RIP Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters- Band of Brothers

Hookemhorns88

I recognize that this is a bit tardy but it was only announced publically yesterday that retired Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters passed away on January 2, 2011.

Winters was a private and humble man that rose to notoriety through the HBO series "Band of Brothers" of which he was the central character. I highly recommend the series and his autobiography "Beyond the Band of Brothers" plus any of his interviews are worth listening to also. Quite a man. He epitomizes what it means to be a leader. All of the those that he served with and under him give him nothing but the highest of respect. Yet another member of the "Greatest Generation" has passed.

Now Major Winters was a TRUE HERO (along with the rest of the "band") and if you folks have never read his autobiography (or even the "Band of Brothers" book) you should. I've read both along with owning the HBO series on DVD.

I guess I will have to put down my 6th book on Bonnie & Clyde (since the week before Christmas) and re-read Major Winters' book. Great read & very, very humbling when you consider what that generation went through.

R.I.P. Major Winters. You ARE a true American hero!

• 1 year later...