Dunking during Pregame/Halftime when Refs are Out

InTheHouse

What a game last night. Congratulations to the Lindale Eagles for beating Ferris 62-59. I have a rule question.....

In the pregame warmup, one of the Lindale players dunked the basketball while the referees where on the court. Once I saw the dunk, I immediately looked to see if the ref saw it, and I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see how he missed it.

And, during halftime, one of the Ferris players dunked the basektball and continued to hang on the rim, while turning around and waving to the crowd and bench while still hanging from the rim. The refs were out and even one ref told him to get down.

What's the rule? I always thought it was a technical foul and team shooting gets the ball.

I'm not sure if the pregame dunk was witnessed by the ref, but I'm 100% certain the halftime dunk was.

In the past it was mainly due to what tenonetempo said: breakaway rims were scarce and many schools didn't have a replacement.

Now, I believe it is up to the refs discretion if there needs to be a technical foul assessed. Personally, I think it needs to be universal. Either you give the tech, or you don't. However, some refs are exactly like tenonetempo again, they like to see them do it during pre-game or halftime warm-ups.

What a game last night. Congratulations to the Lindale Eagles for beating Ferris 62-59. I have a rule question.....

In the pregame warmup, one of the Lindale players dunked the basketball while the referees where on the court. Once I saw the dunk, I immediately looked to see if the ref saw it, and I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see how he missed it.

And, during halftime, one of the Ferris players dunked the basektball and continued to hang on the rim, while turning around and waving to the crowd and bench while still hanging from the rim. The refs were out and even one ref told him to get down.

What's the rule? I always thought it was a technical foul and team shooting gets the ball.

I'm not sure if the pregame dunk was witnessed by the ref, but I'm 100% certain the halftime dunk was.

I was at the game last night and I never saw a dunk during the pregame while the officials were out there. I did see one Ferris player during halftime reach up and grasp the rim, however, he never waved to the crowd or bench. I thought the officiating was excellent last night.

By the way the fouls were called in Gladewater last night, It was obvious that Wo was going to be called for everything. Thought they might get the cheer leaders for being on the floor after a time out ended! Cheap call for pregrame, plus it was packed, loud and the whistle barely blew when they walked out.

NHF rule dunking is not allowed.

This is why officals always blow there whistle when they enter the court area.

Technical foul. Technical foul. A player or a coach can commit this type of foul. It does not involve player contact or the ball but is instead about the 'manners' of the game. Foul language, obscenity, obscene gestures, and even arguing can be considered a technical foul, as can technical details regarding filling in the scorebook improperly, dunking during warm-ups, halftime, or dead ball situations.

If the officials did not see it. they cannot call it. If they did see it and not call it, that is poor officating. I know most officals hate to make this call. It has been called several times this year in East Texas.

I also do not like the rule.

NHF rule dunking is not allowed.

This is why officals always blow there whistles when they enter the court area.

Technical foul. Technical foul. A player or a coach can commit this type of foul. It does not involve player contact or the ball but is instead about the 'manners' of the game. Foul language, obscenity, obscene gestures, and even arguing can be considered a technical foul, as can technical details regarding filling in the scorebook improperly, dunking during warm-ups, halftime, or dead ball situations.

If the officials did not see it. they cannot call it. If they did see it and not call it, that is poor officating. I know most officals hate to make this call. It has been called several times this year in East Texas.

You are right coach about the NFHS rule. It is also a NCAA rule. Maybe the weakest rule in all of sports.

I also do not like the rule.

knightnation...take it easy. I totally agree and wasn't "crying" about it not being called. All I observed last night was that 2 dunks were made during non-game situations and I'm 100% certain one of the dunks was witnessed by the ref.

I was confused and uncertain if this case was an actual rule or was it one of those rules that ignorant basketball fans always scream from the stands...."Over the Back, ref!!!" We both know, there is no such rule as over the back listed in any rule book.

knightnation...take it easy. I totally agree and wasn't "crying" about it not being called. All I observed last night was that 2 dunks were made during non-game situations and I'm 100% certain one of the dunks was witnessed by the ref.

I was confused and uncertain if this case was an actual rule or was it one of those rules that ignorant basketball fans always scream from the stands...."Over the Back, ref!!!" We both know, there is no such rule as over the back listed in any rule book.

What makes you think that I am not taking it easy? I just think you exaggerated some of the events. Such as hanging from the rim and looking up in the stands and at the bench. The kid might have grasped the rim and dropped down there was no ball involved just a kid being a kid. Nothing unsportsmanlike whatsoever. If the officials would have assessed a technical foul in that situation it would of ruined a great game. JMO

The pregame dunk may get the players/crowd excited, but how often is the chance to dunk in a game? Think that a little more time at free throw line may be more appropriate use of time, as #30 of Kountze did last night in pregame. After Crockett went into the locker room before tipoff, this incredibly talented player took some extra free throw time on the Crockett end of the court.

Maybe for this rule to make sense, we should think bigger than White Oak or Teneha, Texas. For just a minute...imagine a game between SOC and Dunbar. A game where nearly every kid can dunk instead of two players from each side. Envision these two rivals taking the floor and the begin to try to "one-up" each other with some crowd pleasing dunks. All of a sudden, something is mouthed or gestured and with emotions running high...it's on. Maybe in this scenario--we can see that pregame dunking could cause some problems. The older I get, the less I understand why all of the "gamesmanship" is encouraged. I miss the days when players played games for fun and when good sportsmanship was the norm and not the exception.

If you get a tech for dunking during pre-game it is becuase you broke the rule (whether one thinks it is a silly rule or important to sportsmen ship it is a rule that does not ask you to do anything immoral so follow it) then you gotta pay that price. Now if you see another person get away with breaking a rule once does not mean you will get away with it.

OTBS WROTE.....Maybe for this rule to make sense, we should think bigger than White Oak or Teneha, Texas. For just a minute...imagine a game between SOC and Dunbar. A game where nearly every kid can dunk instead of two players from each side. Envision these two rivals taking the floor and the begin to try to "one-up" each other with some crowd pleasing dunks. All of a sudden, something is mouthed or gestured and with emotions running high...it's on. Maybe in this scenario--we can see that pregame dunking could cause some problems. The older I get, the less I understand why all of the "gamesmanship" is encouraged. I miss the days when players played games for fun and when good sportsmanship was the norm and not the exception. ....

But what about this..Imagine a game between Krum and Peaster and in the pre game warm up they are getting the crowd all hyped by shooting free throws and 3 pt shots and all a sudden something is mouthed like..My daddy has a better JD Tractor than yours or maybe the ole Ford is better than Chevy. That would really cause a rucous...

Hilarious posts guys.

Maybe this crazy rule that is never called is because when an East Texas team makes it to the Regional tournament and faces one of the Dallas teams. The ET team has 1, maybe 2 guys, that can barely flush the ball over the rim and the Dallas team has their 3rd string players throwing the ball up off the backboard, catching it in mid air, tomahawking it down while the backboard violently shakes for 5 or 6 seconds.

It's a crazy rule and I've always hated it. I'm glad it wasn't called.

If this is the rule in basketball then you arda not be able to do hitting drills in pre-game in football. When you are taking the field before a baseball game if a batter hits it over the fence then you start the game with an automatic out. You know...it should be consistent. Whats yalls thoughts?

Hilarious posts guys.

Maybe this crazy rule that is never called is because when an East Texas team makes it to the Regional tournament and faces one of the Dallas teams. The ET team has 1, maybe 2 guys, that can barely flush the ball over the rim and the Dallas team has their 3rd string players throwing the ball up off the backboard, catching it in mid air, tomahawking it down while the backboard violently shakes for 5 or 6 seconds.

It's a crazy rule and I've always hated it. I'm glad it wasn't called.

Great stuff guys especially the one about the officials being jealous cause they can't dunk.

What's the big deal, I say" let them get after it and have fun, the more the better, who cares if they are drinking before the game , halftime or whatever, what do the refs have to do with it, maybe they should join in also". Oops, my bad, eyes are getting bad in my old age, thought the post said drinking, not dunking. Of course they should not be dunking, don't these kids have any discipline these days.

So dunking means anti discipline?? Wow..Did not know that. When I used to have to coach basketball we would just have our kids go out there and play knock out for 5 minutes and then spend the rest of the time working on our half court shots. Whoever made the first half court shot was the captain for the game. whoever made the most half court shots in that alloted time was our go to guy if..IF we needed a half court shot to win the game at the end.