Track Meets

KarnackKing

Since public education is going down the drain, the coaching world is soon to be gone I decided to rant about track meets and what makes them wonderful:

1. If I hear a coach or kid say "PR" one more time, I'm gonna drown myself.

2. I enjoy coaches that sprint sideline to sideline screaming times.

3. Pole Vault needs to last longer and i'm shocked I have never witnessed a broken something or death during the event.

4. Long distance kids.....freaks

5. Backpacks and visors

6. Track girls that lay up under the bleachers all day, listen to ipods and eat, but event time, they've hurt something and can't go.

7. More tattoos

8. New excuses every meet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite complaint:

When they say "Down in the infield" , and half the people have to be told, "Everyone AND YOU!", like they can't be bothered with "Courtesy and Rules".

Don't get between a distance "freak" and the bathroom stall...

(don't ask)

At lower grades, how many kids appear to be there that don't appear to be, or to have participated in ANY events.

Reference the IPOD and Nacho crowd. It's a day out of class, chatting live with your Facebook friends.

Poor, dedicated parents, waiting all day to see Johnny or Suzie in their event, with no idea at all what time it will be.

Bring the Camcorder, and pay attention. Being back at the car getting your jacket is when they run...

Being the parent of a distance "freak", and having to be there at the Beginning AND the End, because nobody else wants to do the 1600 AND 3200.

Watching kids do the high jump with some kind of poorly imitated form of the flop, and knocking the bar down at a height so low, they could hurdle it if it would occur to them.

Gotta love the student with All Heart. Running in a race he has no chance in, but doesn't care, because he represents the school and himself, and does the best he can. He may get lapped by the leader in the 1600, but at least he's trying. Not like some kids who participate in hardly anything, have more talent, would probably do better, but have the nerve to sit in the stands with other non-participants, and belittle his effort.

I love to clap for those kids as they finally come in, (as do almost all the parents).

My favorite complaint:

When they say "Down in the infield" , and half the people have to be told, "Everyone AND YOU!", like they can't be bothered with "Courtesy and Rules".

Don't get between a distance "freak" and the bathroom stall...

(don't ask)

At lower grades, how many kids appear to be there that don't appear to be, or to have participated in ANY events.

Reference the IPOD and Nacho crowd. It's a day out of class, chatting live with your Facebook friends.

Poor, dedicated parents, waiting all day to see Johnny or Suzie in their event, with no idea at all what time it will be.

Bring the Camcorder, and pay attention. Being back at the car getting your jacket is when they run...

Being the parent of a distance "freak", and having to be there at the Beginning AND the End, because nobody else wants to do the 1600 AND 3200.

Watching kids do the high jump with some kind of poorly imitated form of the flop, and knocking the bar down at a height so low, they could hurdle it if it would occur to them.

Gotta love the student with All Heart. Running in a race he has no chance in, but doesn't care, because he represents the school and himself, and does the best he can. He may get lapped by the leader in the 1600, but at least he's trying. Not like some kids who participate in hardly anything, have more talent, would probably do better, but have the nerve to sit in the stands with other non-participants, and belittle his effort.

I love to clap for those kids as they finally come in, (as do almost all the parents).

That's what is wrong with America....cheering for the mediocre. Should we give him an "effort" medal?

I can give you some good ones from the private school side.

(1) Track meet scheduled to start at 4:00. We really start at 4:30 because without the other 2 teams its only us...

(2) We break for field events... they take 3 hours.

(3) Because the field events are so demanding, we need a 45 min break before we start running.

(4) The "officials" for the event measure the long and triple jump from the front foot instead of the back.

(5) (I'm an athletic trainer just so you understand this next one) 2mile starts at 7:00, girl comes up at 6:45 and says "my hamstring hurts." Respond "Where were you at 5:30?" Girl: "At Rosa's getting a snack." What did you do to hurt it? "I don't know" Respond "Ok we will talk after your race."

(6) We had a "practice meet" against another local school (just 2 schools). It lasted 5 hours...

I am sure there is more, if this is still running Thursday, I am sure I'll have some fresh material.

Actually, part of me agrees with frogoff. Not completely, but if you're in competitive athletics, you're not just playing for a participation ribbon, you're playing to better yourself and win. If you play for a participation ribbon in the real world (like jobs and what not), you'll eventually fail. I don't like the laziness many people have when it comes to sports, and life. America is a country of the lackadaisical.

However, I do commend quality effort and doing your best. If you try and work hard, then that's all you can ask for. If you show heart, everything will fall into place.

Actually, part of me agrees with frogoff. Not completely, but if you're in competitive athletics, you're not just playing for a participation ribbon, you're playing to better yourself and win. If you play for a participation ribbon in the real world (like jobs and what not), you'll eventually fail. I don't like the laziness many people have when it comes to sports, and life. America is a country of the lackadaisical.

However, I do commend quality effort and doing your best. If you try and work hard, then that's all you can ask for. If you show heart, everything will fall into place.

What's really sad is sometimes that is the best kid at your school for that event...

Ain't that the truth. And more power to the kid for trying.

What some people don't understand about some of these "mediocres" is that they really do bust their butts day in and day out and just don't have the natural ability to get results. On the other hand, some people feel bad for the kid, when the kid never works at it, never tries in practice, and never does anything whatsoever. Sometimes the kid is best fit playing tiddly winks or something else.

Frogoff has got to be the biggest idiot on smoaky.com. This person makes the most ignorant comments on here day in and day out. Obviously no clue about sports or athletics or life in general. Just an observation.

Examples please...

I love track as it is up to you to perform your best. No one else to pick up the block you might have missed. No one there to back you up for an errant throw to second base. No one to slide over from the weak side and help play defense.

There may be kids there just to get out of class. But if they don't go to the workouts and train, bet these coaches don't let them go to meets.

It takes guts to get out there and run with a crowd of folks(sometimes very small) watching, at least it was for me many years ago.

How can you not enjoy the excitement exhibited by girls relay teams.

No intention for negative posts, just odd observations I've made lately. I love competition and track allows nothing but. I just notice the changing of times in kids and coaches and I like to laugh at things. I figure we had better enjoy the good times now and hope that the people running the show make some good choices, or somebody buys em out. However government/politics work.

The smell of fresh cut grass mixed with icy hot.

That wooooooo sound black folks make during the sprints. *my favorite*

A kid getting ready for their event and there is a look in their eyes that says they are no longer with you, they are completely focused on the task at hand and in another world. This is not to be confused with the blank "I have no idea what you are talking about" aka confused puppy look a teenager normally has.

As far as clapping for the kid goes. I clap for them cause they still have to stones to finish when they know they aren't going to win and they are dead last. Instead of being a quitter and just stepping off the track.

The smell of fresh cut grass mixed with icy hot.

That wooooooo sound black folks make during the sprints. *my favorite*

A kid getting ready for their event and there is a look in their eyes that says they are no longer with you, they are completely focused on the task at hand and in another world. This is not to be confused with the blank "I have no idea what you are talking about" aka confused puppy look a teenager normally has.

As far as clapping for the kid goes. I clap for them cause they still have to stones to finish when they know they aren't going to win and they are dead last. Instead of being a quitter and just stepping off the track.

Wow....have you ever left east Texas?