Lake Highlands defeats Samuell baseball by 50-plus runs

Guest 4to3

How come nobody gets bent out of shape with this like they do in Football or Basketball? I mean if you score 54 times on somebody in football that score is 324 - 0 and thats not even kicking the xtra points thats just counting the 54 x6. I mean if you beat somebody 81 - 0 in football people are crying and throwing fits. An 81 -0 score in FB just translates as a 9-0 score in baseball. does not make sense to me.

How come nobody gets bent out of shape with this like they do in Football or Basketball? I mean if you score 54 times on somebody in football that score is 324 - 0 and thats not even kicking the xtra points thats just counting the 54 x6. I mean if you beat somebody 81 - 0 in football people are crying and throwing fits. An 81 -0 score in FB just translates as a 9-0 score in baseball. does not make sense to me.

Agree with you here....Coach Rush and the JT Lions were crucified on this site for being 'classless' for scoring late in a lopsided football victory this season but it in no way holds a candle to this ####....50 something to nothing in baseball isn't justifiable at all - what a load of steaming camel dung...

Heard they tried to stop it. UIL rule states you cant until after 5. The kids were just up there swinging that bat and getting basehits. Its not like they were stealing bases and doing hit and run plays. They only were advancing one base at a time as well. No coach in baseball tries to score 50 plus. Sometimes a team is so bad they have trouble getting kids out. This sport isnt like basketball or football where you can just let the clock run. So you cant really compare it to that.

Heard they tried to stop it. UIL rule states you cant until after 5. The kids were just up there swinging that bat and getting basehits. Its not like they were stealing bases and doing hit and run plays. They only were advancing one base at a time as well. No coach in baseball tries to score 50 plus. Sometimes a team is so bad they have trouble getting kids out. This sport isnt like basketball or football where you can just let the clock run. So you cant really compare it to that.

You can swing the bat three times behind a pitch...nine times and the side is out. In softball, a team just steps off the bag early. This is totally classless. The rule I go by is to never embarrass another kid. Beating a team by 50 is just embarrassing the other team.

Don't know why this is a topic. I have been apart of games that were in the 30's and 40's before on both sides the winning and losing side. Sometimes you just cant get an out. Baseball is not as controlled as football, basketball, and even softball. To be honest after some of those games we would always play our best the next couple of games. If I was on the other end I wouldnt tell the coach to stop playing. I would want to get the practice until the 5th anyways. For all we know the losing coach went and told the other coach to keep playing that his team needed the practice.

lots of ways to get out in baseball. this score is ridiculous and the winning coach should be ashamed. you could bunt with your foot on the plate, turn all your batters around and make them switch hit, whatever.

Exactly. Way too many ways to prevent this. Poor, poor sportsmanship and zero class.

Lake Highlands should be ashamed for putting up a score against a team that obviously does not have much in the area of baseball talent. Score by inning: 1)11 2)5 3)9 4)7 5)21 - that's right, 21 runs in the 5th inning. The Wildcats had one player bat 8 for 9 with 11 rbi. Their fans say it would have been disrespectful to Samuell or the game if they would have gotten an out on purpose. I've been in that situation when playing a team out of Houston in a tournament. Up by 20+ runs after the 3rd inning and realized that the other team had no chance to score runs, I had my players tell the umpire we were going to bunt and to watch our feet. The last six outs for our team were all bunts while stepping on the plate for an out. I didn't count the ABs against the players, and after the game, the other team's coach thanked me for getting them off the field. Honestly, I think the other team just wanted to get back to the motel and go swimming.

lh.jpg

I don't know exactly how i feel about this...on one hand this is varsity baseball but on the other i know this #### for the losing team.

Being in both situations to the losing team keep your head up and keep battling. Work hard so that this loss doesn't define your season.

To the winning team, move on don't allow this game to make you think your the best team in the world. Keep working hard cause now you have a target on your back.

As an umpire, I have gone to the winning coach when a game is in the 20 run range and said, "Coach, are you about done with batting practice and ready to start bunting practice?" I've never had a coach say no.

This is bad on every level.

As an umpire you should call the coaches to the plate and let them talk, but keep your 2 cents in your pocket.

To many umpires these days are trying to control the outcome of games and it is getting ridiculous. Kids can't figure out what is going to be a strike from game to game. Umpires watching the wrong things and missing calls.

It's a tough job, but if you have thin skin then go be a grumpy greeter at Wal-Mart not a grumpy umpire.

lots of ways to get out in baseball. this score is ridiculous and the winning coach should be ashamed. you could bunt with your foot on the plate, turn all your batters around and make them switch hit, whatever.

When I was a senior at Gladewater in 2004 we beat Sabine by a score of 33-3 and we were torn up just like Lake Highlands is now! We decided to just take one base at a time. That is the right thing to do! Its not Lake Highlands fault that Samuell can not field a baseball team. The Samuell Coach could have forfeited the game but he didnt. Sabine could have done the same thing...BUT THEY DIDNT!! As the leader of the Gladewater team back in '04 the Coach asked me if we should just strike out! I TOLD HIM THAT THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I WAS GOING TO SHOW MERCY BY STRIKING OUT!!!....That is not the way the game is to be played! We put 9 players in the field just like Sabine did. We beat the hell out of them and then shook their hands like gentlemen when it was over!! You win some and you lose some and sometimes it rains!!

Sometimes you can't just make an out. One game in particular we were blowing the other team out and our guys just could not miss. I told them to just hit the ball to someone and they would throw you out. Well the other team just could not field the ball. I did have guys get some outs by stepping on the plate to reach and hit the ball. It is sometimes hard to get out of innings without making it look like your giving it to them. The other coach and I had talked between innings and he knew and appreciated what we were doing. It is tough on both sides in games like these.

When I was a senior at Gladewater in 2004 we beat Sabine by a score of 33-3 and we were torn up just like Lake Highlands is now! We decided to just take one base at a time. That is the right thing to do! Its not Lake Highlands fault that Samuell can not field a baseball team. The Samuell Coach could have forfeited the game but he didnt. Sabine could have done the same thing...BUT THEY DIDNT!! As the leader of the Gladewater team back in '04 the Coach asked me if we should just strike out! I TOLD HIM THAT THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I WAS GOING TO SHOW MERCY BY STRIKING OUT!!!....That is not the way the game is to be played! We put 9 players in the field just like Sabine did. We beat the hell out of them and then shook their hands like gentlemen when it was over!! You win some and you lose some and sometimes it rains!!

And sometimes humility makes YOU the better man!

Look at the scores of some Lee-JT games over the last 10 years....while they are usually by more than 10 runs, they are never by hideous scores. Why?

Getting picked off 3rd isn't that hard to do....and everybody's daddy is happy that their baby's batting avg. didn't suffer by bunting into an out.(while gladly boasting about going 8-9 against kids throwing 55)

What good would it do if the coach forfeited? He would be giving up on his players and you can never do that as a coach. In a game like that you could work on bunting, base stealing, situational hitting, all kinds of things. If the other team still can't get you out then that's there own fault. I know for a fact though that you guys weren't doing that and it wasn't until yall were up by like 20 that yall stop taking the extra base. But you are right when the game was over everyone shook hands and it was over. On a side note the coach shouldn't ask the kids if they should strike out. What kid really wants to strike out?