Question for Texas Exes

USNDocOfMarines

I'm getting out of the Navy, after 6 years, this summer, and I'm considering applying to The University of Texas at Austin to further my education. I'm just not sure what all the application process intails and what I need to do. I'm thinking of pursuing a degree in Athletic Training, then again I'm still very undecided. I have always been a big fan of the Longhorns and I figure if the government is going to pay for my college, why not try to go to my dream school? Any advice, information, or insight about UT from someone who went there, or just knows a great deal about it would be very helpful! Thanks!

Good luck man! I'm glad you get to go to your dream school, even if it is t.u. ;). Only kidding. What sort of job field will you be looking into entering?

Also, it may be different since the government is paying for it, but I know when I applied to college it was at applytexas.com

Now this could be totally different for you, but I guess that's a start. I go to A&M though, so you probably will consider my opinion void :P

Also, you might could send lhornfan a pm. Him being an ex he might know something helpful.

Its ok. Aggies are people too. haha.

I'm looking at being a trainer for high school athletics. I'm a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy, so I already know quite a bit about the medical field and I figured that its probably a good idea to stay in the field. Since I love sports, I thought it would be fun to be the medical guy for a sports team.

I'm getting out of the Navy, after 6 years, this summer, and I'm considering applying to The University of Texas at Austin to further my education. I'm just not sure what all the application process intails and what I need to do. I'm thinking of pursuing a degree in Athletic Training, then again I'm still very undecided. I have always been a big fan of the Longhorns and I figure if the government is going to pay for my college, why not try to go to my dream school? Any advice, information, or insight about UT from someone who went there, or just knows a great deal about it would be very helpful! Thanks!

Excellent! Glad you're going to get to come home!!!!!

Two things... my sister went to UT Tyler to finish up her nursing degree, and then to get her whatever it is right below a doctor.... she loved it, and is making bukoos of money.

As far as the athletic trainer... young'un was thinking about going into that. We were advised one thing, to offset you from the rest of the crowd... Dallas and bigger towns will hold all sorts of seminars of doing this and that... some courses are like 4-6 weeks long, but you get a certificate, and having those certificates are EXTREMELY important, and set you apart from the rest, when applying for jobs.

Depending on whether you want to use your skills at schools or somewhere else, talk to folks that are IN those fields, see where they went to school, etc. - what problems they have, etc., etc. I know there is a personal trainer at Good Shepherd's work-out place, that is out of this world. His name is Jamie and is doing pretty darned good.

On another note, if I might suggest something, there is a job called a perfusionist. I think there's only one place in Texas to take it, and it's a bugger getting in...they run the heart and lung machines, but as an independent contractor, you bring in $500 per day, plus expenses. Now imagine working oh, 5-7 days a month. LOL!

My son has a friend that is a trainer for the Rangers and he makes bukoos. He got a big bonus each time they advanced in the play-offs. Good luck Doc! I know there are some SDC members that currently have children at UT that could help you out. Doesn't one of the "buckeyes" have a daughter there?

Guest Pigskincrazy
Don't know if you'd be interested... but don't they have an A&M branch up in Texarkana?

I know of the campus in Commerce, which isn't Texarkana, but thats the only one up that way that comes to mind.