Would you tolerate this?

sharkb8er

Although I've addressed this some time ago, this lastest article has rekindled old feelings. Ya'll help me out on this one and tell me if I'm an over zealous homer. The local paper reported on a local high school basketball game. Although the local team was victorious, this was the headline, "Cold-shooting Leopards edge Gladewater, 77-76." With an opening sentence, "If Liberty-Eylau’s boys had been standing on the bank at Lake Wright Patman Friday they couldn’t have got the ball wet." Is this type of reporting acceptable in your area? I personally believe that this is a horribly negative spin and this particular school and student body deserve better. :thumbdown:

1-11

2-10

0-8

0-1

1-1

3-6

3-4

Individual FT shooting stats from maxpreps.com

Not going to debate opinions. Some would not consider 77 points "cold," or "not able to hit the water." Guess it's really derogatory toward their opponents in that regard.

Check the January 15 Cheers and Jeers.

Unfortunately I have children that attend LE and will be subjected to this sort of publicity. I'm just wondering why Liberty Eylau has tolerated this for so long. I would be tickled to see the response from other schools in the area if they received the same write-ups.

Although I've addressed this some time ago, this lastest article has rekindled old feelings. Ya'll help me out on this one and tell me if I'm an over zealous homer. The local paper reported on a local high school basketball game. Although the local team was victorious, this was the headline, "Cold-shooting Leopards edge Gladewater, 77-76." With an opening sentence, "If Liberty-Eylau's boys had been standing on the bank at Lake Wright Patman Friday they couldn't have got the ball wet." Is this type of reporting acceptable in your area? I personally believe that this is a horribly negative spin and this particular school and student body deserve better. :thumbdown:

Typical Louie....LE's people have never liked the way he has reported on LE games, but the rest of Texarkana loves him and wants him to continue reporting on LE games.

Could be they are worried he might get reassigned to report their school sports, so it is better to keep him covering LE's sports and not derogatory to their kids.

I have heard Louie on the local sports talk radio and I do not question his support of LE athletics. I have read the LE complaints about Louie on this site for several years. My observations are:

1) While a supporter of the program, he is still a reporter and he writes objectively.

2) Texarkana is very lucky that the local paper has one sports reporter for each "in-town" school in Texarkana. Many schools (especially at the 3A level) share a "primary" reporter.

3) Some folks are do not live in the LE district but have an interest in what is happening in area schools. I want to get a "third person" report on the event, not a cheerleader rendition. After I witness a game, I always enjoy reading the newspaper account to see if we saw the same game. I often find myself watching a different game that what is being shouted from the stands.

If he was referring to FT shooting of 24.4%, I think he painted the picture.

I have heard Louie on the local sports talk radio and I do not question his support of LE athletics. I have read the LE complaints about Louie on this site for several years. My observations are:

1) While a supporter of the program, he is still a reporter and he writes objectively. I disagree, but that is just my opinion, if he is a supporter of the program it seems he goes out of his way to cover it in his writings.

2) Texarkana is very lucky that the local paper has one sports reporter for each "in-town" school in Texarkana. Many schools (especially at the 3A level) share a "primary" reporter. I agree that Texarkana is lucky to have a sports reporter for each team in Texarkana. If you was given the power to decide which reporter would be the primary reporter for T-High would you pick Louie or would you want to stay with who you have?

3) Some folks are do not live in the LE district but have an interest in what is happening in area schools. I want to get a "third person" report on the event, not a cheerleader rendition. After I witness a game, I always enjoy reading the newspaper account to see if we saw the same game. I often find myself watching a different game that what is being shouted from the stands. I can agreee with wanting to get a "third person" report of the event and not a cheerleader rendition, but I would like the third person report to be accurate and not opinionated.....my best example is still the LE-Gilmer playoff game in '06...and the "Christmas Miracle" article he wrote. LE beat a great team when they beat Gilmer, but the "third person" report that was in the paper was that LE got lucky and did not deserve to win the game, and further more all the accolades went to the Gilmer team. I was not shocked that LE won that game, I had heard all the hoopla about Gilmer all season and during LE's open week went and watched them play Mineola, and left that game confident that LE would beat Gilmer...so the miracle article bugged the hades out of me that he in his "third person non cheerleadeer rendition" took all the hard work that the players and coaches put into that game and he decided that it was just a miracle that LE could possibly beat a team as great as the Gilmer Buckeyes!!!

If he was referring to FT shooting of 24.4%, I think he painted the picture. LE scored 77points...what picture did he paint with LE couldnt get the ball wet if they was standing on the banks of wright patman????

The boxscore on maxpreps says that L-E made 32 field goals, and the article from the paper says that "counting free throws the Leopards took over 100 shots". Over 100 is pretty open-ended, but I think we can assume that it must have been near 100, because it would be odd to in this case describe, say, 172 as "over 100", though literally true. So, subtracting the 41 free throw attempts from "over 100", we get an approximate number of field goal attempts of "over 60". 32 divided by "over 60" is something approaching 50% from the floor!

In conclusion, for greatest precision the line should have been something like "If a free throw stripe had been painted on the bank at Lake Wright Patman Friday, the Liberty-Eylau Leopards couldn't have got the ball wet."

:whome:

Don't have a dog in the fight, but as an outside observer, those comments seem pretty harmless. He's not personally denigrating any of the players, nor questioning their heart, etc. He's saying they had a cold night. Not very creative writing, but a little more interesting than your typical game report. Maybe some need to lighten up?

"If he was referring to FT shooting of 24.4%, I think he painted the picture. LE scored 77points...what picture did he paint with LE couldnt get the ball wet if they was standing on the banks of wright patman????"

I wish the whole story was printed & not one line. I noted in the line score that Liberty Eylau had an 11 point lead entering the 4th quarter and held on to win by one. First of all the only thing that matters is the final score.

I suspect that Gladewater lengthened the game in the 4th quarter by fouling LE and LE had difficulty converting their free throws. I wish the whole story was printed to put the complaint in context.

I suspect both Texas High and LE will be getting new beat writers in the next several years. Nothing is going to change, so need to just chill.

It is possible to be cold shooting and still win. Without debating whether 77 points is cold, I do think it is okay to report cold shooting. How politically correct do we all have to be? The world is going to roll these kids if this article is a problem for them. I bet it's not really a problem for them and they will just work harder to shoot better next time. They're probably not as whiny as their fans.

Louie is the biggest LE fan i have ever been around, and everybody knows it.. I wouldnts say he is dogging them by writting something like that, because he stands up for them more times than not. Kind of like a "dad figure" to LE sports, he is quick to tell you when your wrong or bad, and when you do good, or ok at all really, he throws a huge picture in the middle of the paper and writes a 3 page report

personally, i will never read one of Louie's comments.. he is baised and doesnt taken anything else into account other the LE sports.. Jonny Green is the best ive seen in a while

I knew there would be plenty of people that would defend Louie. Curious,,,,,, of all the pro Louie peeps, how many of yall are LE fans, students, or alumni????

Didn't the t-high boys recently play a game where they scored less than 40 pts. Where was the factual, third party report on that one????

Didn't the t-high boys recently play a game where they scored less than 40 pts. Where was the factual, third party report on that one????

Yes and they lost with 2 seconds left in the game blowing a 10 pt lead. I watched the game with Mt Pleasant that MP won 35-34. It wasn't that either team couldn't hit the pond at Spring Lake Park, it was a defensive game. Mt Pleasant had a small team that swarmed the ball. Texas High had length that Sulphur had trouble getting shots off over. Both teams played hard and it was a contrast in styles.

Johnny Green wrote an article in the Saturday about the game. It was on the front page of the Gazette Sports section. The game had meaning in that it was for the lead in the district.

I am not sure what Texas High scoring 34 points and a line written by Avery (I suspect taken out of context in this thread) have to do with each other.

Please don't spin this thread into a Texas High v Liberty Eylau thing. Can you post the article so we can read with our our own eyes to get the proper context. The game was played over a week ago and I have thrown out the paper.

I am a follower of UT basketball but the last couple of years the free throw shooting has been a detriment. Louie's comment would be appropriate after many of their games.