Adrian Beltre Deal Premature

bkb82

If this deal goes thru the Cubs are giving up 4 of there top 12 prospects. Not like they are throwing away some duds

I agree but think about the Rangers....what position do you look at and see in the next 5-6 years that will need to be replaced. I think probably catcher and 1B other than that, we're set for the next few years. By then all these prospects will be in there upper 20's lower 30's and some other young prospect will take their place.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Webb, who nobody is talking about but I will say again is IMO by far the dumbest decision of the offseason. No it didnt cost us much, but it kept us from going after Garza, or another starter who is not coming off major surgery. You guys want to talk about gamble, that is a gamble. We could end the season with Feldman and Kirkman being our 4 and 5....Yikes!!!

The Rangers signed Webb for $3 million. If he doesn't pitch a single game in the regular season, it was worth the gamble. $3 million had absolutely no effect on the pursue of Garza. The Rangers didn't want to give away their top prospects for Garza; plain and simple. As for thinking the prospects will be too old, who's to say they won't be used for leverage next year.

Don't forget the Rangers have some big name free agency coming up in the next 2-3 years. CJ Wilson in 2012, Hamilton in 2013, [Kinsler, Cruz, Murphy and Young all in 2014]. There's room coming up for these talented young players to step in.

The Rangers signed Webb for $3 million. If he doesn't pitch a single game in the regular season, it was worth the gamble. $3 million had absolutely no effect on the pursue of Garza. The Rangers didn't want to give away their top prospects for Garza; plain and simple. As for thinking the prospects will be too old, who's to say they won't be used for leverage next year.

Don't forget the Rangers have some big name free agency coming up in the next 2-3 years. CJ Wilson in 2012, Hamilton in 2013, [Kinsler, Cruz, Murphy and Young all in 2014]. There's room coming up for these talented young players to step in.

i like the deal because he will going after a big contract after this season. he must perform to get the $$$. of course i think all contracts should be 90% performance based. talk about some exciting games.

getting Webb did not change anything as far as going after other pitchers..right now TB wants the farm for Garza and Texas is smartly not doing that

Do you have any info on what the Rangers offered for Garza. Heard they were in it to the end, didn't hear what they offered though.

Do you have any info on what the Rangers offered for Garza. Heard they were in it to the end, didn't hear what they offered though.

only thing I have heard from someone inside Rangers were, TB wanted more field players than pitchers, and right now Texas is not really strong in up the middle players in the minors( SS, CF,2B) that TB wanted..most of the young Texas players in those positions are at the major league level already.

Young following in path set by Jackie, Rose By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

-Thirty years later, Rose told Posnanski, "Now you tell me, who would agree to just switch positions to help the club? Do you know any great player who would have done that? I'll bet you could not name a single great player who would have done that." Michael Young.

only thing I have heard from someone inside Rangers were, TB wanted more field players than pitchers, and right now Texas is not really strong in up the middle players in the minors( SS, CF,2B) that TB wanted..most of the young Texas players in those positions are at the major league level already.

Thats supposedly why we didnt get Greinke.

ESPN reported the Ranger's package included:

P Derek Holland

P Frankie Francisco

OF Engel Beltre

and Cubs C Robinson Chirinos (would have been aquired in a seperate deal, more than likely for 1B Chris Davis)

• 3 months later...

QUOTE (greinke @ Jan 4 2011, 10:20 AM) If you're talking about Beltre, that wasn't the case last season. His teammates in Boston loved him.

And how was their season??? Plus you know the locker room atmosphere in Boston and NY is totally different than a smaller market team! When you need to be paid the next year, they will do anything for a year.

The Rangers say he is a great teammate!!!! I stand so corrected- thank goodness.

He really looks like he is having fun in a Rangers uniform, and that is fun to watch.

They even showed a time in the dugout when Beltre was acting like he was going to touch Josh's arm in the sling and Josh acted like he was going to touch his head.

Beltre's contract 6 years 96 million

Watching the Rangers- PRICELESS!!!!!!

Saw the highlights today.....another Beltre monster shot from one knee.

Yeah, really stupid signing.

You already bashed Ratface for his comments, do you need to go to everyone that expressed a concern about the signing....and say that....... yeah, really stupid signing or do you have to only post it every time his name is mention..

Funny thing, nobody mentions the keeping of Young!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2nd in A.L. in hits............... yeah, we SHOULD of got rid of him

You already bashed Ratface for his comments, do you need to go to everyone that expressed a concern about the signing....and say that....... yeah, really stupid signing or do you have to only post it every time his name is mention..

Funny thing, nobody mentions the keeping of Young!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2nd in A.L. in hits............... yeah, we SHOULD of got rid of him

As much heat as I took for daring to support Beltre, YES I'll be here all season.

As much heat as I took for daring to support Beltre, YES I'll be here all season.

You got to be around for 5 1/2 more years- not just the 1st month of the year. :wacko:

Do have to admit he is a wizard at 3B- love watching him hold down the 3B spot

You got to be around for 5 1/2 more years- not just the 1st month of the year. :wacko:

Do have to admit he is a wizard at 3B- love watching him hold down the 3B spot

Not really. The tone of the arguments I was receiving was that he only performed in contract years, that he wasn't a good clubhouse guy, and that he wouldn't be any better than Young at 3B. After barely a month, he's proven all of those rumors about him to be false and uninformed.

Not really. The tone of the arguments I was receiving was that he only performed in contract years, that he wasn't a good clubhouse guy, and that he wouldn't be any better than Young at 3B. After barely a month, he's proven all of those rumors about him to be false and uninformed.

Which posters said those three things about Beltre? I remember hearing people say that Young's OFFENSE was as good if not better than Beltre's, but not that he was a better 3rd baseman. I don't recall hearing people on here talk about him being a clubhouse cancer either. I do remember one or two posters saying that he only played well in contract years...but I also remember you saying that others said that when they actually didn't. You have a flare for the hyperbole.

Perhaps you're just being a drama queen. Besides...you don't even like the Rangers. Why your obsession with them now?

Which posters said those three things about Beltre? I remember hearing people say that Young's OFFENSE was as good if not better than Beltre's, but not that he was a better 3rd baseman. I don't recall hearing people on here talk about him being a clubhouse cancer either. I do remember one or two posters saying that he only played well in contract years...but I also remember you saying that others said that when they actually didn't. You have a flare for the hyperbole.

Perhaps you're just being a drama queen. Besides...you don't even like the Rangers. Why your obsession with them now?

Since I'm now a drama queen, I guess it's okay that I now refer to you as sugar-britches. So sugar-britches, I pulled these quotes from the first 6-7 pages of this thread.

"One year contract men that are known not being locker room players are a CANCER." - in reference to Adrian Beltre

"Beltre being a locker room cancer is not that big a deal." - in reference to Adrian Beltre

"Beltre has had two good seasons offensively. Period." - totally inaccurate statement by YOU based solely on something you heard someone else say

"As a team and its future, they took a step back." - YOUR insightful response to Beltre's signing

"I want more than one good season out of six (which seems to be the only thing Beltre has demonstrated)." - so, 20 HRs, 80 RBIs, and great defense is considered bad to you?

"I just hope he performs like '04 or '10. If he performs like the other 11 years he's played, it will have been a big waste of money." - Guess who again?

"I never mentioned contract seasons. You're thinking of someone else." - see YOUR above post

Any of this ring a bell for you?

I'm not looking for anyone to eat crow. I just hope all of you negative Rangers fans now realize the type of player you signed. Whether or not he hits 40 HRs and 120 RBIs, he is and will continue to be a valuable part of your team.

All those comments you posted of mine are true. I said them and I stand by them. What you are doing is puting words in there that I did not say. I never said he was a cancer, and only one of the quotes you posted implied that he might be. I also never said he was a contract year player. Someone did say that, and I disagree with them too....but you're implying based on assumptions that Ranger fans in general were saying all those things. It's simply not true.

BTW...drama queen has basis in fact. Sugar britches is just mean...lol JK.