John Tyler Big Blue Band

cujoforlife

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would to see John Tyler get back to a 200 member band it was when i was there.

I saw JT last night at Region 21 and they were AWESOME. To say the least. Although they got robbed by the judges with a 2, whatever the new director and kids are doing there....KEEP IT UP. They had an amazing sound and good performance. I would love to see the judges' sheets on their performance to see just what "got" them the 2.

I saw JT last night at Region 21 and they were AWESOME. To say the least. Although they got robbed by the judges with a 2, whatever the new director and kids are doing there....KEEP IT UP. They had an amazing sound and good performance. I would love to see the judges' sheets on their performance to see just what "got" them the 2.

It's difficult for any core style band in region 21 to get a 1. When the region is primarily military style marching, the judging is one-sided and core bands must have a PERFECT performance to receive a 1. Region 21 directors are having a hard time seeing their military style of marching die, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. NONE of the military style bands that made 1s from region 21 or region 4 are attending Area Marching contest. They had every opportunity to go, but Region 21 directors realize that once they leave their little "East TX bubble" that they have no chance even ranking anywhere close to all of those AMAZING core style bands from Region 3.

I also applaud John Tyler. I was at the game the on Friday night, and they looked and sounded amazing on the field. Kudos to that team of directors and kids who are doing an amazing job. If that keeps up, in the future, those Region 21 contests will have no choice but to reward them a 1.

It's difficult for any core style band in region 21 to get a 1. When the region is primarily military style marching, the judging is one-sided and core bands must have a PERFECT performance to receive a 1. Region 21 directors are having a hard time seeing their military style of marching die, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. NONE of the military style bands that made 1s from region 21 or region 4 are attending Area Marching contest. They had every opportunity to go, but Region 21 directors realize that once they leave their little "East TX bubble" that they have no chance even ranking anywhere close to all of those AMAZING core style bands from Region 3.

I also applaud John Tyler. I was at the game the on Friday night, and they looked and sounded amazing on the field. Kudos to that team of directors and kids who are doing an amazing job. If that keeps up, in the future, those Region 21 contests will have no choice but to reward them a 1.

Sorry to disagree, but the judging panel at region 21 contest was a good mix. Brandon Brewer is at Princeton and has only taught corps, Jerry Payne has experience with military and corps bands, and Larry Ward has military background. Your comments infer that these gentlemen are incapable of fairly adjudicating bands with from both styles, which makes me think you are pretty far outside the loop of knowledge.

As far as military bands opting out of Area, everyone has his/her reason. Some of those reasons have nothing to do with marching style. Just because you formulate an opinion that makes sense to you doesn't mean a) you are correct, or b) you should voice your opinion, IMO. If you are that interested in the matter, I would suggest you call the directors of the military bands who are choosing to not attend Area and ask them why, rather than speculate.

Here are some FACTS for you to digest (from UIL website):

Military Bands at State Marching Contest

08 - New Boston (placed in finals), China Spring

07 - Carlisle, Tenaha, New Boston (placed in finals), DeKalb (placed in finals)

06 - info was not available

05 - Harleton (placed in finals), Overton, DeKalb (placed in finals), Union Grove

04 - didn't list prelims, no military bands made finals

03 - Overton (placed in finals), didn't list prelims, so not sure if more military bands competed

02 - didn't list prelims, no military bands made finals

01 - Overton won state, didn't list prelims, so not sure if more military bands competed

Sorry to disagree, but the judging panel at region 21 contest was a good mix. Brandon Brewer is at Princeton and has only taught corps, Jerry Payne has experience with military and corps bands, and Larry Ward has military background. Your comments infer that these gentlemen are incapable of fairly adjudicating bands with from both styles, which makes me think you are pretty far outside the loop of knowledge.

As far as military bands opting out of Area, everyone has his/her reason. Some of those reasons have nothing to do with marching style. Just because you formulate an opinion that makes sense to you doesn't mean a) you are correct, or b) you should voice your opinion, IMO. If you are that interested in the matter, I would suggest you call the directors of the military bands who are choosing to not attend Area and ask them why, rather than speculate.

Here are some FACTS for you to digest (from UIL website):

Military Bands at State Marching Contest

08 - New Boston (placed in finals), China Spring

07 - Carlisle, Tenaha, New Boston (placed in finals), DeKalb (placed in finals)

06 - info was not available

05 - Harleton (placed in finals), Overton, DeKalb (placed in finals), Union Grove

04 - didn't list prelims, no military bands made finals

03 - Overton (placed in finals), didn't list prelims, so not sure if more military bands competed

02 - didn't list prelims, no military bands made finals

01 - Overton won state, didn't list prelims, so not sure if more military bands competed

Touche'. However, the most recent year you listed is 2008, which isn't too impressive.

I understand how one can get a little heated over this conversation. It's tough to watch something that you're passionate about get more and more overlooked, especially when it's steeped with tradition, and I understand that. I enjoy SOME military bands. There have been a few that I've seen that have impressed me, but I have to admit that I enjoy core style more. And I've had a lot of experience in both styles. In my eyes, there's just so much more room for creativity in a core style marching show.

So, I'm sorry if you took my comments to be disheartening. I apologize. This is supposed to be about John Tyler, and I truly feel that they've come a long way. They deserve to be recognized for it.... Whether it's by a rating or not.

Touche'. However, the most recent year you listed is 2008, which isn't too impressive.

I understand how one can get a little heated over this conversation. It's tough to watch something that you're passionate about get more and more overlooked, especially when it's steeped with tradition, and I understand that. I enjoy SOME military bands. There have been a few that I've seen that have impressed me, but I have to admit that I enjoy core style more. And I've had a lot of experience in both styles. In my eyes, there's just so much more room for creativity in a core style marching show.

So, I'm sorry if you took my comments to be disheartening. I apologize. This is supposed to be about John Tyler, and I truly feel that they've come a long way. They deserve to be recognized for it.... Whether it's by a rating or not.

Sorry about info only going back to '08. That's where the list ended on the UIL web site. I don't really care what style you like more or why you like whichever style more, but you are just not right in calling out the judges the way you did. Give JT props all you want, but you should do so without trying to discredit a very credible and competent judging panel.

Sorry about info only going back to '08. That's where the list ended on the UIL web site. I don't really care what style you like more or why you like whichever style more, but you are just not right in calling out the judges the way you did. Give JT props all you want, but you should do so without trying to discredit a very credible and competent judging panel.

Well....

2009 -Advanced to state- Class A-Tenaha (made finals, 4th place), Carlisle (made finals, 7th place), Timpson. Class AA-Union Grove, and White Oak, both of which tied for 8th place I believe( only top 7 advance to finals)

Also in 2009 Lindale finished alternate to state in Area C behind Poteet, Waxahachie, and Forney, all of which advanced to finals at state, so they had real tough competition, and in Area F Vidor and Montgomery finished 4th and 5th, while they took the top 3 to state. As you can see not all directors are afraid of advancing, it may be tougher but they can compete.

2010 - AAA - Brownsboro, China Spring (placed 11th, top 10 advanced to finals) also remember that the area C contest got its finals canceled which could have changed which bands advanced to state there were 6 military bands in finals.

This year is 1A, 2A, and 4A again, none of the big schools are going to the Area C contest, and the other area who has military bands participate is F, which had its contest this past weekend, none advanced since they only took two to state this year but both Huntsville and Willis did very well finishing in the top 5 with Vidor close behind, so as you can see military bands can compete with anybody, and you bet there will be military bands in the smaller classes advancing.

Well....

2009 -Advanced to state- Class A-Tenaha (made finals, 4th place), Carlisle (made finals, 7th place), Timpson. Class AA-Union Grove, and White Oak, both of which tied for 8th place I believe( only top 7 advance to finals)

Also in 2009 Lindale finished alternate to state in Area C behind Poteet, Waxahachie, and Forney, all of which advanced to finals at state, so they had real tough competition, and in Area F Vidor and Montgomery finished 4th and 5th, while they took the top 3 to state. As you can see not all directors are afraid of advancing, it may be tougher but they can compete.

2010 - AAA - Brownsboro, China Spring (placed 11th, top 10 advanced to finals) also remember that the area C contest got its finals canceled which could have changed which bands advanced to state there were 6 military bands in finals.

This year is 1A, 2A, and 4A again, none of the big schools are going to the Area C contest, and the other area who has military bands participate is F, which had its contest this past weekend, none advanced since they only took two to state this year but both Huntsville and Willis did very well finishing in the top 5 with Vidor close behind, so as you can see military bands can compete with anybody, and you bet there will be military bands in the smaller classes advancing.

You all have some points. However, I would like to point out that only Lindale (correct me if I'm wrong) is the only one's of that group to get anywhere close on the 4A level. You don't see any of what you would consider the military powerhouses in there when it comes to 4A/5A. The only exception is Kingwood but thats because they're Kingwood. If I remember right they are the only 5A military band to ever make State Marching Finals. Came close to winning too but still. The conversation of Corps vs Military is a little more even 3A down to 1A but 4A & 5A is all Corps.

The old standards of the military march however great they maybe usually can't stand up to great corps productions and many of the directors in the East Texas area (4A/5A) know that and don't bother with getting ripped to shreds at Area (Lindale being a rare exception). I say Lindale because they know how to score points with not their drill (which they do a great job writing and performing) but with the very elusive percussion score that just kills many military bands chances of progressing. They have used a front percussion ensemble for many years and trust me it matters at Area. That's why Lindale is ahead of the curve, even ahead of most 4A and 5A military bands.

Now if you have a great wind ensemble at the 1,2 and 3A level you can sometimes get away with a very low percussion score but it makes it that much more difficult because as much as miltary director hate to think it, percussion is still part of the complete ensemble sound. I would really like to be proved wrong about this observation. Personally I am very partial to the Nacogdoches band in the 4A level. That band for many years has had an amazing sound with VERY well though out drill and execution by the students. They are one of the 4A bands that I think could have a chance but they would need to go so we could all see them match up.

Now to John Tyler. You guys are a nice change of pace at the 4A level being the only corps band in that division at Region 21. Now like someone said before it is unfair to criticize the judges when they are expecienced in both styles of marching band. I have seen great improvement in the JT band over the last few years. Now unfotunately you will always be compared to Lee which is a tough thing for you all because the schools have 2 completely different bands. You all (JT) have less room for error. Being an upper division school doesn't help much either. All I can say is keep getting better and the 1st division will come in time. I will say that there have been some years especially recently that I feel that JT did enough to deserve a 1st division and I'm not the only one that was left scratching my head thinking foul, but I'm not a judge. You have to trust those people to make proper assesments of each band. Keep working JT band, you'll get there!

You all have some points. However, I would like to point out that only Lindale (correct me if I'm wrong) is the only one's of that group to get anywhere close on the 4A level. You don't see any of what you would consider the military powerhouses in there when it comes to 4A/5A. The only exception is Kingwood but thats because they're Kingwood. If I remember right they are the only 5A military band to ever make State Marching Finals. Came close to winning too but still. The conversation of Corps vs Military is a little more even 3A down to 1A but 4A & 5A is all Corps.

The old standards of the military march however great they maybe usually can't stand up to great corps productions and many of the directors in the East Texas area (4A/5A) know that and don't bother with getting ripped to shreds at Area (Lindale being a rare exception). I say Lindale because they know how to score points with not their drill (which they do a great job writing and performing) but with the very elusive percussion score that just kills many military bands chances of progressing. They have used a front percussion ensemble for many years and trust me it matters at Area. That's why Lindale is ahead of the curve, even ahead of most 4A and 5A military bands.

Now if you have a great wind ensemble at the 1,2 and 3A level you can sometimes get away with a very low percussion score but it makes it that much more difficult because as much as miltary director hate to think it, percussion is still part of the complete ensemble sound. I would really like to be proved wrong about this observation. Personally I am very partial to the Nacogdoches band in the 4A level. That band for many years has had an amazing sound with VERY well though out drill and execution by the students. They are one of the 4A bands that I think could have a chance but they would need to go so we could all see them match up.

Now to John Tyler. You guys are a nice change of pace at the 4A level being the only corps band in that division at Region 21. Now like someone said before it is unfair to criticize the judges when they are expecienced in both styles of marching band. I have seen great improvement in the JT band over the last few years. Now unfotunately you will always be compared to Lee which is a tough thing for you all because the schools have 2 completely different bands. You all (JT) have less room for error. Being an upper division school doesn't help much either. All I can say is keep getting better and the 1st division will come in time. I will say that there have been some years especially recently that I feel that JT did enough to deserve a 1st division and I'm not the only one that was left scratching my head thinking foul, but I'm not a judge. You have to trust those people to make proper assesments of each band. Keep working JT band, you'll get there!

That's the same thing i believe, 3A and down have better chances because let's face it the bigger schools have better resources. However at the 4A level Lindale is not the only one to have come close recently, Vidor down in region 10, area F came just as close to making it to state in 2009 and this year both Huntsville and Willis finished among the top five, behind both Dawson and Friendswood both of whom should be state finalists. I agree with Nacogdoches they could do very well, but I guess we will never find out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...