Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to admit it, no doubt that Beltre is the better 3B than Young. But as far as anyone's claims that Young is a BAD 3B, I have to question their knowledge and experience in the game itself. True, he had a rough postseason at the hot corner and committed 19 regular season errors in '10, but he was rock solid and only committed 10 errors in '09.

I'm afraid now that the Rangers are going to put together a Moreland/Kirkman/Font type package and try to deal for Garza or another top of the rotation starter. With the acquisition of Beltre, I'm afraid either Mitch "The Godfather" Moreland or Chris Davis will be dealt.

As much as I hate to admit it, no doubt that Beltre is the better 3B than Young. But as far as anyone's claims that Young is a BAD 3B, I have to question their knowledge and experience in the game itself. True, he had a rough postseason at the hot corner and committed 19 regular season errors in '10, but he was rock solid and only committed 10 errors in '09.

I'm afraid now that the Rangers are going to put together a Moreland/Kirkman/Font type package and try to deal for Garza or another top of the rotation starter. With the acquisition of Beltre, I'm afraid either Mitch "The Godfather" Moreland or Chris Davis will be dealt.

If I was a Rangers fan, I would be begging them to find a way to pry away Garza from Tampa. Obviously, the price has to be right. I like Moreland infinitely more than I like Davis, but I would be more than willing to part with either of them in a Garza deal.

And I don't believe Young is bad defensively at 3B, though I probably only saw about 20 of their games last year.

If I was a Rangers fan, I would be begging them to find a way to pry away Garza from Tampa. Obviously, the price has to be right. I like Moreland infinitely more than I like Davis, but I would be more than willing to part with either of them in a Garza deal.

And I don't believe Young is bad defensively at 3B, though I probably only saw about 20 of their games last year.

I agree with you - I'd hate to see either Moreland or Davis (especially Moreland) dealt, but if the Rangers could put together a package for a Garza-type starter, it would definitely be a worthwhile deal.

And being a Red Sox fan, I might even buy a few Rangers tickets to show my appreciation for removing Garza from the AL East.

Look at any defensive stat..Young is at the bottom or dead last..that is why I sai he is a bad defensive 3B

Look at any defensive stat..Young is at the bottom or dead last..that is why I sai he is a bad defensive 3B

What is everyone's primary knock on his defense? Is it primarily a factor of diminished range? For the life of me, I can't see why its not just automatic that he moves to 1B. Moreland had a really nice end to the season, but he's still a kid and doubt he could be as productive over the course of 162 games.

What is everyone's primary knock on his defense? Is it primarily a factor of diminished range? For the life of me, I can't see why its not just automatic that he moves to 1B. Moreland had a really nice end to the season, but he's still a kid and doubt he could be as productive over the course of 162 games.

yes his range is the problem..and it really was at SS as well..Young at 1B I think would be solid and I agree with you the Moreland while a possibility, has done nothing to prove he can do it 162.

yes his range is the problem..and it really was at SS as well..Young at 1B I think would be solid and I agree with you the Moreland while a possibility, has done nothing to prove he can do it 162.

There was a story on ESPN Dallas a couple of days ago where Young was quoted as saying, "I'm an everyday player." Despite the club's intentions now, I would be willing to bet he plays more at 1B than Moreland.

I have no idea what this statement means. Let's keep this discussion in English please.

Well for all you English majors (WildcatsRule) Let me put it this way, some of you say the Young is the worst 3B in the bigs but you say that playing Super Utility would be great for him where at that postition you need more. Is that simple enough for all you Harvard grads.

Yea but it is NOT the $$$$$ it's the YEARS!!!!!! does nobody get it! You all that are "Young is to old- lost that step, payed to much, to many E's (same as B last yr) WILL be saying that in two years about Beltre!!!

Maybe, maybe not. If so, they can move Beltre to 1B/DH and find the next player via free agency.

Well for all you English majors (WildcatsRule) Let me put it this way, some of you say the Young is the worst 3B in the bigs but you say that playing Super Utility would be great for him where at that postition you need more. Is that simple enough for all you Harvad grads.

here is why

Young is not a terrible defensive player..has a good arm, and makes plays right at hmi..his range is a problem..playing a super utility role leaning to more 1B/2B means the weakness of his defense the range will be less a factor.

It is no different than someone who in 300 ABs produces very well..but the more you expose him the less he is effective because his weakness becomes more and more a issue. That is how I feel about young

I am fine with him at 70-80 games on defense( more on the right side of infield)..I think he becomes a liability at 130-161 games on defense( especially at 3B or SS)

Well for all you English majors (WildcatsRule) Let me put it this way, some of you say the Young is the worst 3B in the bigs but you say that playing Super Utility would be great for him where at that postition you need more. Is that simple enough for all you Harvad grads.

Super Utility?? Is that a new baseball position I've missed?

Let me break this down to you. If Young becomes what is known as a utility player, that means he can fill in as needed at different positions. The fact that some believe he's lost too much range to play 3B full-time, would not preclude him from playing other infield positions (like SS or 2B) on an as needed basis. It's called sacrificing a bit of defense to keep his bat in the lineup, as opposed to the others they might have on the bench.

Hopefully, that was simple enough for you.

There was a story on ESPN Dallas a couple of days ago where Young was quoted as saying, "I'm an everyday player." Despite the club's intentions now, I would be willing to bet he plays more at 1B than Moreland.

One cannot overlook the importance of chemistry on a team, and I think Young is a vital part of that. B-NUT

We also need take in account that some players offense is affected by whether or not they play in the field. You see it all the time players fall off when moved to the DH. It will be interesting to see if MY offense is affected by not being on the field. Could raise his batting, could hurt it, we will see in April.

I still think pitching is of greatest concern for our beloved Rangers next season. You got Wilson, Hunter, and Lewis who if they could mirror last season would be amazing. Holland, unproven, but alot of potential. And Webb, who nobody is talking about but I will say again is IMO by far the dumbest decision of the offseason. No it didnt cost us much, but it kept us from going after Garza, or another starter who is not coming off major surgery. You guys want to talk about gamble, that is a gamble. We could end the season with Feldman and Kirkman being our 4 and 5....Yikes!!!

We also need take in account that some players offense is affected by whether or not they play in the field. You see it all the time players fall off when moved to the DH. It will be interesting to see if MY offense is affected by not being on the field. Could raise his batting, could hurt it, we will see in April.

I still think pitching is of greatest concern for our beloved Rangers next season. You got Wilson, Hunter, and Lewis who if they could mirror last season would be amazing. Holland, unproven, but alot of potential. And Webb, who nobody is talking about but I will say again is IMO by far the dumbest decision of the offseason. No it didnt cost us much, but it kept us from going after Garza, or another starter who is not coming off major surgery. You guys want to talk about gamble, that is a gamble. We could end the season with Feldman and Kirkman being our 4 and 5....Yikes!!!

getting Webb did not change anything as far as going after other pitchers..right now TB wants the farm for Garza and Texas is smartly not doing that

Well for all you English majors (WildcatsRule) Let me put it this way, some of you say the Young is the worst 3B in the bigs but you say that playing Super Utility would be great for him where at that postition you need more. Is that simple enough for all you Harvard grads.

Actuallly it was Accounting... (Don't know why I was singled out, I understood exactly what you were asking.)

Young wasn't the worst in the bigs, but he was close. He was clearly the worst defender on the Ranger team last year. He will do fine as a DH or a backup at 3B, SS, 2B, or 1B.

Looks like the Garza speculation is over. Word is he's headed to the Cubs.

Yep, he and two other minor league players for 5 minor league players, most notable a 22 year old single-a pitcher and a 24 year old double-a hitter, both top prospects in the cubs organization. Garza is 27. I think the Cubs win on this one. Way to go Rangers!!!! We got a pitcher who probably wont see the all-star break. Geeze!!

The question is whether Webb will go the Colby Lewis route or the Rich Harden route. Just like every other Ranger fan, I sure hope he takes the Lewis route! I was absolutely overjoyed when I heard about the division opponent A's signing Harden, too.

Actuallly it was Accounting... (Don't know why I was singled out, I understood exactly what you were asking.)

Young wasn't the worst in the bigs, but he was close. He was clearly the worst defender on the Ranger team last year. He will do fine as a DH or a backup at 3B, SS, 2B, or 1B.

Sorry thought you were giving me a f in English with "wow" comment. I will though give you a bad grade on your comment about, all positions for the rangers could use a HUGE upgrade.... really? Ranger fan or not u can't really mean that- right.

Sorry thought you were giving me a f in English with "wow" comment. I will though give you a bad grade on your comment about, all positions for the rangers could use a HUGE upgrade.... really? Ranger fan or not u can't really mean that- right.

I didn't say that and I would disagree with anyone that did....

The Rangers could make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upgrade at every position on the field, but if they don't upgrade the starting pitching staff they are going nowhere.

Yep, he and two other minor league players for 5 minor league players, most notable a 22 year old single-a pitcher and a 24 year old double-a hitter, both top prospects in the cubs organization. Garza is 27. I think the Cubs win on this one. Way to go Rangers!!!! We got a pitcher who probably wont see the all-star break. Geeze!!

If this deal goes thru the Cubs are giving up 4 of there top 12 prospects. Not like they are throwing away some duds