Tatum vs Melissa

Eagleborn

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zone? whats that?

Why do teams do that? Play only one type of defense? It is just not Tatum but a lot of teams have gone to "just press". What happens when you come across a team that can beat the press? What then? Keep on pressing?

Melissa will beat the press. Will beat the press all night.

There is only one reason a team does not play zone defense. Lazy.

Why do teams do that? Play only one type of defense? It is just not Tatum but a lot of teams have gone to "just press". What happens when you come across a team that can beat the press? What then? Keep on pressing?

If you're lazy on defense, nothing you run will work. If you work hard on defense, then most everything you run works assuming you have the correct personnel.

Teams play what best fits them... In your face D fits Tatum..

Hopefully Melissa wont beat the press all day when it matters..

I can tell you have not seen Tatum play.

Having seen Tatum and Melissa play here is my assessment:

Melissa's fastest player is not in the top 6 of tatums fastest. Tatum is freakishly fast. I don't think Melissa will struggle with the press so much as just getting back on defense after missed shots. I think that is the one area where tatum's speed will help them. Melissa is an all around better basketball team though and will create some serious matchup problems for tatum. Melissa's halfcourt def. is suffocating and if Tatum doesn't get an early lay-up then they will just do what they always do and jack up a 3. Don't expect a lot of off. rebounds on those either b/c of how well Melissa boxes out. I think the percentage of those 3's that go in will decide if Tatum pulls off the win. If they are making it rain, they've got a great chance to win. If not, I say Melissa wins by 13.

Having seen Tatum and Melissa play here is my assessment:

Melissa's fastest player is not in the top 6 of tatums fastest. Tatum is freakishly fast. I don't think Melissa will struggle with the press so much as just getting back on defense after missed shots. I think that is the one area where tatum's speed will help them. Melissa is an all around better basketball team though and will create some serious matchup problems for tatum. Melissa's halfcourt def. is suffocating and if Tatum doesn't get an early lay-up then they will just do what they always do and jack up a 3. Don't expect a lot of off. rebounds on those either b/c of how well Melissa boxes out. I think the percentage of those 3's that go in will decide if Tatum pulls off the win. If they are making it rain, they've got a great chance to win. If not, I say Melissa wins by 13.

Good stuff... Thanks for the input.

If you're getting your hopes up that Tatum is going to sit back and play zone at any point during the game, and Melissa is just going to get wide open looks at 3 then you're completely mistaken. Melissa will have to earn every open shot they get against an intense, "in your face", man-to-man D that Tatum brings to the court. Teams that rely strictly on 3-point shooting don't fair very well against Tatum. Just saying.

And there's absolutely nothing lazy about not playing zone. It takes much more effort to play man to man defense. I'm assuming you haven't seen Tatum play.

Again, No I haven't seen Tatum play. But have seen Tatum style basketball a lot over the last several years. Not saying the kids are lazy for playing man to man. Lazy in the fact that they are not taught how to play other types of defenses.

It is obivious that you have not seen Melissa play either if you think they depend on the three to win. They don't. They will "outrun" Tatum, but do it in a different way.

Webb will eat the "in your face defense" up.

Just enjoy what you are going to see tomorrow morning.

Again, No I haven't seen Tatum play. But have seen Tatum style basketball a lot over the last several years. Not saying the kids are lazy for playing man to man. Lazy in the fact that they are not taught how to play other types of defenses.

It is obivious that you have not seen Melissa play either if you think they depend on the three to win. They don't. They will "outrun" Tatum, but do it in a different way.

Webb will eat the "in your face defense" up.

Just enjoy what you are going to see tomorrow morning.

Saying that you've seen Tatum's style becuase they play man to man defense is absurd. There is a difference when its done right...

Secondly calling the players lazy becuase they aren't taught how to play other types of defenses is just crazy! Lazy coaches are the ones that run zone all day long! A good man-to-man defense takes years to perfect, they've been learning this stuff since middle school! Just becuase you tell them to run man-to-man is different than running it to perfection (in which Tatum will do). A

Knowing coach Carr, Tatum knows how to run every defense you can think of Box & 1, 2-3, and Man to Man ; not to mention multiple in your face press's that he can throw at you.

I hope you enjoy what you see tommorrow too, but don't call the coaches lazy for only teaching man, that is ludicrous!

Should be good tomorrow.

Tried to find common opponents between these two.

Tatum beat New Waverly by 19.

Hearne beat New Waverly by 16.

Italy beat Hearne by 18.

Melissa beat Italy by 32.

*Not a reflection of how the game will turn out.

Saying that you've seen Tatum's style becuase they play man to man defense is absurd. There is a difference when its done right...

Secondly calling the players lazy becuase they aren't taught how to play other types of defenses is just crazy! Lazy coaches are the ones that run zone all day long! A good man-to-man defense takes years to perfect, they've been learning this stuff since middle school! Just becuase you tell them to run man-to-man is different than running it to perfection (in which Tatum will do). A

Knowing coach Carr, Tatum knows how to run every defense you can think of Box & 1, 2-3, and Man to Man ; not to mention multiple in your face press's that he can throw at you.

I hope you enjoy what you see tommorrow too, but don't call the coaches lazy for only teaching man, that is ludicrous!

What would you call it then if a coach only plays one time of game? If a team is able to beat the press and the man to man defense to get a lead what do you do? Keep playing the same time of ball that got you in the defecit?

Sounds like Tatum knows how to play other defenses.

Melissa won't be near as fast as Tatum, but Melissa will out run them.