Band Director changes

as to Glenn Wells/kilgore/CH---What I heard is that Kilgore has not had their official hiring meeting yet, which delays Glenn's resignation, which delays the job opening, etc, etc, etc.

Boards and districts should have weekly or at least bi-monthly hiring meetings this time of year. The clock is ticking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Haynie from Foster MS moved to Tenaha to be the assistant/ middle school director. Kim Mannual from Wills Point ISD will be replacing him at Foster. Judson MS is open.

Grapeland is now looking for a new band director. Kind of sad to see him go. Maybe a little off, and awkward socially, but he was able to help rebuild the band program. When he came there were around 12 people in the band, and their were over 30 in the band last year.

• 9 months later...

Driving through Queen City on Highway 59 this week, I saw a restaurant marquee that indicated that Chris Brannan is leaving Queen City High School.

Maybe he wants to see if he can make it with the big boys.

He resigned because the administration was going to downsize the band staff.

??? The school district as a whole is going through a reduction in force, as are numerous schools across the state. Athletics lost 4 coaches. Several teachers affected as well.

But how many, if any, from administration?

But how many, if any, from administration?

No idea. How many would you suggest? If each campus has a principal and an assistant principal don't think that would be the place to cut. Don't think there is an assistant sup, gotta have an superintendent. Most have a tech and curriculum director, QC's is a combined position I think.

No idea. How many would you suggest? If each campus has a principal and an assistant principal don't think that would be the place to cut. Don't think there is an assistant sup, gotta have an superintendent. Most have a tech and curriculum director, QC's is a combined position I think.

It's not my place to suggest a number. That's the job of the school board and superintendent.

But here's an idea.

Why not consolidate Queen City & Atlanta into one school district but retain the two separate high schools? The resulting entity would need only one school board and superintendent, while also eliminating the duplication of many expensive staff positions. This would allow the existing schools to maintain their identities, histories, and traditions, while saving hundreds of thousands in expenses - and in taxes.

Times are changing in public education. Maybe it's time to look at expense cuts from the top, rather than always from the bottom.

I don't know this of course, but I am not sure how Atlanta tax payers would feel with their property taxes going to Queen City for the maintenance of that school. I understand though the idea of sharing certain administrative positions. But I am not sure that is how it would end up. If you did that, the school of the district goes up and therefore administrative positions may possibly end up increasing anyway. Part of this reminds me of Conroe ISD considering passing a bond to build a second football stadium in The Woodlands to accomodate the 5 high schools they have. People in the south of the county(The Woodlands) were for it, the north part (Conroe and Caney Creek) opposed. Reason? North montgomery county didn't want to share tax dollars with south montgomery county for the building of a new stadium. It ended up passing with the help of Woodforest Bank as a sponsor.

It's not my place to suggest a number. That's the job of the school board and superintendent.

But here's an idea.

Why not consolidate Queen City & Atlanta into one school district but retain the two separate high schools? The resulting entity would need only one school board and superintendent, while also eliminating the duplication of many expensive staff positions. This would allow the existing schools to maintain their identities, histories, and traditions, while saving hundreds of thousands in expenses - and in taxes.

Times are changing in public education. Maybe it's time to look at expense cuts from the top, rather than always from the bottom.

Got me.

But they have a gigantic, palatial admin building and the parking lot usually seems pretty full.

Probably waaaay too many.

ATLISD has 3 Asst. Supers. - Student Services/Transportation, Director of Curriculum and District Finances/Business Operations. However, Atlanta is in MUCH better financial shape than Queen City I.S.D. because of having better financial planning, spending and overall management of funds and fund balance, which they have over $8,000,000 in reserves. Not to mention the $2,000,000+ worth of grant money, that has been used for district wide technology instead of using their own district money towards such things...no other district has the technology resources that ATLISD has, not even the larger 4A districts. Seems to be ATLISD is not the issue.

ATLISD has 3 Asst. Supers. - Student Services/Transportation, Director of Curriculum and District Finances/Business Operations. However, Atlanta is in MUCH better financial shape than Queen City I.S.D. because of having better financial planning, spending and overall management of funds and fund balance, which they have over $8,000,000 in reserves. Not to mention the $2,000,000+ worth of grant money, that has been used for district wide technology instead of using their own district money towards such things...no other district has the technology resources that ATLISD has, not even the larger 4A districts. Seems to be ATLISD is not the issue.

Gee, with $8,000,000 in reserves, maybe it's time to cut taxes.

I'm sure Atlanta taxpayers would appreciate it.