Fouls in the box

tightlines24

Any thoughts on this situation. I certainly do not want to see a bunch of PK's being awarded to any team, mine included. But I am so sick of refs letting defensive players and keepers get away with murder in the box only to have offesive players blown for fouls just by touching a defender. I say be consistant to all players in the box. If its dang near impossible to give up a PK then it should be dang near impossible to make an offesive foul in the box.

Usually the refs don't give a PK if it's a close game for something as little as a trip or shoulder to shoulder. Or if the keeper goes to ground for a ball and takes out the forward. Another thing they consider is the size of the players involved. If a 5'5 forward bodies up against a 6' defender and flops on the ground like a fish, chances are it wasn't because of something illegal, the kid is just little. It is true though, defenders tend to get away with more than the attacking player. But if they called every single foul that took place in the box wouldn't it be like playing tennis with the net down? On the other hand, if it's studs up or knees to the chest and the ref doesn't call it, REGARDLESS of whether they got the ball first... that ref should be stoned!

Usually the refs don't give a PK if it's a close game for something as little as a trip or shoulder to shoulder. Or if the keeper goes to ground for a ball and takes out the forward. Another thing they consider is the size of the players involved. If a 5'5 forward bodies up against a 6' defender and flops on the ground like a fish, chances are it wasn't because of something illegal, the kid is just little. It is true though, defenders tend to get away with more than the attacking player. But if they called every single foul that took place in the box wouldn't it be like playing tennis with the net down? On the other hand, if it's studs up or knees to the chest and the ref doesn't call it, REGARDLESS of whether they got the ball first... that ref should be stoned!

Totally legal. - the way it should be done.

The corollary to the original posters comments would be a thread about referees deciding games. I find it amazing the amount of flopping that goes on in the box.

Totally legal. - the way it should be done.

The corollary to the original posters comments would be a thread about referees deciding games. I find it amazing the amount of flopping that goes on in the box.

Yeah shoulder to shoulder is legal. But to people in the stands who see their poor Johnny get pushed across the 18 it looks like a foul. When all it really is is just a lack of Wheaties.

• 1 month later...

I have watched several matches where it was shoulder to shoulder and one player gets blown off the ball, the ref calls a foul, and we are sitting there going "what the ####, that samething just happened to the other guy and you called nothing." Size does matter. I had three 6 footers and everytime the ball came near them in the air, arms are down and go straight up for ball, they get called for the foul.

"

QUOTE (bordertown @ Feb 22 2011, 08:40 AM) Totally legal. - the way it should be done.

Yeah shoulder to shoulder is legal. But to people in the stands who see their poor Johnny get pushed across the 18 it looks like a foul. When all it really is is just a lack of Wheaties.

I have watched several matches where it was shoulder to shoulder and one player gets blown off the ball, the ref calls a foul, and we are sitting there going "what the ####, that samething just happened to the other guy and you called nothing." Size does matter. I had three 6 footers and everytime the ball came near them in the air, arms are down and go straight up for ball, they get called for the foul.

"

This is not directed at referees, but at Parents / Fans...

CLUMSY is NOT a FOUL!

Just because little Johnny goes down, does not mean there was a foul.

I hear too many cries of "foul", when what happened was a legal shoulder charge, or the kid tripped over the ball, or his own feet.

I am not saying all calls are correct, any ref knows they will miss some calls, nobody's perfect.

Just that when a person is watching a game, what they perceive is dependant on HOW they watch the game.

I saw a playoff game in which I knew very few little of the teams. Saw an unbiased version, as I had not dog in the fight.

You can really tell who the Whiners are, or get an idea of the referee quality then.

If I am watching my son on his team play, I do nopt see all the offside calls and fouls, because I am watching HIM.

As a Coach, I saw a different game, because I focused on the Team, not the player or the match.

As a Referee, I see a COMPLETELY different game than when I watch for pleasure.

Perspective...in the eyes of the beholder.

• 1 month later...

I am not calling a foul unless I am FOR SURE I see a foul. Dont want refs deciding the game if you can.

First few years I started coaching I didnt ref but when I became a ref I saw the game totally different

• 2 months later...

There were 3 fouls in the Area last night committed against the US by Mexico. I don't like refs "deciding the game" any more than anyone else, but I think cheating is another matter entirely. Also, the take down denying the US a goal scoring opportunity was blatant, and a terrible call. Ref issues a YC, when the ONLY choices are No Call, or Straight Red. Nothing in-between on this one.

There were 3 fouls in the Area last night committed against the US by Mexico. I don't like refs "deciding the game" any more than anyone else, but I think cheating is another matter entirely. Also, the take down denying the US a goal scoring opportunity was blatant, and a terrible call. Ref issues a YC, when the ONLY choices are No Call, or Straight Red. Nothing in-between on this one.

Not sure why the red card wasnt shown. Saw the foul on donavan after the goal and not sure why PK wasnt called.

Even the Univision commentators were surprised it wasn't a red...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very tough cause at the end of the day its up to the ref...I agree though, should be less lee way to defenders and goalkeepers...a foul is a foul and if it they foul a striker in the box then its a penalty - those are the rules after all!!

+1