Impending Federal Government Shutdown

bordertown

Is this a mess? I guess it depends on your perspective. If you are a Tea Party member - its a day of celebration. You want this day - even if it is for a weekend, there will be less government.

If you are dependent on government, this is a scary proposition.

I have enjoyed the spin. Obama blaming the Republicans for acting like "children". Republicans blaming the Democrats for reckless spending, when they are in fact major contributors to the debt. Pork is Pork - it is the other "white meat" whether you are Democrat or Republican.

The federal government ran a program to combat drugs call "Just Say No". Unfortunately it should have been part of freshman orientation in Congress.

In all of this trashing, we are missing the overall problem. Today is April 6, 2011. The government has been operating since October 1, 2010 without a budget - we are in the 7th month of a budgetless fiscal year. Why do we not have a budget? The Democrats controlled the House, Senate & the Administrative branch prior to January 2011. Why was no budget passed? I suspect the Congressional races where Democrats were under assault were the reason. Don't give the opposition any ammunition.

The truth is a government shutdown is due to a lack of governance by our elected officials. Our legislators should be planning the budget for 2011-2012, not working on the next 6 months.

True, Bordertown. A ploy by the Dems... they knew what November 2010 would hold, so it was a political ploy - we know what R's will do - they'll want to cut the budget, so we'll blame everything on them... perfect to get to 2012.

Even with the R's plans - it's still not enough. If they're going to be serious about it, it's going to have to be an R in the White House and R's dominating both the Senate and the House. Otherwise, the libs and progressive R's will keep on a trucking to our doom.

What will be shutdown if we shut it down....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOVERNMENT_SHUTDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-06-11-51-27

So they want the boys to keep fighting, but they're not gonna pay 'em.....I thought Dept. of Defense was not one of the ones they could that with. Unfortunately, the boys and their families may need to hold on for a bit. (that's disgusting!)

I didn't remember it being 21 days before... I must have took vacation then... LOL!

Oh, yes and no, but I don't care - SHUT IT DOWN! LOL! That's only ONE of the clients I have and not the biggest... more like biggest pain, because they're all daily transcripts. I did have an DoD EEOC case scheduled up at a base north of here, and it canceled today - was supposed to start on Monday, go 3 days...I still don't care- SHUT IT DOWN! The base of my work is state district court work... so, no, won't affect me, just less phone calls and less getting into the panic mode.

I did notice the NFL went to federal court rather than NLRB...guess they can't do anything either...judge is supposed to make a decision in 2 weeks, but he's not going to have any of his law clerks, I guess... awwwww, poor guys!

Once it gets cranking again, we'll be inundated by pages and pages.

As far as the Dancing with the Stars... I have no idea - I don't have the patience to watch that mess...I work on the days hubby watches that mess. LOL!

We're going to have to do something now rather than later. It's kind of like the mortgage crisis - at which point I know more than I'd like to know - somebody's been dinging the darned warning bell and nobody's listening.

Still even the R's plan doesn't go far enough. If we were shutdown for 21 days last time, I don't remember any kind of big yahoo going on... I'm still alive, as most of us are, and don't particularly remember being "burdened".

Just like in 1995, D's blames R's and R's blamed D's. When will we see it for what it is; campaign strategy for the next election!

History is bound to repeat itself. From Wikipedia.............

The Republicans blamed Clinton for the shutdown, and Clinton blamed the Republicans. Public opinion favored the president; Clinton's approval rating fell precipitously during the shutdown,[3] but once it had ended they rose to their highest since his election. The Republicans' support was further diminished two days later when Gingrich made a widely-reported complaint about being snubbed by Clinton; Tom DeLay called it "the mistake of [Gingrich's] life".[1]

DeLay writes in his book No Retreat, No Surrender:[4]

"He told a room full of reporters that he forced the shutdown because Clinton had rudely made him and Bob Dole sit at the back of Air Force One... Newt had been careless to say such a thing, and now the whole moral tone of the shutdown had been lost. What had been a noble battle for fiscal sanity began to look like the tirade of a spoiled child. The revolution, I can tell you, was never the same."

Gingrich's complaint gave rise to the perception of his behaving in a petty egotistical manner, and Clinton defended the seating arrangement as a courtesy to Gingrich, the back of the plane being closer to his pickup car.[1] Later, the polls suggested that the event badly damaged Gingrich politically.[5]

The shutdown also influenced the 1996 presidential election. Bob Dole, the Senate Majority Leader, was running for president in 1996. Because of his need to campaign, Dole wanted to solve the budget crisis in January 1996 despite the willingness of other Republicans to continue the shutdown unless their demands were met. In particular, as Gingrich and Dole had been seen as potential rivals for the 1996 presidential nomination, they had a tense working relationship.[6][7] The shutdown also has been cited as having a role in Clinton's successful re-election in 1996.[8]

What Wikipedia doesn't also explain is because of the govt. shutdown during Clinton's years, he realized he wasn't going to be able to keep fighting the R's... so he played nice, and moved back to center right...Because he moved back to center right, progressives and independents voted for him.

They don't tell you that, do they? LOL!

Dems can play this game, but in the end, because we're so close to broke, it'll implode... and when it gets so bad, folks will be mad as heckie pooh, and there will many, many years of R controlled White House and Congress. And there won't be blaming Bush anymore... it'll be 8 years of Obama, Pelosi (2 years) and Reid who's blamed.

What goes around, comes around. Bush and team had an opportunity - they didn't take it. They fumbled the ball, literally. Because of their actions and/or inactions, it paved the way for libs, a "charismatic" individual running against an old feeble guy who didn't have a clue.

That is a bit misleading of expenditures 6x greater than revenues using February. I hate it when either side uses misleading data. I would prefer my "point of view" not fall into the trap of sound bite facts.

Lets dissect February. I will assume the expense side accurate. But the federal revenue is not a straight line collection process. The wage earner had money withheld and contributed to the federal coffers. But Bill Gates, George Soros & friends made estimated tax payments in January and will contribute again in April. Most corporations have calendar quarters as fiscal year ends and would not make estimated tax payments in February. Additionally W-2s are issued at the end of January and a large portion of your population expecting refunds file as soon as they get their W-2. I suspect these refunds go against tax collections.

The truth is we do not run our federal government in a fiscally responsible basis. Expenditures grossly exceed revenues. That is a problem.

That is a bit misleading of expenditures 6x greater than revenues using February. I hate it when either side uses misleading data. I would prefer my "point of view" not fall into the trap of sound bite facts.

Lets dissect February. I will assume the expense side accurate. But the federal revenue is not a straight line collection process. The wage earner had money withheld and contributed to the federal coffers. But Bill Gates, George Soros & friends made estimated tax payments in January and will contribute again in April. Most corporations have calendar quarters as fiscal year ends and would not make estimated tax payments in February. Additionally W-2s are issued at the end of January and a large portion of your population expecting refunds file as soon as they get their W-2. I suspect these refunds go against tax collections.

The truth is we do not run our federal government in a fiscally responsible basis. Expenditures grossly exceed revenues. That is a problem.

True. If your assumptions are correct, then we'e assuming Gates, Soros and friends are actually making quarterly payments. GE sure didn't have to, apparently. What's missing, however, is the govt runs from October 1st, 2009 to September 30th, 2010. It hadn't had a budget and doesn't have one. It had funds appropriated somewhat, so the funds it's received, if any, between that date are funds that are going out in 2011. Some corporations have the same "fiscal year" as the govt, others do not, they go by calendar years.

No matter what works out in the wash, we're still in a pot full of (can't think of the right word right now... LOL)

Well today, obama says no to one week extension. It is on!!!! Tell everyone you see , or blog, or write thatthe Republicans tried to negoiate and obama WOULD NOT, spin should not be otherwise!!!

Oh, good grief!

R's passed it in the House to extend it for a week

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-spending-resolution-20110408,0,2265172.story

And Obama says to shut down ... he even left... just left...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/7/senate-leader-reid-government-headed-shutdown/

Shut it down!!!!!! His arrogance knows no bounds.

Where ya been Doc? I was worried about ya. TDY cant tell? Oh, we could shut it down and the military could still get their checks. They are using military as a tool for fear. You know obama is a terrible leader, but now threatening military pay, he is a chickensheet. Lots of difference in a Spec 4 and GS-4.

Well I was over there fighting the good fight for a while, came back in Februrary. Went home on leave for 30 days and enjoyed life. Now im back at work in North Carolina!

You may think your boss is a jerk, but mine doesn't want to pay me, and still expects me to come to work! psssh yeah right. I don't work for free buddy!

This shutdown will screw up alot of things in the military community because all the government civilians will be no where to be found and we rely pretty heavy on them on a daily basis!

As useless as a third row on a boar hog?? Thats even more useless.

LOL! Something like that. It amazes me, nobody wants to make a decision; it's everybody else's fault; no, that's not my job; I don't have time, I'm too busy; that's not what I meant; I'm taking a day off; I've already had 2 hours overtime this week; somebody else will have to contact you; sorry, let me pass you on to so and so; then it comes back to... that's not in my job description....

Amazes me that's what my tax dollars are going for.

I love how Harry Reid is trying to turn all of this into Republicans not helping women to get cancer screening. It's about Planned Parenthood, plain and simple. Why should Planned Parenthood even be getting any government funds ? I maybe wrong, but when I was growing up the only reason people went to Planned Parenthood was for "free" condoms. You can buy those at almost any city street corner. I'm sure they council with pregnant teen girls and women on how to obtain a federally funded abortion as well. I don't get it.

I love how Harry Reid is trying to turn all of this into Republicans not helping women to get cancer screening. It's about Planned Parenthood, plain and simple. Why should Planned Parenthood even be getting any government funds ? I maybe wrong, but when I was growing up the only reason people went to Planned Parenthood was for "free" condoms. You can buy those at almost any city street corner. I'm sure they council with pregnant teen girls and women on how to obtain a federally funded abortion as well. I don't get it.

They turned around and gave millions to the Democrat Party?? Yep, they they take your tax money, and elect democrats with it, who in turn will vote more money to Planned parenhood, who in turn will spend more of your money to elect democrats-- right??

I'm irked! They caved. Cowards! 39 billion out of how many trillion now... what, is that even 5%?

I want to see who voted for this stupid thing! And let's see how the "presidential hopefuls" voted...

If they'll cave on something like this, even this bunch we have in there now, aren't brave enough to do what's needed, even if they have a majority.

They have a deal in there on defending Obamacare, but the Senate has to have a majority on that part, which isn't going to happen.

This happens as taxpayer's food and fuel costs rise... and now interest rates rising in June.

Huckabee's on Fox News right now saying it was a good deal, you have to compromise, blah, blah, blah...