three years give or take. U can't have both. And the link u are mentioning has to do with THE IRON MAN himself! Or least modeled after. I will stick to my 26 and think 96 rubbies. I hope I am wrong! Oh by the way- I will cheer for him and hope to love him like we all did Vlady

REALLY- The Iron Man of baseball. You know all these stats and links on old 3Bmen but you don't know #8!!!!! You can't even admit when wrong about your posts with different #'s of HRs- blaming it on the keyboard. the 2 is not really that close to the 5 :hmm: NICE TRY

No I was just making sure I understand your point because I dont..Ripken was not even in the research I was talking about.

Yea but it is NOT the $$$$$ it's the YEARS!!!!!! does nobody get it! You all that are "Young is to old- lost that step, payed to much, to many E's (same as B last yr) WILL be saying that in two years about Beltre!!!

Difference is..Young RIGHT NOW is a bad defensive 3B..he wont magically improve...Beltre is still a top 2-3 defensive 3B yes as he ages he will not be as good, but at 35-36 he will still be a better 3B than Young is RIGHT NOW

Difference is..Young RIGHT NOW is a bad defensive 3B..he wont magically improve...Beltre is still a top 2-3 defensive 3B yes as he ages he will not be as good, but at 35-36 he will still be a better 3B than Young is RIGHT NOW

If Young is SO BAD at 3B- then why in the #### do you think it is a great place for him to play super U!!!