2011 HOF Inductees

topher805

Roberto Alomar 90% (523 votes) and Bert Blyleven 79.7% (463 votes) are the only inductees of 2011. Both very deserving.

Notable players not making the cut (Must receive 75% of the votes to be inducted): Barry Larkin 62.1% (361 votes); Jeff Bagwell 41.7% (242 votes); Edgar Martinez 32.9% (191 votes); Larry Walker 20.3% (118 votes); Mark McGwire 19.8% (115 votes); Don Mattingly 13.6% (79 votes); Rafael Palmeiro 11% (64 votes); Juan Gonzalez 5.2% (30 votes).

Opinions?

I was surprised to see McGwire's percentage drop. Last year he was around 23% and then gave his admission of guilt and came back to baseball, only to see him slip further away. Next year's class of first ballot players is pretty weak so I wouldn't be surprised to see people like Larkin, Bagwell, and maybe Raines slipping into the Hall.

166129_494546889865_321769914865_5883663

I am sorry ... I just can't be a part of the feel-good Blyleven Crusade gang. He is NOT one of the absolute greatest pitchers of all-time. Now other "not quite great" pitchers like Mickey Lolich, Jim Kaat and Jack Morris all have an argument for induction.

AGAIN -- sorry to rain on his parade, but the HOF slips more toward the Hall Of The Very, Very Good more and more each year.

[END RANT]

Edgar Martinez' low percentage is an interesting case study of the BBWAA's opinion of the DH :hmm:

165261_485650329332_748014332_5631342_51

I hope none of the Roid Era players ever grace the HOF. I would rather it be the Hall of the very good, than allow them to be in. I do agree with Cheapy on Edgar. He may not have been able to play the field, but if any DH goes in it should be him. His stats should get him in. You can tell that he never took roids, because his home run stats never fluctuated that much. His high for home runs was 37. His last 4 years can be somewhat discounted, and watered down his stats. However, those were the highest paying years of his career.

Don't look for the "Roid Era riders" to ever get in. If anyone, based on their play, deserves to get in, shouldn't it be Pete Rose? Don't see it happening...

Will never waiver from my stance which is "if Pete goes in so does Shoeless Joe !!' And yes, I disagree with Cheapy's stance on Blyleven as Bert played on a lot of average to below average teams. His 60 shutouts and 3701 strikeouts along with his WHIP of 1.198 supports his vote total and election.

Blyleven pitched for some terrible teams.

I have never been a proponent of that argument ... it seems to me that a true Hall Of Fame pitcher would have a winning percentage significantly higher than that of the "terrible" teams for which he played (see: Walter Johnson and Tom Seaver). :unsure:

There is a reason why Blyleven waited 14 years of eligibility for induction -- there was plenty of doubt about him -- and there should be no doubt as to whether or not a player is a Hall Of Famer.

ESPN's Rob Parker agrees with me

Oh, well ... there will be a 4th HOF flag flying at the Ballpark. Perhaps the Rangers will consider raising flags for Ted Williams, Whitey Herzog & Rich Gossage, too.

165277_485750414332_748014332_5632950_76

There is a reason why Blyleven waited 14 years of eligibility for induction

I guess that's reason why he waited 14 years to get in is the same reason that Dave Parker, Dale Murphy, Alan Trammell, Donnie Baseball and Jack Morris are still "waiting". The voters change their minds and votes probably because they are all "human" and can be swayed by the sentiment of the day...........who knows. I am not a "shrink"......although I played one on TV once. The great minds of the baseball writers of America have spoken and there is no appeals court here. That is all.

Alomar deserved it despite the Hirchsbeck incident. Blyleven-ugh. You pitch as long as him you should have high numbers like him & Tommy John. Edgar Martinez & Barry Larkin are the only 2 true HOF'ers I see in the top 17. Larry Walker, Lee Smith, Tim Raines, Fred McGriff, Jeff Bagwell- Hall of Very Good Players. McGwire & Palmeiro- put them in the freak show out back of Cooperstown.

I guess that's reason why he waited 14 years to get in is .......... The voters change their minds and votes probably because they are all "human" and can be swayed by the sentiment of the day...........who knows.

If there is any doubt, then a player does not belong in the Hall Of Fame ... it should not be a 13-15-year thought process, it is a simple YES or NO question.

Sympathy votes have KILLED the Hall Of Fame :no:

I must have this shirt.

...and this MUST be on Blyleven's HOF plaque:

Had a penchant for flatulence that matched no other player of his era

^ not every Major Leaguer is "great" ... no matter how many stats they collected.

Bert Blyleven had a SOLID career, but not a "HALL OF FAME" career (IMHO)

• He did not dominate his era
  • He was never an ace of a staff for an extended period of time
  • He finished in the Top 5 of Cy Young voting only once: 3rd place in 1984 (45 votes)